Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
dunkirkk wrote:
August 11th, 2023, 7:18 pm
Last time I saw IMAX 70mm was Dunkirk during its fourth week in theaters. There was no one else in the theater. Nowadays Oppenheimer is still selling out theaters. How did IMAX 70mm become so popular??? Genuinely asking!
In my opinion people have become more aware and knowledgeable of the premium large formats, especially with "Real IMAX" experiences...and more movies getting IMAX releases, Dune had only about 2.5weeks in IMAX and had to be rereleased...last Bond movie, in real IMAX you could clearly see the difference in image quality between IMAX scenes and regular scenes...I remember a friend of mine asked me why some scenes had much higher resolution...

on the other hand, instead of increasing the number Real IMAX theaters and 70mm(1570), the number drastically decreased...for example in midwest, legit theaters with perfect sound systems got closed in Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois. And some got rid of their projectors, such as Branson IMAX.

I guess the "barbenheimer" had an impact too, especially when it's advertised only 19IMAX theaters showing it in 70mm.

As I mentioned earlier, theaters need to have more Dolby and IMAX rooms, not just one.

i agree, and i think PLF screens are the future of the theater experience, its all about giving us an experience we cant get home, technically speaking, the whole communal experience thing is an add on and its subjective for a lot of people.

Imax digital for me was def way better than my first viewing, which was in standard format.

And the digital Imax was on a screen that used to show 70mm Imax in the Dark Knight days. So screen was still huge, and for Oppenheimer the aspect ratios still changed between Imax and 65mm scenes. Nice to see it fill up the screen for those Imax scenes.

If I remember from Nolan's other films, I think the screen brightness and resolution felt better for Imax 70mm though (I saw TDKR, Interstellar, and Dunkirk all in 70mm Imax). Which would make sense since Imax digital's resolution is more limited.

But I'll get to see Oppenheimer in 70mm Imax in a few weeks, so I'll get to compare then.

The only IMAX theatre in my town just decided to share the screen between Oppie and Blue Beetle through august 23rd.

Just drove 4.5 hours yesterday to see this at the Mall of Georgia (my second viewing, first viewing was at a Liemax). Definitely worth it, though it’s a smaller theater than I expected... maybe because I’m used to the size of the Bullock IMAX in Austin where I used to live and saw Dunkirk and Tenet. While I enjoyed the experience at MOG overall, I was more impressed with the sound system at the Bullock.

Here in Los Angeles we're currently experiencing a tropical storm (was actually previously a hurricane, but since been downgraded). Being advised to stay inside due to flooding, etc.

Decided to look at the Universal Citywalk IMAX just for the hell of it, and despite the storm, the evening showings of Oppenheimer are still almost fully booked

If IMAX really wants to capitalize 70mm IMAX film then they need to release more movies in this format. Otherwise who knows when the next 70mm IMAX release will be? Especially with the strike going on.

They should release Dune Part Two on 70mm IMAX to capitalize off of Oppenheimer's success. Like that movie is already gonna be HUGE for IMAX. It's 100% IMAX 1.43 aspect ratio too.

They can just scan it onto IMAX film and present it. Anyone think that's a good idea? Especially since 70mm IMAX has become to popular.

I don’t think this is an IMAX decision to make. You bet they would love to do it. It’s up to WB to pay for prints.

First Man, Wonder Woman 1984, No Time To Die, and Nope - are recent films that were shot partially in IMAX but the studios did not make any 70mm prints and relied completely on DCPs.

But again I think all of them were finished digitally so the cost of making a few print outs or blow ups for a small number of theaters that still had film projectors might not have been justifiable.

Nolan seeks out these theaters and pushes them to bring the projectors back and he literally paid from his own pocket to get them running. No other filmmaker or studio cared enough to do something like that.

Yeah exactly, WB needs to be willing pay for the IMAX70mm release...personally I wish dune was shot with IMAX 70mm cameras, rather than the Arri IMAX with anamorphic lenses. Those lenses give them the option to have 1.43 AR, but when you watch the movie in giant/real IMAX theater, the quality/resolution doesn't come close to IMAX 15/70. Then I understand their struggle using those cameras in deserts for long period of time.

However, IMAX needs to support more theaters to keep their projectors. Just look how many theaters showed TDKR prologue in 15/70:

https://www.flixist.com/list-of-theater ... -prologue/