Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
To non-film peeps I know, anytime I bring up Barbie (male or female) they usually seem completely uninterested in it. Even if it's comedy/parody, they seem especially disinterested.

Bacon wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 5:23 pm
I was kinda thinking Barbie would wipe the floor with Oppenheimer tbh but the Oppenheimer trailer already has more views on both Twitter/YouTube than the Barbie trailer did within <24 hours. Very surprising to me. Nolan's name alone has some strong power that continues to surprise me.
Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but this is the first Nolan trailer I can think of in a long time that hasn't been reliant on the whole "director of The Dark Knight trilogy/Inception/Interstellar/etc" line to help sell his name being attached. Or maybe that was more a WB thing, OR Universal didn't want to mention Tenet lol. I'm probably wrong, but either way it feels like a good sign of confidence in the Nolan name alone.

Forum Pro
Hustler wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 6:15 pm
Bacon wrote:
I was kinda thinking Barbie would wipe the floor with Oppenheimer tbh but the Oppenheimer trailer already has more views on both Twitter/YouTube than the Barbie trailer did within <24 hours. Very surprising to me. Nolan's name alone has some strong power that continues to surprise me.
Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but this is the first Nolan trailer I can think of in a long time that hasn't been reliant on the whole "director of The Dark Knight trilogy/Inception/Interstellar/etc" line to help sell his name being attached. Or maybe that was more a WB thing, OR Universal didn't want to mention Tenet lol. I'm probably wrong, but either way it feels like a good sign of confidence in the Nolan name alone.
The teaser for Tenet only relied on his name

DylanHoang wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 6:18 pm

Ah ok, good to know. Hopefully he has forever graduated to his name being enough.

DylanHoang wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 6:18 pm
Hustler wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 6:15 pm
Bacon wrote:
That changed with the main trailer though.

Bacon wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 6:10 pm
To non-film peeps I know, anytime I bring up Barbie (male or female) they usually seem completely uninterested in it. Even if it's comedy/parody, they seem especially disinterested.
Almost everything Margot Robbie has been in has flopped. And she is the only person reportedly safe at DC movies. I don't understand why Margot is treated like a lister and has a career unaffected by the fact that she can't open a film in Amsterdam after the suicide squad, birds of prey, and. I read they want her in the next pirate film Barbie should have been a computer animation, and it deserves a better leading actress.

DamienDarhk wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Bacon wrote:
Almost everything Margot Robbie has been in has flopped. And she is the only person reportedly safe at DC movies. I don't understand why Margot is treated like a lister and has a career unaffected by the fact that she can't open a film in Amsterdam after the suicide squad, birds of prey, and. I read they want her in the next pirate film Barbie should have been a computer animation, and it deserves a better leading actress.
She's a decent actress and works with top tier directors, but mainly she's really, really good looking...

Having seen the trailer and the indeed sorta surprising online response, it does show why Universal spent 100 million dollars on the project and locked in Nolan's typical July spot. Not to mention the spendy Sunday night football TV spots.

The trailer depicts the movie as a big-scale thriller, with some big sets captured in epic wide-shots that sell the scale, with intercut shots of "spectacle" taking us inside the chemical reactions.

I do however think we should note: Oppenheimer's been the subject of nonstop memes on twitter and reddit, IE "Nolan's really built a nuclear bomb!" that's raised awareness around the movie, so it's possible numbers are inflated by people who are Very Online.

Still, a very strong start to the marketing campaign proper.

-Vader

Forum Pro
radewart wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:26 pm
DamienDarhk wrote:
December 19th, 2022, 7:17 pm
Bacon wrote:
She's a decent actress and works with top tier directors, but mainly she's really, really good looking...
EXACTLY. Was having this conversation with my bf the other day and we both agree, she's not even the strongest actress. I don't see how people are so crazy about her, as a performer. Obviously, I get the idea that she's gorgeous but every performance I've seen her in has felt the same. She never fully sinks into a role for me and always utilizes the same facial expressions and quips in anything she's in. Her in BABYLON feels exactly like her in BIRDS OF PREY, just no make up.