Trailer #1

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
A Borges man wrote:
February 20th, 2023, 7:24 pm
Anyone notice that the Black and White footage in the IMAX trailer has more obvious grain, the grain structure, for lack of a better word, is larger. Is this just me?
I never thought about that, when I come home from work this evening I will compare the 4K DCPs for Trailer-A, -B, and the IMAX trailer-D with that 600 MB 11-K IMAX single image from the promotional material. There shouldn't really be any difference, given that most of it wasn't really edited.

Last edited by lunar_rover on March 28th, 2024, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The B&W shots are definitely grainier. Definitely noticed it too. I really want to know what stock they used.

It's incredible how fine grain color 65mm is compared to the B&W stock. I've seen films shot digitally that had more grain/noise in them.

I'm surprised no one talked about how soft the 35mm shots looked compared to the 65mm ones. The difference is noticeable in 4K.

The quality is really insane, if you zoom in onto the 10803 x 7951 px wide .tif that they uploaded, the grain actually splits up in much finer grain the more you zoom in. Maybe this is what gives those differences in graining per shot as the patterns overlap?

The beauty of film photography is that each single frame has a different grain structure. It what makes the image alive and the grain is what makes up the image anyway.

There could be so many reasons why the grain in the B&W is more visible. The stock used, the stock rating (50D is extremely fine grain compared to something like 500T which has more grain and is used for low light situations usually).

They could have also pushed the film for more contrast and grain.

lunar_rover wrote:
February 27th, 2023, 12:43 pm
The quality is really insane, if you zoom in onto the 10803 x 7951 px wide .tif that they uploaded, the grain actually splits up in much finer grain the more you zoom in. Maybe this is what gives those differences in graining per shot as the patterns overlap?
It might actually be aliasing in your image viewer. Depending on how it downsamples a higher resolution image, you might see grain appearing coarser zoomed out than when you zoom in closer to 100%.

Also, it is strange because it seems at times that B&W resolves more finely than color film. But I guess the grain is more noticeable on it too, compared to color.

Is that tif image available anywhere? I'd like to see it!

KEM
I just noticed the trailer has 40 million views now, the main TENET trailer has 36 million. So in 4 months the trailer for Oppenheimer has already gotten more views than the TENET trailer that’s two years old, I’d say that’s a good sign