Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 6:22 am
Pit180 wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 5:34 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 4:22 am
I think this movie fits Cannes perfectly, I would very much like to see the stars walking down the Cannes red carpet
Same, Nolan doesn't do film festivals unfortunately but it might change in the future. I was thinking Dunkirk will premiere at Cannes, because it had been shot in France and the actual event took place in France.
But it didn't. And I think it was perfect to premiere there because there are no spoilers to be afraid of and overall the movie is an arthouse blockbuster. But maybe he might do it next year with Oppenheimer.
I think I read it somewhere that Thierry Frémaux wanted Dunkirk for Cannes but Nolan passed
Yeah, but I think it was more because it wasn't ready at that time.

blackColumn wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 5:27 am
Oku wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 3:26 am

Now, if Oppenheimer underperforms, then yeah, I could see his faith being shaken and his next film (in 2026 or whatever) being released on some other weekend.

What constitutes under performance? $300M or less? That will surprise me. I agree that Oppenheimer should not move because it was first. If it moves after other films move next to it it risks looking weaker.
IMO:
If:
-the budget is confirmed to be 100 M$
-there is no big war sequence
Then
-less than 200M$ is underperforming
-200/250 M$ is not good, but gets a pass
-300/350 m$ is a success
-more than 400 M$ is a big success.

Movies friendly to adult audience (40+)

1.Oppenheimer
2. Memento
3. Insomnia
4. Interstellar
5. The Prestige
6. Dunkirk
6. Batman Begins
7. Inception
8. The Dark Knight
9. Tenet
10. The Dark Knight Rises

Demoph wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 9:45 am
blackColumn wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 5:27 am
Oku wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 3:26 am

Now, if Oppenheimer underperforms, then yeah, I could see his faith being shaken and his next film (in 2026 or whatever) being released on some other weekend.

What constitutes under performance? $300M or less? That will surprise me. I agree that Oppenheimer should not move because it was first. If it moves after other films move next to it it risks looking weaker.
IMO:
If:
-the budget is confirmed to be 100 M$
-there is no big war sequence
Then
-less than 200M$ is underperforming
-200/250 M$ is not good, but gets a pass
-300/350 m$ is a success
-more than 400 M$ is a big success.
The box office analysis doesn't change depending on whether there is a war sequence or not. The studios watching its BO run are not very interested to how much of a handicap director put on himself. For us fans it could be impressive. What this film is being seen as is a non IP adult friendly movie that has great star cast. And that's it.

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Pit180 wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 4:22 am
I think this movie fits Cannes perfectly, I would very much like to see the stars walking down the Cannes red carpet
Same, Nolan doesn't do film festivals unfortunately but it might change in the future. I was thinking Dunkirk will premiere at Cannes, because it had been shot in France and the actual event took place in France.
But it didn't. And I think it was perfect to premiere there because there are no spoilers to be afraid of and overall the movie is an arthouse blockbuster. But maybe he might do it next year with Oppenheimer.
I think I read it somewhere that Thierry Frémaux wanted Dunkirk for Cannes but Nolan passed
yes that's correct

El Especial wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 8:32 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Pit180 wrote:

yes that's correct
It makes no sense to subject a huge studio film to the fickle audiences at Canne. Why would they want to invite the bad press to their film before it gets shown to wide audiences? My understanding is the french hated Dunkirk, didn't like the depiction of the french or something. If I was Nolan I wouldn't bother. He is making massive movies, Canne is a different beast, no point in bothering.

A Borges man wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 8:49 pm
El Especial wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 8:32 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:

yes that's correct
It makes no sense to subject a huge studio film to the fickle audiences at Canne. Why would they want to invite the bad press to their film before it gets shown to wide audiences? My understanding is the french hated Dunkirk, didn't like the depiction of the french or something. If I was Nolan I wouldn't bother. He is making massive movies, Canne is a different beast, no point in bothering.
Regarding sending a big studio film to Cannes. Many studios have done it including WB. For example Mad Max Fury Road has played very successfully at Cannes. Movies like Inside Out, Solo had also had a premiere there.
For the average movie goer it makes no difference if it premieres at Cannes or straight to the theatres. For a cinephile though who follows film festival news/reactions it counts. If the movie plays well he/she will get excited without being necessarily a fan of the director and has happened to me plenty of times. I was not a fan of the original Mad Max but when I saw the thunderous reactions from Cannes for Fury Road I got excited to see it. But it involves also a risk if the film doesn't play well.

About the Dunkirk event, for French is perceived as a lost battle which is considered the opposite for the British. But this has nothing to do with the film, Dunkirk got nominated for the Cesars Awards(French Oscars) for the international film category which is very very rare for a blockbuster.

Ace
Marvel has now moved the sequel for Captain Marvel to the week after Oppenheimer instead of Ant-Man 3.