Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Graumans Chinese IMAX Hollywood Thursday 5p
waited too long to buy tix so my seat isn't the best

AMC Council Bluffs 17 IMAX. Same theater I saw The Dark Knight 15 years ago. Unfortunately, they converted to laser a while back, and I wasn't all too impressed when I saw Nope there last year. Would be nice if the IMAX at the Henry Doorly Zoo played feature films.

Hi, I also live in Northern Virginia and want to watch this in true IMAX. I know Chantilly Air and Space is legit but it's a little far. I remember going to Lockheed Martin IMAX for The Dark Knight Rises, it was amazing but I think they are still remodeling? AMC Tysons Corner 16 is listed as IMAX in wiki but it says IMAX With Laser so I'm not sure if that is real IMAX or not. It is closer, there's reserved seating plus the ticket would be free for me since I have an A-list subscription.
Last edited by garrow1 on July 6th, 2023, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
odeoncinemas
We're giving away a collectable 70mm Oppenheimer film strip to the first 100 people to see the film in 70mm at ODEON Luxe Leicester Square🎥

Bring home a strip of the masterpiece this July 21, and book your tickets in our bio now to see Oppenheimer in stunning 70mm🎞📲
https://www.instagram.com/p/CueOq9nsH5N ... JhMTRmYQ==

garrow1 wrote:
July 6th, 2023, 6:48 pm
Hi, I also live in Northern Virginia and want to watch this in true IMAX. I know Chantilly Air and Space is legit but it's a little far. I remember going to Lockheed Martin IMAX for The Dark Knight Rises, it was amazing but I think they are still remodeling? AMC Tysons Corner 16 is listed as IMAX in wiki but it says IMAX With Laser so I'm not sure if that is real IMAX or not. It is closer, there's reserved seating plus the ticket would be free for me since I have an A-list subscription.
Sometime after Interstellar Chantilly Airbus IMAX converted from film. Oppenheimer will be presented there in dual 4k laser 1:43:1. It should still be phenomenal but you'll have to make the trip to King of Prussia or one of the other locations listed here for IMAX 70mm film.

The Jordan's Furniture IMAX theater in Reading, MA was once 70 mm IMAX. There was a noticeable and disappointing difference when they converted to digital (I saw Interstellar there in digital IMAX and then drove further to see it in 70 mm IMAX). Then, they later upgraded to dual 4k laser projection. I saw Dunkirk there, and it looked very similar to the 70 mm presentation again, which was a pleasant surprise. They were closed during covid for TENET, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing Oppenheimer there opening weekend!

Hi everyone! :)

I am really looking forward to Oppenheimer. But it is a shame that we only have 70mm in the UK and the Czech Republic here in Europe. I don't live near either of those and won't be able to make it there. Maybe in mid or end of August, if at all.

Now a question for those experts here:

What aspect ratio does 70mm IMAX have? Is it 1.43:1? (Or only something like regular screens have, like 1.85:1?)

Since of course I want to see Oppenheimer as early as possible, the alternative is to see it at the digital IMAX at "Technik Museum" Sinsheim, Germany. At least they have a very high screen there (unlike most "liemaxes), and they are able to show 1.43:1 there. I remember it from Dunkirk, where the IMAX scenes filled the whole screen from top to bottom.

Do you think it will be the same for Oppenheimer and I should aim to see it there?
(Sorry, I don't know if Dunkirk IMAX scenes where shot in 70mm as well)

Schoggi wrote:
July 11th, 2023, 3:50 pm
Hi everyone! :)

I am really looking forward to Oppenheimer. But it is a shame that we only have 70mm in the UK and the Czech Republic here in Europe. I don't live near either of those and won't be able to make it there. Maybe in mid or end of August, if at all.

Now a question for those experts here:

What aspect ratio does 70mm IMAX have? Is it 1.43:1? (Or only something like regular screens have, like 1.85:1?)

Since of course I want to see Oppenheimer as early as possible, the alternative is to see it at the digital IMAX at "Technik Museum" Sinsheim, Germany. At least they have a very high screen there (unlike most "liemaxes), and they are able to show 1.43:1 there. I remember it from Dunkirk, where the IMAX scenes filled the whole screen from top to bottom.

Do you think it will be the same for Oppenheimer and I should aim to see it there?
(Sorry, I don't know if Dunkirk IMAX scenes where shot in 70mm as well)
70mm IMAX is indeed 1.43:1, the same aspect ratio as "dual laser" IMAX. This is sacrilege, but dual laser actually has some benefits above 15/70---it's more consistent than the prints and tends to have a bit more clarity but at the expense of some punch and dimension. So if your local IMAX (you can check online or call) is dual laser, don't feel too badly that you're missing out.

This is how I would rank the formats by order of priority personally:

15/70 IMAX
Dual Laser IMAX
Xenon IMAX / conventional 70mm (Depends if you care more about shifting aspect ratios or a higher quality image)
Dolby
other PLF screens
Conventional screens

Hope that helps.

-Vader