Matt Damon will play Lt. Gen. Leslie Groves

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I keep hearing Damon saying 'big canvas', what does 'canvas' mean in filmmaking?

Forum Pro
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 10:31 am
I keep hearing Damon saying 'big canvas', what does 'canvas' mean in filmmaking?
Scope. The scale of the story is very large. But it also means that he's using a literal "big canvas" to tell it. He's not limited to a small frame. It's like painting, if you're given an 8"x10" vs a 24"x36", you have a lot more freedom or space to tell the story that you want. So it's literal and metaphorical. This is not to say that that a smaller frame can't feel big because plenty of movies do a lot with less. In a way, Dunkirk is a "small" movie since it only takes place in this stretch of several miles, but it feel like a larger canvas because of all the different perspectives Nolan utilizes.
Last edited by DylanHoang on April 19th, 2022, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DylanHoang wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 10:41 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Scope. The scale of the story is just very large.
Alright, I thought it's something like scale or so, thanks

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 10:43 am
DylanHoang wrote:
April 19th, 2022, 10:41 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Scope. The scale of the story is just very large.
Alright, I thought it's something like scale or so, thanks
It's also scale in this sense, I think.