Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I mean a lot of A-listers would love to work with him. But yeah the confidence from the studio and the cast is a clear sign this isn’t your typical drama.

My bet, they're going to let him use their Imax screen from 21 July to the end of August, cause they know how much they owe him.

I randomly came across these comments on Twitter and they made me think about audience responses, plus they did just bother me:

"No Oppenheimer teaser after it's been shown at every movie I've been to for a while" (paraphrasing)

"I'm getting the feeling this is Nolan's revenge on us not killing ourselves to see his shitty Inception sequel. I hate to see any movie bomb but if Oppenheimer (hypothetically) flopping at least humbles him a bit..."

"I agree. He desperately needs to eat some humble pie."

"Keep in mind: he got full control over the marketing. Plus, it's the same here in the states. I fail to see how this is unintentional.

And yes, I did use a George Lucas (well, a parody) gif for this. Nolan has pretty much become him, digital tinkering aside."

I can understand being annoying by seeing that same trailer constantly, it's an unfortunate flaw of the marketing which might change with the release of another trailer though I'm sure they won't give up on the countdown marketing gimmick. Gimmick doesn't mean bad, doing the countdown to release is not always embraced this widely and it's cool to see evolution in movie marketing that can sometimes be very stock and basic.

Making dumb comments like the follow-ups is just stupid. Calling Tenet a "shitty Inception sequel" (which overstates the similarities between them), comparing Nolan to Lucas (which if you look at a lot of the re-evaluation the prequels have received isn't that bad a comparison), implying that he's obsessed with box office (I've never gotten that feel at all beyond just generally making films for a mass audience), acting as if he's the only one who'd like his film to do well or even that he's the total driving force behind the marketing instead of the team at Universal. Saying that it's revenge for people not seeing Tenet is also just ridiculous, it's probably sarcasm but does he not think that Universal want the movie to do well at the box office too?
Last edited by Waitedalongtime on November 10th, 2022, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

those Nolan takes are absolutely moronic, i would want to have those people as acquaintances, the vitriol is pathetic.

So.. trailer is out. We have a good idea how the movie looks. How are we feeling about its BO performance?

Just a small reminder of what Oppenheimer will face:
-2 weeks before release Indy 5...
-Mission Impossible a week before release...
-Barbie on the same day...
-The Marvels the week after...
-And animated TMNT two weeks later.

Phew, I always found Dunkirk's BO performance impressive but looking back, it barely had any competition and then there's Tenet which we all know happened there. I think we're in a bit of uncharted territory when it comes trying predicting the BO performance for a Nolan movie. Even with Inception, theaters weren't this crowed.

If there's one thing I can say is that Oppenheimer seems to be the movie for Adults to watch after Indy 5 and MI7. Barbie and The Marvels will probably end up fighting for the same crowd, while TMNT is just an outlier.

brickarts295 wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 4:55 am
So.. trailer is out. We have a good idea how the movie looks. How are we feeling about its BO performance?

Phew, I always found Dunkirk's BO performance impressive but looking back, it barely had any competition and then there's Tenet which we all know happened there. I think we're in a bit of uncharted territory when it comes trying predicting the BO performance for a Nolan movie. Even with Inception, theaters weren't this crowed.

If there's one thing I can say is that Oppenheimer seems to be the movie for Adults to watch after Indy 5 and MI7. Barbie and The Marvels will probably end up fighting for the same crowd, while TMNT is just an outlier.
I think that Barbie is sort of the odd man out - I’m wondering if it will strike too old for kids and too young for adults who don’t “get” its satire. But my twitter space was flooded with people planning to see both so that’s pretty cool.

u2aerofan wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:56 am
brickarts295 wrote:

I think that Barbie is sort of the odd man out - I’m wondering if it will strike too old for kids and too young for adults who don’t “get” its satire. But my twitter space was flooded with people planning to see both so that’s pretty cool.
Barbie has the potential to be a surprise hit even if social media hype doesn't automatically mean box office success, plus if it's still a PG13 (might be a PG) then that'll still allow families to see it. Regardless I so appreciate that a Barbie movie has that level of talent and ambition behind it when it could have been a trashy Clifford the Big Red Dog or Smurfs level movie aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 9:09 am
u2aerofan wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:56 am
brickarts295 wrote:

Barbie has the potential to be a surprise hit even if social media hype doesn't automatically mean box office success, plus if it's still a PG13 (might be a PG) then that'll still allow families to see it. Regardless I so appreciate that a Barbie movie has that level of talent and ambition behind it when it could have been a trashy Clifford the Big Red Dog or Smurfs level movie aimed at the lowest common denominator.
Yes people dismissing Barbie are either being disingenous or they are simply uninformed. I won't be surprised if it ends up fetching more awards than Oppenheimer.

I was kinda thinking Barbie would wipe the floor with Oppenheimer tbh but the Oppenheimer trailer already has more views on both Twitter/YouTube than the Barbie trailer did within <24 hours. Very surprising to me. Nolan's name alone has some strong power that continues to surprise me.

Forum Pro
Bacon wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 5:23 pm
I was kinda thinking Barbie would wipe the floor with Oppenheimer tbh but the Oppenheimer trailer already has more views on both Twitter/YouTube than the Barbie trailer did within <24 hours. Very surprising to me. Nolan's name alone has some strong power that continues to surprise me.
My thoughts exactly. I can't lie and say I haven't been checking the numbers as a comparison to Barbie's. Barbie reached 5.6M views in three days and Oppenheimer has reached over 8 in less than a day. Film twitter and online forums very much are an echo chamber and are falling into this silly fallacy that Barbie is going to bury Oppenheimer. Plus the whole "Barbie is going to do much better" narrative is more of a gag than a die-hard belief. BOTH will do very well for very different reasons AND both will have some degree of overlap (silly film twitter being a clear example of that). Again, let's not forget just how *successful* Tenet was. A flop if, like a soulless robot, you're going to take every unique aspect of its release out of the equation, but a success if you account those factors. It opened at the height of the pandemic and with half of the theatres closed, made only $20M less than a Dwayne Johnson DC led superhero film with a Henry Cavill cameo. Hell it made more than Lightyear and Lightyear opened with more people going to the theatres and more of them open.