Runtime Speculation

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
He already did. Interstellar is close enough.

But given that Oppenheimer is technically a summer movie, a shorter length makes more sense. Around 140-150. But again if any film would use a longer runtime it's this one. The amount of story it's going to cover might need it. I think if we consider 2 Hours and 49 minutes to be the longest he can go, then around 2H30M or 2H40M is my guess.

I also expect a non-linear structure in this one so who knows how long he can sustain that in a film.

John Wick seems to be doing fine with a longer runtime so I think it will be fine.
And I wonder how long M:I7 will be now.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 11:42 am
Don't think Nolan will ever make a 3-hour movie. It's kinda against his idea of entertaining audience.
Right, and let's not forget that he hesitated for a long time to cut a large part of Interstellar because he wanted the film to be as dense as possible like The Dark Knight.

Collins wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 1:18 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Don't think Nolan will ever make a 3-hour movie. It's kinda against his idea of entertaining audience.
Right, and let's not forget that he hesitated for a long time to cut a large part of Interstellar because he wanted the film to be as dense as possible like The Dark Knight.
Emmmm. I’m sure multiple people thought he would never have a song like Travis Scott one yet here we are. Interstellar is an almost 3 hour movie more sci fi epic drama with visual grandeur but little to almost no action, if you ask me. So, yeah, someday he may make a whole 3 hour or more film. I don’t know why some of you keep thinking like he won't do something unexpected. One thing I’ve learned from him is to expect the unexpected. He is never said entertaining is his sole focus as far as I know although he has discussed about how some people see the term entertainment sometimes.

Now, will Oppenheimer be a complete 3 hour movie? I don’t think so but one never knows. I’m guessing 2.5 or 2:40 something. Or something around the same length as The Prestige, perhaps more than that but close. If it’s 3 hours, then I’m eager to see what he comes up with either way.

Collins wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I didn't know that. Was it during writing or editing ? Do we know which part ? Anyway, feels weird knowing how contemplative in some parts the final movie is and how it serves the emotions.

Demoph wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 4:23 pm
Collins wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
I didn't know that. Was it during writing or editing ? Do we know which part ? Anyway, feels weird knowing how contemplative in some parts the final movie is and how it serves the emotions.
I assume Collins is referring to this from The Nolan Variations but it wasn't really what he said.
As he had with Inception, Nolan had a few scares in the editing room. “Interstellar was an oddly tricky film to edit, because with every other film I’ve done, we cut it together long,” says Nolan. “We do our first pass. We screen it. It’s a bumpy ride at times. We know how to fix it. We trim. We get rid of things that don’t work. We find efficiencies and we shrink it, and it gets better and better and better. It gets tighter. Leaner. If you look at The Dark Knight in particular, it’s so dense. And there are no deleted scenes on the DVDs; there’s nothing. We don’t leave anything out. We just find a way to jam it all in there. With Interstellar, which is a big fat movie, we started to go down that road and just instinctively made things as efficient as possible. And it made the film boring, because on a superficial level it’s just people talking, and then you cut quickly to get to more people talking, which felt like you were missing the whole point of going into space. So we watched it and I was like, ‘That’s not going to work at all. We have to abandon the approach we’ve had, myself and Lee, for the last ten years. We can’t try to make the film shorter. It’s not going to improve it.’ ”

Well, I think this counts as confirmation?

To quote Lt. Daniels from The Wire (rest in piece, Lance Reddick), I think "it's pretty basic": it has been established on many occasions that an IMAX film - at present - cannot be longer than 2 hours and 47 minutes or something. So, basically it all comes down to:

1. either Matt Damon is merely rounding up 2 hours and 40+ minutes to "almost 3 hours" (which he literally says at one point)
2. or Matt Damon is absolutely right, in which case we should expect an announcement from IMAX that they have invented something that allows this film to be 180 minutes long.

I would bet that it's the first option - for a busy actor in the middle of some random film interview, 2 hours and 40+ minutes are, I'm sure, equal to three hours.

Yeah Damon’s statement seems a bit confusing.

On one hand he confirms that it’s 3 hours, and says he asked Nolan how long it was, so Nolan could’ve given him an answer? But this could’ve been one of Nolan’s private test screening before he does final tweaks. Who knows.

At the end he says: “I think it’s almost 3 hours”.
So it may not be exactly 3 hours but my point always was, is 10-13 minutes really that big of a deal? It’s a long film. Maybe as long as Interstellar. Which is almost 3 hours long.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Demoph wrote:
March 28th, 2023, 6:17 pm
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ho-ly fuckballs