Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Yeah, as time goes by, I've got less and less faith in the film's box office performance. I mentioned earlier that I'm not that interested in it (I mean the performance) in the first place, but if you really think about it, going up against Barbie with a three-hour long(!) R-rated(!) historical(!!) biopic(!) sounds like a massacre in the making. I know Nolan's name is supposedly strong, but we'll see just how strong it is, because this might be the biggest load his name has had to carry to this date. Then again, I'm sure studio execs and the Nolan's must be anticipating all this.

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 30th, 2023, 3:11 am
Yeah, as time goes by, I've got less and less faith in the film's box office performance. I mentioned earlier that I'm not that interested in it (I mean the performance) in the first place, but if you really think about it, going up against Barbie with a three-hour long(!) R-rated(!) historical(!!) biopic(!) sounds like a massacre in the making. I know Nolan's name is supposedly strong, but we'll see just how strong it is, because this might be the biggest load his name has had to carry to this date. Then again, I'm sure studio execs and the Nolan's must be anticipating all this.
You seem to be ignoring the previous two pages. Coming in second to Barbie is unimportant. What matters here is the OW number itself, which currently is mirroring Dunkirk. Everything is very much going according to plan.

The Special One wrote:
June 30th, 2023, 1:56 am
physicshistoryguy wrote:
June 30th, 2023, 1:48 am
Oku wrote:
June 29th, 2023, 11:53 pm
physicshistoryguy, your thoughts on the film not even having a release date set for Japan because they're worried about how it would be received by the Japanese public? (More info in the Variety article posted by natalie.)

For me, it's a non-controversy drummed up as one by performative virtue-signaling. Just release it and let the film speak for itself. If it bombs, it bombs. Let the Japanese people speak for themselves, instead of not even giving them the choice, out of "concern".

IMO, no one with even a passing knowledge of the historical circumstances surrounding the bombing and of the intent and production of this film, could possibly come away with the conclusion that this film would somehow be offensive to release in Japan.
Well, my understanding of the relationship between the American and Japanese film markets is basically zero, consisting only of what I read in this article, so I don't think I can provide meaningful insight on this (a typical quip is that physicists are "often wrong but never in doubt," especially on areas outside their fields of expertise). But from the article, it doesn't seem like that big an issue; it's just saying there's a lack of an announced release date and then speculating from there. I wouldn't know if that was unusual, but the article seems to say it isn't ("It’s not unusual for American-made movies to debut in Japan months later than they do in North America. And those plans are usually late to come together").
Could it be that they are waiting to show the film to Japanese exhibitors first before they announce a release date?
That could very well be it, but I don't know if that's a part of their process.

The biggest IMAX in Germany only shows MI7 for a week.
Then OPPENHEIMER takes over exclusively for at least two weeks.
That's pretty huge in my opinion.

The IMAX is attached to a museum so it doesn't have to be extremely profitable I think.
But on the other hand the other two (more commercial) IMAX theaters will show OPPENHEIMER exclusively for at least a week with no showings of MI7.
It will be exciting to see what happens after the first two weeks of OPPENHEIMER.
Would be hilarious if MI7 would only get 7 days of IMAX in 3 theaters with laser.

Looks like no Barbenheimer for me as WB has chickened out and moved Barbie to August 31 - in the Gulf / Middle East at least!

A way to ruin the fun so close to release. Maybe they shouldn't have picked the date in the first place.