"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Don't usually post my writing on here but pretty excited to share my essay into Oppenheimer for Bright Wall/Dark Room's end of the year issue:

I. “The Burial of the Dead”

It’s July of 2023 and I’m pulled to the screen like gravity, watching a gaunt face with piercing eyes study a dance of ripples in water, the tea leaves of consequence to come. Next, a concert of flame and flashes of swirling red-orange geometry, bulbs of detonating subatomic particles and pillars of cumulonimbus fire, blazing in his mind’s eye. I am watching “Fission,” the 8,000-foot-wide detonation of energy from the splitting of the atom, only now imagined in retrospect, a roiling thought deep behind the eyes of that same gaunt face 30 years later, about to justify his whole life.

As he sits in a claustrophobic office for a kangaroo court with a predetermined outcome, I soon enter the mazed oceans of his mind, the organizing principles of what I see and how I see it, as one thought surfs into the next through associative semiotic and literal metaphors. Mention of a difficult time abroad sharply transitions to him as an anguished schoolboy, igniting a new round of frenzied abstractions, and I now gaze at churning cyclones of energy and light. Thoughts, images, moments: provoked and unprovoked by direct lines of inquiry, interrogated by crisply-suited and belligerent attorneys who sit as judges accountable to no one, flaying bare the fevered contradictions of the “sphinx-like guru of the atom,” a mind as inscrutable to me, to us, as to his friends—and ultimately, possibly, himself.
Full essay here:
https://www.brightwalldarkroom.com/2024 ... he-sheets/

-Vader