Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
News is in that Mission Impossible 7 cost $290M to produce. Oppenheimer will be playing the week after. Followed by Marvel's Ant Man.

Do you think it will stay true to its release date? How much are you expecting it to make?

As much as I want to believe this film should make Ant-Man run for its money, I could see it moving.

That being said, Marvel moves their release dates around *a lot* so I could see somethings shifting, especially if IMAX already has a deal with Universal for Oppenheimer exclusivity.

Oku
I don't see it moving, especially after TENET moved off that beloved third weekend of July date of his and then went on to underperform.

Oppenheimer staking that date even after he moved to Universal shows us that it's not a WB thing, but a Nolan thing; he considers it to be some kind of essential good-luck charm to the success of his films.

Now, if Oppenheimer underperforms, then yeah, I could see his faith being shaken and his next film (in 2026 or whatever) being released on some other weekend.

But Oppenheimer? That's coming out the third weekend of July, 2023. I'm sure of it.

Considering that it isn't a big action movie, I would like Oppenheimer to be released late May after opening in Cannes. This cast going to Cannes would be great. But Nolan has stopped going to festival a long time ago.
I don't understand why MI7 moved to a release date where they would only have Imax screens for a week.

I think this movie fits Cannes perfectly, I would very much like to see the stars walking down the Cannes red carpet

Bacon wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 1:43 am
As much as I want to believe this film should make Ant-Man run for its money, I could see it moving.

That being said, Marvel moves their release dates around *a lot* so I could see somethings shifting, especially if IMAX already has a deal with Universal for Oppenheimer exclusivity.
I saw some deluded folks on social media who thought that Oppenheimer won't get an Imax release at all because of Ant Man. They have no idea about Nolan and Imax relationship. That said, saying Oppenheimer will be Imax exclusive may be not be entirely correct. Marvel also has good relationship with Imax.

Oku wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 3:26 am

Now, if Oppenheimer underperforms, then yeah, I could see his faith being shaken and his next film (in 2026 or whatever) being released on some other weekend.

What constitutes under performance? $300M or less? That will surprise me. I agree that Oppenheimer should not move because it was first. If it moves after other films move next to it it risks looking weaker.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 4:22 am
I think this movie fits Cannes perfectly, I would very much like to see the stars walking down the Cannes red carpet
After seeing so many of the industry people depressed about box office numbers of adult movies, I'd really be delighted if Oppenheimer proves to be a great success. There is no lack of movies who get such events and I don't think Nolan is interested in them very much.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Same, Nolan doesn't do film festivals unfortunately but it might change in the future. I was thinking Dunkirk will premiere at Cannes, because it had been shot in France and the actual event took place in France.
But it didn't. And I think it was perfect to premiere there because there are no spoilers to be afraid of and overall the movie is an arthouse blockbuster. But maybe he might do it next year with Oppenheimer.

Pit180 wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 5:34 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Same, Nolan doesn't do film festivals unfortunately but it might change in the future. I was thinking Dunkirk will premiere at Cannes, because it had been shot in France and the actual event took place in France.
But it didn't. And I think it was perfect to premiere there because there are no spoilers to be afraid of and overall the movie is an arthouse blockbuster. But maybe he might do it next year with Oppenheimer.
I think I read it somewhere that Thierry Frémaux wanted Dunkirk for Cannes but Nolan passed

Nolan has progressively lost box office prowess and cultural relevance over the last 10 years. This movie is going to make less money than Tenet.