Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Things just got out of hand, huh? Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast.

Passion is a terible fantasy movie that was created mainly to dog whistle for the scummiest of the antisemite redneck trash in US, with narratives long debunked by the Catholic and Protestant churches included in there, to depict a terrible image of Jewish hirearchy as well as people at the time.

"His blood is on us and on our children!"

Yeah, anyone with half a brain who knows anything about the history of antisemtism, knows exactly what Mel Gibson meant by including that line from the bible.

Despite the perpetual Twitter war between 'Barbie' and 'Oppenheimer', I don't think there will be much crossover in terms of target audience in the end. That new trailer made it clear for me.

I still think 'Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning' is the film which could hurt 'Oppenheimer' the most in that regard.

Ace
There’s been complaints to his sound mixing since the TDKR prologue but it feels like it may have reached a point after Tenet where its turned people off from seeing his films in theatres and instead wait for the home release so they can put the subtitles on.

They're so pissy Nolan won't talk to them anymore.

Remember when Empire got set invitations and shit? Wonder why that ended.

It's interesting that Courtney Howard is a Variety writer though. Something tells me the Jay Penske Press will be very negative towards this movie.

Ace
Yeah Total Film gets all that coverage now. Empire haven’t really covered a Nolan film like they did since Interstellar. The writer who did the Nolan set visits left to edit his own magazine.

I think the sound issue, for the most part, has become a popular cliche for people to complain about in regard to Nolan. Some prominent critics started doing it, and others follow suit. Bane was fine to understand in TDKR after the tweak from the prologue. Also, I don't remember people complaining about dialogue issues with Interstellar? And Dunkirk didn't have much dialogue, so what's the issue with that one. Tenet though, I'll give'em that one, it earns its complaints.

Oppenheimer just needs to be good. Even if it looses the "BO" battle against Barbie, people will go and watch the movie at their own pace. Its not the type of film everyone will go out and see ASAP (unless you're a Nolan fan of course :gonf: )

Oku
Where the F was this WB marketing team for Dunkirk and Tenet?

You look at the posters for Barbie and Dune, and for what they are (posters designed to sell the movie to the general audience first and foremost), they are gorgeous and prove that mainstream movie posters don't have to be complete ass.

Then you look at the posters for Dunkirk and Tenet and it's dogshit after dogshit, the majority of them being not even remotely decent or framable, with an almost fetishistic fixation on slathering the movie title in hideous shades of blue, 2000's-era WordArt.

Regarding the showdown vs. Barbie, it's a funny thing, because if Mr. Nolan's name weren't on this, no one with half a brain would put their money on anything other than Barbie handily, handily crushing Oppenheimer.

- bright, bubbly comedy (with an almost bizarrely perfect casting, I must say, like it's so perfect that I can't believe that it's real) that's perfect for the summer season
vs.
- three-hour serious biopic partly in black-and-white with a basically suicidal release date in the middle of summer instead of Oscar season, in a post-pandemic theatrical world where people no longer go to the theater for dramas targeted at adults, which they have learned that they can just watch at home

But people are bringing up Oppenheimer in relation to Barbie like it's actually a level playing field. I guess that that's the power of Mr. Nolan's name.

Anyway, Oppenheimer being tied together at the hip with Barbie is a good thing, IMO. It's free marketing; a rising tide lifts all boats and all that.

I still think both movies get owned by Mission Impossible 7