Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Last edited by natalie on July 30th, 2023, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Variety speculated a couple years ago that this movie needed $400M worldwide to become profitable. Pretty amazing that it’s already there after only 10 days. It has a good chance to make it to $700M, which would be pretty jawdropping. It’s all icing on the cake for Universal & Nolan moving forward.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 3:11 pm
Variety speculated a couple years ago that this movie needed $400M worldwide to become profitable. Pretty amazing that it’s already there after only 10 days. It has a good chance to make it to $700M, which would be pretty jawdropping. It’s all icing on the cake for Universal & Nolan moving forward.
If the $100 million marketing budget is true, then it'll take $490 million.

Even still, the rest of your point remains. Job well done overall!

redfirebird2008 wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 3:11 pm
Good points imo. I would like for Nolan to remain with Universal. WB is still my favorite studio but I feel they have been on and off lately with their control of things. Whereas I feel Universal gave more free reign to Nolan with Oppenheimer, specially for a risky sort of experimental 3 hour movie and R rated. It makes me feel that Oppenheimer, had it been released with WB, could have been slightly different maybe. If it does 800 million, it would be so nice!

72.4M second international weekend is an insane number, wow! This movie will have great, great legs. I’m starting to think Oppy will end up with $750-850m WW. That’s more than spectacular for this kind of film. History in the making.

And needless to say, Universal will give Nolan all the budget he wishes for his next film.

So it definitely seems like Oppenheimer's doing much better at the box office than even the most optimistic predictions, but just how unprecedented is this kind of success for a historical film or biopic? And as much as I'd like to believe people are going out in droves to see this film because it's about a physicist, haha, is this success almost entirely due to Nolan's name recognition, the Barbenheimer memes, and the return of theatrical experiences post-COVID (i.e., factors independent of the film's content and quality)?

physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 5:41 pm
So it definitely seems like Oppenheimer's doing much better at the box office than even the most optimistic predictions, but just how unprecedented is this kind of success for a historical film or biopic? And as much as I'd like to believe people are going out in droves to see this film because it's about a physicist, haha, is this success almost entirely due to Nolan's name recognition, the Barbenheimer memes, and the return of theatrical experiences post-COVID (i.e., factors independent of the film's content and quality)?
How is Nolan's name recognition a factor independent of the film's content and quality?

Bacon wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 5:49 pm
physicshistoryguy wrote:
July 30th, 2023, 5:41 pm
How is Nolan's name recognition a factor independent of the film's content and quality?
I mean in the sense that, if a relatively unknown director made a near-perfect, R-rated, three-hour biopic about Oppenheimer, all things being equal and all, I'd imagine it wouldn't be as much of a box office success (by how much is essentially the question I'm asking, at least in part and purely qualitatively).