Box Office

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DHOPW42 wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 4:49 am
Maybe the IMAX imagery will be so mindblowing in Oppenheimer that for IMAX it is a no-brainer that they would prefer it to whatever Disney did with The Marvels...? I don't know, just guessing.
Money talks. The Captain Marvel sequel is guaranteed to bring in major cash for IMAX. Disney won't hesitate to use that leverage in speaking with the IMAX people.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
May 20th, 2022, 4:55 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
Maybe the IMAX imagery will be so mindblowing in Oppenheimer that for IMAX it is a no-brainer that they would prefer it to whatever Disney did with The Marvels...? I don't know, just guessing.
Money talks. The Captain Marvel sequel is guaranteed to bring in major cash for IMAX. Disney won't hesitate to use that leverage in speaking with the IMAX people.
Captain Marvel made 1.1B and 426m domestic with a 153m OW. IMAX will want that film in IMAX. Plus Tom cruise will want MI7 for a long run.

Open Oppenheimer in September have it premiere at TIFF

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 7:26 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
Captain Marvel made 1.1B and 426m domestic with a 153m OW. IMAX will want that film in IMAX. Plus Tom cruise will want MI7 for a long run.

would not be mad at this

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:

Yeah, I would like to see it move to a more open part of the calendar. Absolutely pointless to go through the significant challenge of shooting with 70mm IMAX film and then show it for only 7 days in that format.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
May 27th, 2022, 11:52 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

Yeah, I would like to see it move to a more open part of the calendar. Absolutely pointless to go through the significant challenge of shooting with 70mm IMAX film and then show it for only 7 days in that format.
Surely future reruns and future digital scans have been taken into account by Chris, its not only about exhibition for him, if he still believes IMAX is the superior imaging format, he will keep using it.
(though im interested in what will come of Arri`s new camera/sensor, im reading pretty incredible stuff, it looks like the true next step in digital cinematography)

Forum Pro
Noticing some interesting things re Lightyear and JW Dominion this week. Lightyear tickets just went on sale and its IMAX showtimes are super limited, the 1.43:1 theatre here (Universal Citywalk) only has one showtime at 12:30PM and AMC Burbank 16 (not true IMAX but one of the most popular theatres in LA) at 3:00PM on Thursday, June 16.

JW Dominion's premium screen showtimes are completely gone the week Lightyear releases. Lightyear has one slot for IMAX each day that whole weekend. I assumed Lightyear was going to sweep all the premium formats but it seems like Dolby is the only one it's taking over.

Perhaps Disney and Universal are discussing/making compromises but how this eventually shakes out could be a slight indication for what happens next year. Obviously, Lightyear vs JW Dominion is a very different competition than The Marvels vs Oppenheimer. As of now though, I was expecting Lightyear to completely take over IMAX screens, but it only has one showtime per day and it seems like JW Dominion will only have one week in that format.

Forum Pro
Slight update confirming something I had a feeling about. Lightyear and JW Dominion are sharing IMAX screens this weekend (showtimes have yet to reflect this). I theorized this might be a solution for Opp+Marvels next year and if it works well this time, who's to say they don't do it again?

DylanHoang wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 3:46 pm
Slight update confirming something I had a feeling about. Lightyear and JW Dominion are sharing IMAX screens this weekend (showtimes have yet to reflect this). I theorized this might be a solution for Opp+Marvels next year and if it works well this time, who's to say they don't do it again?

Nice catch there!

DylanHoang wrote:
June 7th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Unfortunately it could also be used for mission impossible and Oppenheimer.

Top Gun Maverick is eyeing $1B ww box office. This means good things for Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One.