Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oppenheimer looks on paper as a prestige project to me similar to Dunkirk. For the first time it might also have B&W IMAX sequences.
With that being said, I think the film would benefit from a fall release regarding it's awards potential but not necessarily it's box office success which is what they primarily care about.
Next year looks to be a very competitive year for the Best Director race as many auteurs are coming back including possibly Francis Ford Coppola. I'd love to see Nolan getting another nomination for Director with a July release.

Whether or not they are staying true to declared release date can be determined based on whether or not they release the teaser trailer next month.

Oku wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 6:23 pm
Ace wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 11:48 am
Dune 2 moved to Nov. 17, 2023 from Oct. 20, 2023. Maybe Universal could move to the October date as they wouldn’t have much competition for two weeks when some untitled Marvel movie opens.
Of course it did. This man is physically incapable of releasing a movie at any other time than awards season lol so of course any 'delay' would have the film release even closer to awards season lmao

And yes, I know it's the studio setting the date and not Mr. Villeneuve personally. That doesn't change the fact that it's eye-rolling to see these Super-Duper-Serious directors like Mr. Villeneuve, Mr. Mendes, Mr. Wright etc. only show up when it's Oscar season, like it's their God-given right to have their Super-Duper-Serious Prestige Movie(TM) be nominated in as many categories as possible.

It's like the teacher's pet raising his/her hand at every opportunity and reminding the teacher at the end of every class that he/she forgot to give out homework. Did the student do anything wrong? Technically no. On paper, he/she is a blameless, perfect model student that everyone should strive to be like. That doesn't mean that he/she isn't annoying AF.

Look at Mr. Nolan, Mr. Peele, Mr. (Wes) Anderson, Mr. Bong, etc.. What I applaud these guys for beyond the quality of their films themselves is that their movies come out whenever, with zero cynical thought put in as to how many self-congratulatory statues they can rack up.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 12:25 pm
Ace wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 11:48 am
Dune 2 moved to Nov. 17, 2023 from Oct. 20, 2023. Maybe Universal could move to the October date as they wouldn’t have much competition for two weeks when some untitled Marvel movie opens.
October is more awards season friendly and I can see it potentially doing better at the BO in that month. But July is a lucky date for Nolan and Dunkirk managed to do quite well despite the competition. So I don't know.
Objectively speaking, October definitely is the better date. Less competition so better box office chances, and a HUGE recency bias boost meaning potentially more Oscar noms and wins.

In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that Dunkirk probably could have made more with a fall 2017 release as well, and been nominated for and won more with the recency bias boost.

And yet, precisely for that reason, I applaud them for not doing that (...yet, that is), and sticking to the July date. It's just so refreshing to have a prestige super-duper-serious drama pic refuse to walk the same beaten path that every one of them follows.

Time wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Personally I think September is the best date for Oppenheimer. There's an Equalizer film and a Quiet Place spinoff but Oppenheimer could easily slot in and claim IMAX for a month, similar to what Sully did back in 2016. Premiere the film at Toronto, Venice, etc. Taking Dune 2's old spot still means Blade or whatever MCU film takes IMAX screens a couple weeks later.

But I don't know if Nolan or Universal are just dead set on July. I think even if Oppenheimer can succeed there, they're not maximizing their opportunity. MI7 and Oppenheimer deserve longer IMAX runs than they're going to ultimately get as it currently stands. And Barbie seems like it's gonna have a big footprint too at this rate.
The man is a traditionalist. He is a traditionalist in the obvious ways (shooting on film, as little CGI as possible, etc.), but also in less obvious ways, like release date. September is traditionally a prominent dump month. He would never consent to having his movie released there, TENET being the exception due to obvious reasons lol

EOLB wrote:
June 30th, 2022, 1:07 pm
While I can't deny July is incredibly packed next and releasing it November like 'Interstellar' probably wouldn't be a bad move, I don't see it moving. And I'm still more worried about 'Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning' than 'Barbie', to be honest.

The true test will be the marketing. I'd rather wait and see how thrilling and appealing they can make this film look.
That reminds me of when Disney and Paramount worked out a deal back in 2015 to avoid audience confusion surrounding the similarly-titled Rogue Nation and Rogue One.

No idea how that's relevant here, but maybe a similar deal could happen again? :oops:
Mendes and Villenueve I can see even though I think those release dates were just well chosen regardless. Edgar Wright no, Last Night in Soho was the only one to get a fall release date (twice) and was more horror themed despite the "prestige" elements. Also I feel the same "Teacher's Pet" connotation can be said of any director who takes their films to Cannes, Venice or Toronto. So I disagree somewhat.

Sorry to lengthen that post with a reply, just wanted to add my opinion on one thing that was said.

Oku
Yeah, I wasn't referring to Mr. (Edgar) Wright, but Mr. (Joe) Wright lol

I should have been more clear; sorry about that.

Mr. (Edgar) Wright definitely belongs up there with the other praise-worthy directors who just focus on making the movie that they think is best and release whenever, without pandering to awards.

Release date news: Sony's Marvel movie MADAME WEB moves from July 7, 2023 to Oct. 6, 2023.

People are saying that Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning may move up to that date now.

Ace
Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Robert Downey Jr. Take Pay Cuts for $100 Million Feature
For actors, it’s not always about the money. Take the cast of “Oppenheimer,” a historical drama about J. Robert Oppenheimer, one of the driving forces behind the creation of the atom bomb. The $100 million production is a challenging commercial proposition given its subject matter, but Universal is taking a bet on it because it hails from the mind of Christopher Nolan. And while “Oppenheimer” has character actor Cillian Murphy in the title role, the ensemble includes such A-listers as Robert Downey Jr., Matt Damon and Emily Blunt in supporting parts. Any one of these players could command $10 million to $20 million on the open market, but for the privilege of working with Nolan, they’re giving the studio a big discount, pulling in $4 million apiece. Still, like Cruise, all have backend participation built into their deals. So if “Oppenheimer” beats the odds to be the rare serious drama to achieve blockbuster status, they could profit handsomely.
https://variety.com/2022/film/features/ ... 235320046/

Thats a massive discount

Oku
Yeah, that's kind of surprising to me, to be honest.

Obviously we're all fans here so I imagine we would work for him for free if given the chance (lol).

But these aren't ogling fans like us, they are professional actors and actresses. Hell, one of them (Mr. Downey Jr., I'm guessing) is forgoing $16 million dollars. That's sixteen MILLION dollars he/she is giving up, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Oku wrote:
July 20th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Yeah, that's kind of surprising to me, to be honest.

Obviously we're all fans here so I imagine we would work for him for free if given the chance (lol).

But these aren't ogling fans like us, they are professional actors and actresses. Hell, one of them (Mr. Downey Jr., I'm guessing) is forgoing $16 million dollars. That's sixteen MILLION dollars he/she is giving up, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Must me that script and approach is gonna rip. People don't give up money for something they don't believe in.