TV Spots

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Ace wrote:
March 10th, 2023, 8:51 pm
Maybe a TV spot with the Oscars?
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235347981/
This article mentions some of the studios have bought ads to premiere during the show.
Disney on Friday said that the 95th Academy Awards broadcast set for Sunday has officially sold out of ad inventory from a wide range of brands and advertisers. As one would expect, the entertainment industry and related fields are particularly well represented.

Among the sponsors this year are Disney-owned Hulu and Walt Disney Motion Pictures, but also Universal, Sony, Warner Bros., Amazon, Snapchat and Paramount+.
Both Emily Blunt & Florence Pugh have been announced as presenters also.
A reason to watch

Spot during NCAA March Madness, nothing new footage-wise. It was a quick one about "pillar of fire" and "chain reaction lighting the atmosphere on fire",etc.

Based on what we've seen so far in the trailer and commercials, the concerns that some scientist had about the detonation destroying the world seems to be a major focus of the flick. In the book, if I remember correctly, it was just briefly discussed then rather quickly dismissed as not any real threat. But Nolan seems to be really emphasizing it, well at least in the marketing...

I'm surprised no one mentioned the oscars spot. It was magnificent! Some shots from the IMAX trailer plus some new shots/shots of Murphy with the line, "I don't know if we can be trusted with a weapon like this. But I know the nazis can't." Love this spot!

KEM
rajakandabowla wrote:
March 19th, 2023, 10:40 pm
I'm surprised no one mentioned the oscars spot. It was magnificent! Some shots from the IMAX trailer plus some new shots/shots of Murphy with the line, "I don't know if we can be trusted with a weapon like this. But I know the nazis can't." Love this spot!
I think it’s the same as the NFL conference championship games

Innovator wrote:
June 3rd, 2023, 5:30 pm
Oh my lord, the projectile being shot at 0:03 looks exactly like the gun design used for Little Boy! If this is right, I don't know what's more exciting: the fact that Hiroshima would have to be in the film for this, or the fact that the projectile is actually depicted accurately as being hollow (most sources I know get this wrong, showing a solid projectile fired into a hollow target rather than the other way around, because the actual arrangement was only discovered fairly recently).

physicshistoryguy wrote:
June 3rd, 2023, 7:28 pm
Oh my lord, the projectile being shot at 0:03 looks exactly like the gun design used for Little Boy! If this is right, I don't know what's more exciting: the fact that Hiroshima would have to be in the film for this, or the fact that the projectile is actually depicted accurately as being hollow (most sources I know get this wrong, showing a solid projectile fired into a hollow target rather than the other way around, because the actual arrangement was only discovered fairly recently).
I keep doubting that we'd see anything from Hiroshima and Nagasaki then I remember that Truman's speech is in the film. Don't know how much they'll show visually but it will be mentioned.

It's so exciting that the marketing has been very tight and there's so much we haven't seen.

Tarssauce wrote:
June 3rd, 2023, 10:42 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
I keep doubting that we'd see anything from Hiroshima and Nagasaki then I remember that Truman's speech is in the film. Don't know how much they'll show visually but it will be mentioned.

It's so exciting that the marketing has been very tight and there's so much we haven't seen.
Yeah, I kept going back and forth on Hiroshima/Nagasaki (mostly doubting they'd be shown as well), assuming Truman's speech would be used while showing the reaction to the bombings at Los Alamos while leaving the bombings themselves off-screen. Plus the first person screenplay and lack of confirmed actors for people like Tibbets added to those doubts (although IMDB does list a few actors playing nameless Army Air Force officers). Perhaps the bombing will occur in a brief montage, bouncing around from the B-29 dropping Little Boy, to the inner workings of the bomb, to Truman's speech, to the reaction at Los Alamos?

And yeah, it's rare to see a film kept under wraps to this extent, at least from my experience; with a biopic like, say, First Man, you could figure out from the trailers exactly how the film would play out, what they would show, and so on, but you can't seem to do that here. On the one hand, it's a very nice change of pace, but on the other, it does make me a bit concerned about how Nolan will tackle the things we haven't seen yet (like the security hearings themselves). I'm incredibly optimistic, of course, but can't help but be a bit anxious.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
Innovator wrote:
June 3rd, 2023, 5:30 pm
Wasn't the gun type design at least tested? It could be that. If they're dedicating time to the implosion design, they will likely show the reason why and also their main alternative. And even if it's not what they ended up using for the test, they would still show it, no?

By the way, I'd seen elsewhere that Strauss' clip in this teaser took place in a 1949 meeting, which I think would line up with the "they just fired a starting gun" and him holding up a graph of presumably some radiological measurements or something... because that's the year Russia tested its bomb and would be a convenient prelude to the later hearings against Oppenheimer.

Unless it's one of the charts from that Trinity report that's merely measuring it's expansion over log time.

I'm not too well-versed on the history to know whether it strictly is or isn't.