Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Really curious if Oppenheimer can be released in Japan and China.

Apparently there has been no promotional material at all in Japan. Given the sensitive nature of the bomb, I wonder if Japan would outright ban it. Pearl Harbour did well in Japan, but they were portrayed as the guilty party versus victim in Oppenheimer.

Then there's China where a Chinese poster was released, but not sure if the R rating will have an impact on getting approval for release.

Both these countries are usually pretty big on Nolan movies no?

So tickets for Oppenheimer at the IMAX in Melbourne (one of the biggest in the world) have been live for about 12 hours now and all the premium seating for the first 10 days has already sold out with most of the sessions for the first weekend almost completely sold out. Barring a few seats here and there like some seats in the very front row etc, we’re expecting every single session from Thursday the 20th to Sunday the 23rd to be pretty much a completely packed house. On top of that, we’re seeing really solid numbers for the second weekend sessions too and if the pre-sale numbers continue at this current rate, we’re likely to see a pretty small drop off for the second weekend and a pretty lengthy run for the film overall, at our theatre at least.

It’s kinda crazy to see, especially on the heels of The Flash which had shockingly low engagement and did very poor numbers at our theatre. Even our busiest sessions for The Flash were only about half full. Now this is obviously just one theatre and might not be emblematic of how things are everywhere but from what I’ve heard, IMAX theatres everywhere are showing REALLY healthy pre-sales on tickets with almost all of them having completely sold out sessions for the first weekend. Hopefully that’ll put to rest any fears that people might have about IMAX potentially wanting to drop Oppenheimer from their IMAX screens after the first week in favour of Mission Impossible.

Yet still no words on if Oppenheimer will get a release in mainland China. Movies fans here are all complaining and anxiously waiting.

$50 million+ domestic opening weekend would be great. Nolan movies always have great legs, so I see this making at least $450-$500 million worldwide, similar to Dunkirk. Could be more if reviews are exceptional.

Based on me trying to get tickets in Dallas at the IMAX 70MM for additional showings… they are VERY BOOKED and almost sold out for a large number of shows for the three week window already.