Oppenheimer - IMAX locations and info thread

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 2:07 pm
Planning to see this at the Indiana Museum IMAX, using personal time from work and making alittle mini vacation out of it. My Dad is going to come with me, so hopefully it's worth it!
I saw Dunkirk and Force Awakens there and that theater is amazing!I’m going to the Michigan Science Center this time around as it’s half the drive time for me. Still waiting for tickets to go on sale though. The screen is smaller and it’s a dome theater with the projector on the floor. Not sure I’ll like it as much as Indianapolis, but I figured I’d give it a try. Hope you have a great time!!!

Does anybody have a list of the 35mm screenings and the 70mm screenings that aren’t 15 perf? I’m trying to find a film screening for my buddy in Colorado as the theater in Denver isn’t doing 15perf 70mm anymore.

Sigh....I've recently found out that they closed down the last "true" Imax theater near Chicago in Lincolnshire, IL. I don't know which theater would be best for this movie now. Do I just watch it in Dolby or "Liemax"?

I'd vote for IMAX, and I'd consider IMAX Laser 1.43:1 a win even if it isn't 70mm film.

I envy anyone who could travel a reasonable distance to see this film in 70mm IMAX or Laser 1.43! The fact that there used to be a screen like that in a nearby country but was closed down years ago is quite disappointing.

KEM
Yeah I’m an IMAX guy first and foremost as well, in my opinion it’s better than Dolby in every way

Dolby is great especially when the film is mixed in Atmos, and the images look great thanks to Dolby Vision. I remember being so impressed when I saw Nope in Dolby.

But to me nothing compares to IMAX and the way the image fills in the entire screen. It's beautiful. The sound is incredible even without object based audio or overhead speakers.

So if I could only choose one screen, I'll choose IMAX over Dolby. Luckily, I won't have to.

My crazy plan is to watch Oppenheimer in two different IMAX screens on July 20 (one is Xenon and the other is Laser - both are 1.90:1) with Barbie sandwiched between the two viewings. I've done that with Dunkirk, Tenet and Dune. Two to three days later, I'll see it again in Dolby. Unfortunately I have to drive about 80-100 minutes since all theaters in my city are standard and incredibly small.

They should gather a list of IMAX locations that will be showing it in full frame, regardless if it's actual film or not.

zwilliams wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 10:08 pm
radewart wrote:
June 4th, 2023, 2:07 pm
Planning to see this at the Indiana Museum IMAX, using personal time from work and making alittle mini vacation out of it. My Dad is going to come with me, so hopefully it's worth it!
I saw Dunkirk and Force Awakens there and that theater is amazing!I’m going to the Michigan Science Center this time around as it’s half the drive time for me. Still waiting for tickets to go on sale though. The screen is smaller and it’s a dome theater with the projector on the floor. Not sure I’ll like it as much as Indianapolis, but I figured I’d give it a try. Hope you have a great time!!!
lucky

Hello! Looking for a recommendation on format. I do not live near a 70mm IMAX theater, but my local AMC has both regular 70mm and the AMC IMAX ("liemax"). What would be the preferred format: true film or larger screen?

Barrett wrote:
June 8th, 2023, 12:33 pm
Hello! Looking for a recommendation on format. I do not live near a 70mm IMAX theater, but my local AMC has both regular 70mm and the AMC IMAX ("liemax"). What would be the preferred format: true film or larger screen?
Both!

I think Imax is supposed to last at least 3 weeks, 70mm unknown, so 70mm the first time might be a good idea, then Imax next