Oppenheimer - Early Reactions

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Would be really hard for it to match Dunkirk reception but I hope this can have like an 8/10 average and near 90% on RT or something. Since Tenet was more muted reception, hoping that Oppenheimer will regain some trust for some.

Vader182 wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 2:24 pm
I'm going to caution people to possibly anticipate a slightly more muted reception than that towards Dunkirk.

I've talked to a few people who've seen it and they all loved it (albeit, like us, big Nolan people), but they also warned me audiences and indeed critics may find it too slow, long, talky, or too structurally much.

I will also point out that very few press are seeing it before July 17th or 18th. In fact, only a relatively small handful of actual critics have seen it so far. Mostly, it's junket press. So keep that in mind when early reactions drop.

-Vader
Good stuff man, thanks

How long now until reactions?

MyCocaine wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm
I could be mistaken, but I think it's in 75 minutes.

MyCocaine wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 2:40 pm
About 4 and 15 minutes

"The female characters suffer from a lack of development. (...) Overall, the film lacks emotion."

Cliché in any "post-The Dark Knight" Nolan's movie review.

I care very little about Oppenheimer getting same or near ratings to that of Dunkirk. For example, The Prestige is way down in Metacritic score (to mention one) compared to other Nolan films that came after yet it is considered now different by a lot of people as you all probably know. I mainly care about reactions/reviews to see how that might affect box office wise.

"Lack of emotion" I have seen that brought up in a lot of his movies that I even see it as a cliche now. "Female characters" i feel there are critics who exaggerate on that. Just like some people don’t consider or even think Dunkirk comes close to a horror film either.

I say, wait for the movie and each of you see what is your take then, which I think we should be aware by now. To me some people seem already predisposed to stuff just because of possible reviews and whatnot. Just my opinion.

Kenneth Turan and Joshua Rothkopf both hailed the film.

Let's not give anymore oxygen to some random and anonymous self-proclaimed critic.