Trailer #2

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
Time wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:13 pm
Oku wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:07 pm
Some observations.

1. The repeated use of the word 'Nazis' at the start is such a stark contrast to Dunkirk's intentional avoidance of the term.

2. They are really playing up the feel-good, rah-rah "America-F-yeah!" angle at the end there. And it's easy to see why: they are going for that American Sniper, Top Gun: Maverick money. It could be marketing genius, or it could backfire massively given the depressing frame story of the hearings that came after.

3. This isn't 100% given that it cuts off before the end, but the complete absence of Mr. Nolan's name is surprising. Is this the first actual, full-length trailer without a "FROM CHRISTOPHER NOLAN"?

4. "World War 2 would be over." That sounded way too on-the-nose, and gave me flashbacks to the much-derided Pearl Harbor line, "Did World War 2 just start?!". I feel like "The war would be over." would have been better, but who knows if it's played-up just for the trailer.

5. Some questionable editing like that slideshow at the end, which feels really hamfisted, like Universal going, "We got RDJ in here!! We got RDJ in here!"
I think we need the full trailer. The from Christopher Nolan could be at the beginning before this video starts.

Also, the America F Yeah stuff feels like it's about to have cold water poured on it with the end of the trailer but it gets cut off. The ending feels ominous but we don't have the full context of it yet.
Yeah, makes me wonder how much the rah-rah America stuff will affect the possibility of a release in China. I hope it doesn't; it needs all the box office boost that it can get.

Just watched it again and two more observations:

6. The way Mr. Einstein is introduced, how you can only see a man in a coat from behind until the wind blows his hat off and reveals his white hair, makes me think that it was intended to be a "Whoa, that's Einstein!" moment. Too bad it's been "spoiled"; it would have been amazing to see that for the first time in the theater. It's still a great introduction. anyway: subtly reverent and yet whimsical, which is fitting for a giant like Mr. Einstein.

7. Mr. Branagh doing pretty much the same whisper foreign accent from TENET :lol:

I'm refusing to watch this until I can get a copy of the 4K DCP. AGHHHHHHH

Oku wrote:
Some observations.

1. The repeated use of the word 'Nazis' at the start is such a stark contrast to Dunkirk's intentional avoidance of the term.

2. They are really playing up the feel-good, rah-rah "America-F-yeah!" angle at the end there. And it's easy to see why: they are going for that American Sniper, Top Gun: Maverick money. It could be marketing genius, or it could backfire massively given the depressing frame story of the hearings that came after.

3. This isn't 100% given that it cuts off before the end, but the complete absence of Mr. Nolan's name is surprising. Is this the first actual, full-length trailer without a "FROM CHRISTOPHER NOLAN"?

4. "World War 2 would be over." That sounded way too on-the-nose, and gave me flashbacks to the much-derided Pearl Harbor line, "Did World War 2 just start?!". I feel like "The war would be over." would have been better, but who knows if it's played-up just for the trailer.

5. Some questionable editing like that slideshow at the end, which feels really hamfisted, like Universal going, "We got RDJ in here!! We got RDJ in here!"
I would argue agaisnt that whole "Murica" angle, to me it seems very much like they are subverting it, specially with that twist at the end, that tone shift, i expect a harsh critique of the government, and of the whole Manhattan project.

Oku wrote:
Some observations.

1. I agree

2. I slightly disagree. There is a lean toward that, but by the tone of the music and the rug-pull toward the end of this, I think it’s clear it’s not that simple. Fortunately, I think that slight lean to “America F Yeah” will hit with that targeted audience regardless of the rug-pull. :roll:

3. I would be stunned if that was the case. I’d be willing to put all of my money on it being in there.

4. I disagree. It’s on the nose but it works.

5. I think it’s a little early to say this. I usually find this to be an effective trailer tactic and could work well for this given the cast. It’s a good way to introduce the cast but not spoil much.

Oku
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:28 pm
Oku wrote:
[...]
I would argue agaisnt that whole "Murica" angle, to me it seems very much like they are subverting it, specially with that twist at the end, that tone shift, i expect a harsh critique of the government, and of the whole Manhattan project.
Yeah, given what we know about the frame story and the source material, the film itself probably won't be a Top-Gun-Maverick-type affair.

But the trailer does give off the impression that that's what the film is going to be like (feel-good story about why America is badass and exceptional), which could cause backlash since the film will probably not be like that.

TENET wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:29 pm
Oku wrote:
[...]
1. I agree

2. I slightly disagree. There is a lean toward that, but by the tone of the music and the rug-pull toward the end of this, I think it’s clear it’s not that simple. Fortunately, I think that slight lean to “America F Yeah” will hit with that targeted audience regardless of the rug-pull. :roll:

3. I would be stunned if that was the case. I’d be willing to put all of my money on it being in there.

5. I think it’s a little early to say this. I usually find this to be an effective trailer tactic and could work well for this given the cast. It’s a good way to introduce the cast but not spoil much.
I like that you replied to each bullet point haha; that's some dedication right there.

