Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

They give out 'masterpiece' to new movies like it's free bread now. No need to panick.

This. Not every movie is going to be The Flash.

Pit180 wrote:
February 11th, 2023, 8:31 am
radewart wrote:
February 10th, 2023, 9:24 pm
Guys, Barbie's a masterpiece...it's over for Oppenheimer.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/c0mkpt ... jxwixkzfo4
Even it is a masterpiece, why is it over for Oppenheimer?
I was being alittle "tongue-in-cheek" about it...seems like the internet is always pitting Barbie and Oppenheimer against each other due to the shared release date.

I smell a box office bomb. Lets compare it to Dunkirk:
1. Dunkirk had Harry Styles. I remember the teenage girls in the movie theater. No way those girls would have watched a WW2 movie under "normal circumstances". Also Dunkirk was pretty action heavy. That could have boosted interest of younger males. Oppenheimer doesn't have that overarching appeal. The main audience will be probably males over 30. (Yes I could be wrong and Oppenheimer is indeed action heavy. But trailers didn't suggest this).
2. Dunkirk is a big thing in UK. The british patriotism was very important for the box office success. 80 million $ gross in the UK. Don't see this with Oppenheimer.
3. Dunkirks competition wasn't that hard. Planet Of Apes is not that attractive for general audiences, Valerian was really bad. The competition here is just too hard. Indiana Jones, The Marvels and most importantly: Mission Impossible! There is a Tom Cruise hype out there. One of the last true Hollywood stars. If Top Gun does this insane numbers, I see the same for the newest Mission Impossible entry. No doubt about that. There is maybe a chance that Indiana Jones is really bad (word of mouth is already negative) and The Marvels suffers from Marvel fatique (also female driven Marvel and DC films were not that successful). Barbie shouldn't be a problem. Seems like a film that will have big online buzz (filmtwitter etc.), but no one really wants to watch this in cinema.

I would delay Oppenheimer to October. Besides Kraven the Hunter (seems like the next Morbius) and The Exorcist remake there is absolutely no competition the whole month long. In November there is only Dune (and a Hunger Games prequel no one asked for). And yes of course a girls driven pixar musical film. But thats a completely different audience. October is the perfect release month!

The Imitation Game (2014) is a bit comparable to Oppenheimer. WW2 biopic about a special men who changed the war. It grossed 91 million $ in the US and 233 million $ worldwide. This numbers would make Oppenheimer a total flop. At best I see 400 million $. If Nolan has the power to lure audiences even to a film like this I see at worst 200 million $. If not, well under 100 million $ is totally realistic. We will see.

Forum Pro
It's official, THE MARVELS has been pushed back to November 10. So OPP will indeed have almost a month of IMAX exclusivity until Blue Beetle releases in August 18. The only thing I see it still potentially doing is sharing IMAX screens with MI: DR Part 1 for a week or so.

It's good news that "The Marvels" is moving off its July 28th date to November.

The bad news is bunch of tweets recently from film news sites about how amazing the reactions were to a test screening for Mission Impossible 7, which opens a week earlier to Oppenheimer.

The Haunted Mansion also moves to July 28th.

Still don't like that MI7 and Oppenheimer are gonna be a week apart. IMAX is going to be a dogfight and both deserve longer runs.