'Oppenheimer' Nolanfans User Reviews

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I'm still thinking about how the film starts with Oppenheimer staring at raindrops creating ripples in a puddle of water. Then the film ends with him staring at ripples in the lake - symbolizing the ripple effect and the chain reaction caused by the creation of the bomb. Bringing everything full.
Nolan you poetic genius!

Second time is even better. 11/10.

Third time... And I cried a Lot.

That was a lot to take in... I’ll just say this: The last hour is my favorite. It’s interesting to see that people are divided on this issue.

Just saw this.

I was hyping this up for a year, considering I love Nolan and everything he has done so far.

It was a good film, but unfortunately far from the masterpiece I expected it to be and what the trailers indicated it was going to be.

It focuses way too much on the political, court room drama stuff (Strauss scenes) and not enough on the scientific stuff happening with the creation of the bomb at Los Alamos. The last hour especially drags the whole film down by at least 2 points with all the names they drop and jumps between timelines.

Brilliantly acted by Cillian and all the supporting cast and beautiful on a visual, sound and production design level, but I don't think it was worth the IMAX shooting efforts just for a 7 minute detonation scene (including the build up). The entirety of the rest of the film was just dialogues, not worth to be seen in that format, as it's mostly close-ups.

And about the detonation scene, it's the first time i wish Nolan had actually used some CGI to enhance it, as it looked way too small and like they stacked couple of hundreds of kilos of TNT and blew them up.

It looks very underwhelming compared to the real restored HD footage on YT and Nolan and Hoyte tried to mask it with a few close-up shots.

I hope you enjoy it more than I did. I am seeing it again IMAX in a week and I hope i appreciate it more on a second watch.

Currently I'd give it a 7/10.

Just saw Oppenheimer, had several hours to process it at least a bit, so I'll give a few of my initial thoughts.

In short, as a film, Oppenheimer was nearly perfect, and is currently my favorite film. Everyone was just firing on all cylinders, creating one of the most awe-inspiring film experiences I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing (and I haven't seen it in IMAX yet!). I am fully willing to admit that I teared up at the end. Honestly, this doesn't really feel like a Christopher Nolan film; it feels like he's dramatically matured as a filmmaker, and this film represents a culmination of sorts for him. But everyone already knows how good it is, and I have nothing more to add on that front, so I'll just focus on what I thought were the negatives. For fun! :P
The things I'm having the most trouble with justifying are two of the sex scenes. The one that included the Bhagavad Gita was... weird? It just felt like a bizarre and contrived way to include the famous line somewhere prior to Trinity, and it felt off. But the thing that I'm really having trouble justifying is that one sex scene during the security hearing, which I'm surprised nobody's mentioned (or maybe they have and I just missed it). Frankly, reading the transcript of the hearing, it is uncomfortable seeing Oppenheimer confess to his affair with Tatlock while Kitty is in the room right behind him, and I hoped, if Nolan included that scene, that it would be appropriately uncomfortable. But this seemed like too much, and it almost took me out of the film completely (as soon as the camera panned behind Robb to unveil a naked Oppie, you could hear chuckles and mild laughter from the rest of the audience); Emily Blunt's acting alone was enough to sell the emotions of that scene, so I'm not sure why Nolan went overboard. Genuinely really curious what people thought of that scene, since it's really the only major thing I can't justify.

Everything else here I'll mention is just me nitpicking, or just specific stuff about my experience with the film.

The first third of the film was extremely fast-paced. I was wondering how Nolan would manage to fit forty years into a three hour film, and that first third showed me exactly how he did that: by skipping through every bit of his life in rapid sequence, not giving the audience a chance to breathe at all. I personally wonder if that's because I'm familiar with the history enough that every single line of dialogue felt loaded with information, but some of the other folks I was with thought that, if they hadn't known at least some of the history beforehand, the first third would be impossibly fast to follow along. Very curious what people experiencing this story for the first time through this film think.

The Trinity test scene was interesting. Everything about the build-up and the immediate aftermath was damn perfect... except for the fact that it was so painfully obvious that the shots of the explosion and fireball were of a chemical explosion much smaller than a nuclear one. On the one hand, duh, they didn't film a nuclear explosion, obviously. But on the other, it made the explosion feel less threatening than it should have been, in my opinion. The cinematography, the editing, the score, the acting, it was all perfect during that scene; it was just that the explosion felt small. I wish that they didn't hype up this scene in the promotional material, because it's important for audiences coming in to recognize that the impact of this film comes from the intimate character study and the political drama, not from a "cool explosion." (Speaking of cool, I'll just say I loved how Nolan prepared us - visually and auditorily - for the Trinity test by first showing a test of an explosive lens, then the 100-ton test, then Trinity itself, with each explosion being louder, more visually spectacular, and having a more noticeable delayed sound in each iteration. It was good filmmaking!)

Now... that divisive last third of the film. I personally really liked it, but I can understand why one might have problems with it. It felt, for lack of a better word, jumbled, as if Nolan took the scenes of and relating to the 1954 hearings, put them all in a blender, and strung them together as they came out. Maybe it felt jumbled because I know roughly the chronological order of which witnesses testified when, maybe it's because everyone always uses Teller's testimony as the dramatic climax of the hearings and Nolan put that testimony in early, maybe it was something else, but it definitely felt like the film became a bit unfocused. Maybe it was because the film almost completely skipped the period between 1946 and 1953 and I kept waiting to return to those years (the H-bomb debate was so short, Project Vista was omitted completely, and Oppenheimer's call for candor was one scene!), so perhaps it'll feel more natural on a second viewing, knowing in advance how quickly the film jumps from 1945 to the hearings.
But overall, I absolutely and completely fell in love with this film. It was like I was watching humanity's obituary. I definitely had more thoughts on it, but I just spent a couple hours in animated discussion with the folks I went to see it with (including one who once worked at Los Alamos for a summer, and was somewhat traumatized by the film) and I'm a bit burnt out!

I personally didn't find the detonation scene small by any means. I was absolutely engulfed in the visuals, it looked awe-inspiring.

An extraordinary movie, and experience.

Truly incredible from start to finish, it never let up. The last hour is up there with the very best of Nolan. This imo will be the movie we look back on as his true masterpiece.

All the cast exceptional, especially Cillian & RDJ.

5/5.

Forum Pro
Law
Absolutely loved it. 9/10.. For me this is right behind The Prestige and I consider that Nolan's best film. I have to see it again, because for a little over a year I've been waiting for this movie and tried to dissect everything about it before seeing it. So next time, I'll be more focused on the story instead of trying to guess how Nolan opens the film or what the structure of it is. Lots of praise towards Cillian, Downey Jr, Blunt .. but I didn't think Hartnett would have that amount of screen time and he killed it.

Also.. the best scene in the film
Don't let that crybaby back in here
:lol:

The editing, sound, score, everything ... Image

Friend@Dusk wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 4:50 am
I personally didn't find the detonation scene small by any means. I was absolutely engulfed in the visuals, it looked awe-inspiring.
Yeah, my guess is that all my nitpicks, like that one, will go away completely upon a second viewing, now that I know what to expect.