Trailer #1

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
KEM
d0ntask wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 4:17 pm
Hi. Does anyone have the imax bootleg they can send? I still haven't had a chance to see it and I have no friends to go watch Avatar 2 with. :/ Thanks in advance
Go by yourself, I go to the movies by myself 90% of the time

that trailer was unfuckingbelievable.
if this is going to be nolan's tree of life, i will die

There's a good chance the trailer will be released on-line on Monday

KEM wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 7:10 pm
d0ntask wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 4:17 pm
Hi. Does anyone have the imax bootleg they can send? I still haven't had a chance to see it and I have no friends to go watch Avatar 2 with. :/ Thanks in advance
Go by yourself, I go to the movies by myself 90% of the time
I second this, the moment I gave into worry and just went alone because I wanted to it was freeing. Now I go and see what I want (which is basically anything :D) when I want, there is nothing better!

4N Legend wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 7:32 pm
that trailer was unfuckingbelievable.
if this is going to be nolan's tree of life, i will die
Some of the visuals seem Tree of Life like, I think it's showing a different kind of creation, but creation in a similar fashion nonetheless and it's very different to what we've seen before from Nolan. I bet those visuals will be all in the first half and in the second it'll be more grounded.

DHOPW42 wrote:
December 17th, 2022, 7:27 am
I understand the sentiment, but, once again, it feels like some people don't know Nolan at all after all these years :D For my part, what I've seen from the theatrical trailer I found very effective and felt like a proper Nolan blockbuster, one that elevates its material and makes it into an unlikely, epic biopic. The IMAX trailer, which I saw later, fell a bit flat at first, but then it really grew on me. The latter's atmosphere is almost nothing like we've seen from Nolan before, it even trumps the eerines seen in Dunkirk and many scenes of Tenet.

BUT - I think it's perfectly understandable why they would release the theatrical trailer to general audiences, as Ruth already pointed out. And that's it, it's not about balls or anything, it's just the sensible thing to do. And I don't think that Nolan is sitting in his office thinking "gosh, I wish we released the IMAX trailer", because I have a feeling that it's the IMAX trailer that - to put it this way - "misrepresents" the tone of the film. As I mentioned before, I would bet some money that the "Chances are near zero - Near zero??" dialogue will play out in typical Nolan comedy fashion, literally for laughs, but in that sort of dry, English, Nolan manner. And as someone who've read the book, I never felt that sort of tense eeriness anywhere in the book - obviously, as it's a biography and it is written as a biography. But, if anything, I think a grand, epic, Zimmer-fueled biopic stands closer to what the book and the story of Oppenheimer represents, as opposed to this high-octane, spine-chilling, nailbiting thriller.

Then, again, I think the film was described as a sort of thriller in an official statement, so I might be wrong. But my feeling is that the atmosphere of the IMAX trailer is further from the actual film's than the theatrical version. And - in my opinion - this is for the better, because that is really what I expect from Nolan at this point. The theatrical trailer (well, the partial bootleg anyway) gave me these huge Interstellar vibes and I fucking loved it. But that's just me.
The Non-IMAX trailer is so emotionally powerful. It’s the music by Ludwig Goransson that elevates the shots and captivating voice-over by Oppenheimer (Cillian). The music expresses guilt, regret, dread, and sadness…and that drumbeat melody is moving…

In the new Non-IMAX trailer, Oppenheimer delivers a captivating voice-over narration:
”We imagine a future…and our imaginings horrify us. They won’t fear it…until they understand it. And they won’t understand it…until they’ve used it. The theory will only take you so far. I don’t know if we can be trusted…with such a weapon. But we have no choice. Is anyone…ever…going to tell the truth…about what’s happening here?”
:o
Last edited by CobbisDreaming on December 18th, 2022, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CobbisDreaming wrote:
December 18th, 2022, 12:09 am
In the new Non-IMAX trailer, Oppenheimer delivers a captivating voice-over narration:
”We imagine a future…and our imaginings are horrifiers. They won’t fear it…until they understand it. And they won’t understand it…until they’ve used it. The theory will only take you so far. I don’t know if we can be trusted…with such a weapon. But we have no choice. Is anyone…ever…going to tell the truth…about what’s happening here?”
:o
Outstanding!

^ One small correction: "We imagine a future…and our imaginings horrify us."

Cillian sounds so different in the bootleg for this. I wonder if it's just distorted. I LOVE how Cillian sounds here, but then he just sounds like himself in the IMAX version. His accent even seems to come through on the line "In the middle of nowhere."

I can definitely see the music from this trailer being used over another signature Nolan montage ending.

MMatt wrote:
December 18th, 2022, 1:13 pm
^ One small correction: "We imagine a future…and our imaginings horrify us."

Cillian sounds so different in the bootleg for this. I wonder if it's just distorted. I LOVE how Cillian sounds here, but then he just sounds like himself in the IMAX version. His accent even seems to come through on the line "In the middle of nowhere."

I can definitely see the music from this trailer being used over another signature Nolan montage ending.
Thanks for catching that “horrify us.” I just listened to trailer again and yes, he does say that although at first it did sound like horrifiers which is actually a word. I just edited the quote in my post. That was such an emotional trailer. The music is powerful