Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
One thing that so far sounds like an improvement is people hearing the dialog. I only heard one complaint about it

dariomattei wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 1:11 am
I've seen this. London Premiere.

What did you guys want to know?

It's an obscure enough forum that I'm not too worried about word getting out.

P.S. I won't spoil the film by giving out details, out of respect for the film. But I can discuss it in vague terms. What I liked about it. And how it comes off. That sorta thing.
Hm, all the reviewers have spoken very highly of Cillian and RDJ and Emily, but do you have any other comments in terms of acting? How did some of the scientists' portrayals seem (I'm most interested in Jack Quaid as Feynman and Kenneth Branagh as Niels Bohr... and if Josh Peck did ok lol)

It's a great shame the conversation here is being driven by this new lot.

You should return to your other forums and leave this place for actual fans.

MyCocaine wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 2:28 am
It's a great shame the conversation here is being driven by this new lot.

You should return to your other forums and leave this place for actual fans.
oi dont scare the new guys, i miss when you posted actually, back when i only lurked and didnt have an account.

hasanahmad wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 12:11 am
if going by score. Mission Impossible has already won the summer and its not doing well at box office
M:I is doing very good at the B.O. Wtf are you talking about?

Strochakovic wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:43 am
hasanahmad wrote:
if going by score. Mission Impossible has already won the summer and its not doing well at box office
it barely made money compared to past franchises and this weekend will collapse when Barbie and Oppenheimer hit

hasanahmad wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:45 am
Strochakovic wrote:
hasanahmad wrote:
it barely made money compared to past franchises and this weekend will collapse when Barbie and Oppenheimer hit
You are wrong here, that is a fact.

hasanahmad wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:45 am
Strochakovic wrote:
hasanahmad wrote:
Incorrect, it made more £ worldwide than any previous MI movie opening weekend. US was slightly under expectation but worldwide it was above.

Actually, Mission impossible isn’t doing well at the box office. Considering its budget was something like $300m (marketing not included) and it will see an enormous drop next weekend due to Barbenheimer, it probably won’t end up being profitable. It needs something like $750-850m to be profitable, that just ain’t happening. Hopefully it can co-exist together with Barbenheimer and streaming numbers and disc sales will be good.

EDIT: on another note: $60m opening weekend seems to be the floor for Oppenheimer right now. Saw some people speculating it could end up in high 60s - even low 70s.

Interesting, at my local cinema, multiple shows per day have been added because the LieMax shows have been very popular in sales.

Banter wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 3:53 am
Actually, Mission impossible isn’t doing well at the box office. Considering its budget was something like $300m (marketing not included) and it will see an enormous drop next weekend due to Barbenheimer, it probably won’t end up being profitable. It needs something like $750-850m to be profitable, that just ain’t happening. Hopefully it can co-exist together with Barbenheimer and streaming numbers and disc sales will be good.
Again not true, franchise best first weekend worldwide. I think some just look at the US box office (other countries do exist!).

It needs to make around $400m to be profitable according to Variety and it’ll pass that worldwide shortly. Great to see it doing well, top movie.

Great word for Oppenheimer in the main, predict RT 86%.