I posted points 6 and 7 in a separate post; you missed those lol

I hope it does hit, and that we can look back on it as genius marketing and not "What were they thinking misleading audiences like that" type moment.

That's it!! There's always a certain period of waiting when you're waiting for his new movie but I really love when the moment of a new promotional wave arrives, the excitement is more than ever there, let's hope that the new trailer will be put online tomorrow, in the meantime what I just discovered is just incredible, I can't wait to grasp all the power that this trailer is giving off in due form!!! July has never been so close, the anticipation and impatience is more than ever there!! :gonf: :gonf:

Oku wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:40 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:28 pm
Oku wrote:
[...]
Yeah, given what we know about the frame story and the source material, the film itself probably won't be a Top-Gun-Maverick-type affair.

But the trailer does give off the impression that that's what the film is going to be like (feel-good story about why America is badass and exceptional), which could cause backlash since the film will probably not be like that.

TENET wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:29 pm
Oku wrote:
[...]
1. I agree

I like that you replied to each bullet point haha; that's some dedication right there.

I posted points 6 and 7 in a separate post; you missed those lol

I hope it does hit, and that we can look back on it as genius marketing and not "What were they thinking misleading audiences like that" type moment.
The trailers of his films are often very misleading, as it is often quite difficult to convey Nolan's intentions through the promo, I still remember the trailers for Dunkirk, which didn't necessarily reflect all the creative and stylistic depth and approach that Nolan had adopted for the film, I think this is the case here, and when we look more closely at the prologue, we can see much more the anguish and the paradox that the whole idea of building such a weapon implied, and the future consequences (moral, human, material etc.) that it would bring. No doubt that Nolan will, in his own way, retranscribe in an original way, all the dramatic power of all this, and this without Manichaeism.

Forum Pro
Uploading my recording of the trailer in a true IMAX theatre right now. Unfortunately the entire trailer was cropped and none of it was in 1.43:1. DM me for a link.

BEAUTIFUL trailer, Ludwig is killing it

Oku wrote:
Some observations.

1. Dunkirk had a narrative goal of avoiding it, I suppose. I believe it was to make it less a war film and more a story of survival.

2. This is unavoidable, imo. Don't know if you mean his speech or the tone of "putting together the best team of scientists" for their super cool project. The amount of resources America poured into the war has been a part of the public conscious and media for a really long time. But regardless, with all the effort put in and with how long the war was going, I don't think they could afford to be anything but extremely enthusiastic about the project.

3. Maybe it's before the start!

4. I kiiiinda agree. A bit. But while Pearl Harbor's seemed corny, the term had been around during the war. It seems FDR himself had floated it in the first year of America's involvement, so it's not unreasonable to think a member of the top brass could also use the term. I guess it's just our perception that the term only came around after that makes these seem silly.

5. I think some trailers do that, but this cast is too stacked for that to be the case here lol. It might be actually what you want, showing Downey to be the big, menacing foe. Raining on that rousing speech Murphy gave, especially since that's in a future where his hopes might not be panning out.

Oku wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 8:25 pm

Just watched it again and two more observations:

6. The way Mr. Einstein is introduced, how you can only see a man in a coat from behind until the wind blows his hat off and reveals his white hair, makes me think that it was intended to be a "Whoa, that's Einstein!" moment. Too bad it's been "spoiled"; it would have been amazing to see that for the first time in the theater. It's still a great introduction. anyway: subtly reverent and yet whimsical, which is fitting for a giant like Mr. Einstein.

7. Mr. Branagh doing pretty much the same whisper foreign accent from TENET :lol:
6. Ah, good point! But Einstein was revealed in the IMAX trailer. I think it'll still be a good shot when you watch it in the movie, trailers have included a movie's prettiest shots/reveals and without taking away too much (I mean, Dunkirk shows the fishing boat gets shot at and the ship getting torpedoed) I don't think it's a T2 trailer spoiler level reveal.

7. I think I'll like him here more this time tho

----

By the way, there's Rami in the scene at the Chicago reactor! Any history aficionados able to make guesses on who he is?

On that note, I don't know if the shot where they walk across the football field is supposed to be Stagg field. Didn't look like it to me.

Can't wait to be able to watch it without turning my head sideways.

DylanHoang wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 9:57 pm
Uploading my recording of the trailer in a true IMAX theatre right now. Unfortunately the entire trailer was cropped and none of it was in 1.43:1. DM me for a link.

BEAUTIFUL trailer, Ludwig is killing it
DM'd you!