Oppenheimer Prologue

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
same as the guys above me!

Went to watch Avatar 2 in our local IMAX with Laser yesterday (Germany) and they did not have it either...they showed this MI7 Trailer B that was already commented on in this forum in English with German subtitles and then Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 as 3D Trailer (rather than Quantumania for some reason).

I'm a bit frustrated now. Not only did I spend the past two days checking all Universal press servers for any news of a trailer every 5 minutes, I also pretty much only went to watch Avatar 2 to see the Oppenheimer trailer (especially in 1.43:1).

I will give it some time and then phone my local IMAX and ask them if they show it. Should it be available next week I'll buy another ticket in the last row, watch the trailer and leave after it's done. I won't watch Avatar 2 in HFR again, I didn't even know our IMAX could play HFR...

Just saw in 1.43 and so happy I saw it that way - as others have said here it feels like a horror film, the IMAX footage is absolutely gorgeous in the full format. (FYI London folks - Science Museum is the place. it's the only ad / trailer playing before the film and as screenings are so busy they wait for everyone to get in. Unfortunately heard reports Manchester isn't screening it yet...)

Having seen the bootleg of the regular trailer (been trying to catch that too today, my local Odeon didn't play and manager fobbed me off with a "when's it out/July? We'll play closer to release" - frustrating after team at same cinema were helpful with the teaser in the summer) - I definitely see why they've chosen that to be the general public first look. You've gotta play it straight/more familiar for the GA which is what that trailer does. Though the IMAX piece is more representative it seems of the film, it does serve a slightly different audience and purpose and can then afford to be more risky if that makes sense.

Got the chance to watch the bootleg video... man, Nolan's prologues/exclusive IMAX trailers just hit different. Pure tension, I loved it.

Could someone please write down the spoken parts of the IMAX bootleg sneak peek? Apart from the beginning, whose dialogue parts sound very clear to me, the lines from Einstein, but also other ones sound muffled, especially in the second part.thanks

antovolk wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 10:37 am
Just saw in 1.43 and so happy I saw it that way - as others have said here it feels like a horror film, the IMAX footage is absolutely gorgeous in the full format. (FYI London folks - Science Museum is the place. it's the only ad / trailer playing before the film and as screenings are so busy they wait for everyone to get in. Unfortunately heard reports Manchester isn't screening it yet...)

Having seen the bootleg of the regular trailer (been trying to catch that too today, my local Odeon didn't play and manager fobbed me off with a "when's it out/July? We'll play closer to release" - frustrating after team at same cinema were helpful with the teaser in the summer) - I definitely see why they've chosen that to be the general public first look. You've gotta play it straight/more familiar for the GA which is what that trailer does. Though the IMAX piece is more representative it seems of the film, it does serve a slightly different audience and purpose and can then afford to be more risky if that makes sense.
Well said

lunar_rover wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 8:16 am
Went to watch Avatar 2 in our local IMAX with Laser yesterday (Germany) and they did not have it either...they showed this MI7 Trailer B that was already commented on in this forum in English with German subtitles and then Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 as 3D Trailer (rather than Quantumania for some reason).

I'm a bit frustrated now. Not only did I spend the past two days checking all Universal press servers for any news of a trailer every 5 minutes, I also pretty much only went to watch Avatar 2 to see the Oppenheimer trailer (especially in 1.43:1).

I will give it some time and then phone my local IMAX and ask them if they show it. Should it be available next week I'll buy another ticket in the last row, watch the trailer and leave after it's done. I won't watch Avatar 2 in HFR again, I didn't even know our IMAX could play HFR...
Only certain iMax can. I went to Citywalk (Universal studios) in Los Angeles and they listed at 3D IMAX but Disney gave them new projector on Wednesday so AMC hadn’t updated they change the format. Like the movie lot. Dislike the high frame rates. When I see Avatar a second it be in 2D.

Was that Albert Einstein the prologue he was talking to?

yes

Oku
mario80 wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 2:58 pm
Could someone please write down the spoken parts of the IMAX bootleg sneak peek? Apart from the beginning, whose dialogue parts sound very clear to me, the lines from Einstein, but also other ones sound muffled, especially in the second part.thanks
Feel free to improve it, anyone:
Groves: You're a dilettante, a womanizer, unstable, theatrical, neurotic.
Oppenheimer: Brilliance makes up for a lot.
Groves: Why don't you have a Nobel Prize?
Oppenheimer: Why aren't you a general?
Groves: They're making me one for this.

Oppenheimer: We can end this war, if we put me in charge. We've got one hope. A secret laboratory. In the middle of nowhere. Focused on one goal. A pillar of fire. Ten thousand feet tall.

Oppenheimer: But what happens if the chain reaction doesn't stop?
Einstein: It would ignore the atmosphere.

Groves: Are we saying there's a chance that when we push that button, we destroy the world?
Oppenheimer: The chances are near-zero.
Groves: Near-zero?

Oppenheimer: ???'s catastrophic.

Bainbridge: ???'s charged!

Einstein: Can you stop?

Senator?: ??? later?

Strauss: Well, we all know what happened later.
Side note, that sand dust that he's breathing in at the start is probably the corn dust technique that they used for Interstellar, right?

Also, I'm still pinching myself that we got a glimpse at Mr. Einstein in this. I'm indescribably happy that my childhood idol is being finally brought to the big screen and in such an earnest way.

At the same time though, I'm kinda disappointed because it's looking like he'll be in the film only for basically that one scene as exposition fodder to emphasize how dangerous the bomb is.

I guess in the months since the set photos of Mr. Conti had come out, I had let my imagination get away from me and built up this fantasy of Mr. Einstein being in the film as a warm, humorous, fatherly figure giving Mr. Oppenheimer life advice, providing philosophical guidance, etc.

And now I'm essentially blaming the film for not giving me something that it never promised. :lol:

I guess now I can kinda see where comic book/Star Wars fans who bitch about how X movie ruined their childhood are coming from lol. Turns out, when your childhood hero is involved, it's surprisingly easy to fantasize about what you want to see your childhood hero doing, and then be disappointed when the actual film doesn't match those expectations.