Cillian Murphy Leads the Cast of Oppenheimer

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 9:06 pm
"But Chris is telling it in a different way"

Hmm... so not a straightfoward biopic, wonder what Nolan has up his sleeve?
Fascinating

radewart wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 9:06 pm
"But Chris is telling it in a different way"

Hmm... so not a straightfoward biopic, wonder what Nolan has up his sleeve?
This is completely expected. It would have been shocking if he said it was being told in a traditional way lol.

So not an oscar bait at all. That's nice.

Will probably have a tryptic structure.
Hard to believe this movie won’t open with the bomb.
Or it’ll cut right before they drop it. Nolan likes his big openings.

I'm curious what Murphy means in a different way. I'm wondering how Nolan can play with the timelines on this film.
Maybe showing an event of Oppenheimer's life from different perspectives(his wife and the other characters?). I don't think we will know that before the release of the film though. I don't remember hearing about the beach/sea/air timeline division before the movie came out.
I'm also very curious if they are going to show a brief clip at cinema-con 2022(end of April). I suppose it will be too early.

Pit180 wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 7:20 am
I'm curious what Murphy means in a different way. I'm wondering how Nolan can play with the timelines on this film.
Maybe showing an event of Oppenheimer's life from different perspectives(his wife and the other characters?). I don't think we will know that before the release of the film though. I don't remember hearing about the beach/sea/air timeline division before the movie came out.
I'm also very curious if they are going to show a brief clip at cinema-con 2022(end of April). I suppose it will be too early.
The timeline in Dunkirk had been talked about ever since Nolan said in an interview three months before the release that the event on the beach last a week, on the boat they last a day and on the plane they last an hour, and that he spent lots of energy trying to find a way to handle all three perspectives in the same film.
I think there'll be a storyline about the end of the 30' and early 40' (with Pugh and Blunt as main supporting cast), a storyline around the Manhattan project (with Blunt, Malek and Damon as main supporting cast), and a storyline around what happened after the war (with Downey JR, Safdie and Blunt as main supporting cast), and that all three storylines will be told simultaneously. But that's what The Prestige did already, so I still hope a big surprise and a new idea that noone saw coming, but they're hard to find.

Oku
BobCobb wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 6:52 am
[...]
Hard to believe this movie won’t open with the bomb.
Or it’ll cut right before they drop it. [...]
That would be the most conventional way to open the film if this were any other filmmaker, but this being Mr. Nolan, I would be quite disappointed if he does this.

Even just reading that sounds so generic, cliched and hackneyed.

Demoph wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 10:15 am
Pit180 wrote:
February 2nd, 2022, 7:20 am
The timeline in Dunkirk had been talked about ever since Nolan said in an interview three months before the release that the event on the beach last a week, on the boat they last a day and on the plane they last an hour, and that he spent lots of energy trying to find a way to handle all three perspectives in the same film.
I think there'll be a storyline about the end of the 30' and early 40' (with Pugh and Blunt as main supporting cast), a storyline around the Manhattan project (with Blunt, Malek and Damon as main supporting cast), and a storyline around what happened after the war (with Downey JR, Safdie and Blunt as main supporting cast), and that all three storylines will be told simultaneously. But that's what The Prestige did already, so I still hope a big surprise and a new idea that noone saw coming, but they're hard to find.
Not just The Prestige but so many biopics have done the non-linear time-jumping thing already that I have not the slightest clue what freshness he could possibly bring to the table this time

I have a crazy idea about how he can handle it, but if it really would be it, I don't want to spoil it :P

The book is very much a collection of testimonies. Your getting like a hundred points-of-view, except the main players, but from people who were there. Wondering if this will be Dunkirk but instead of 3 points of view, well have like 30. Or a Social Network-like structure where the hearing is used as the a framing device.

I've seen people speculate that the film will open on Oppenheimer's clearance trial with Atomic Energy Commision and then flashback to other parts of his life like, the Manhattan Project and relationship issues with Jean Tatlock, while the trial is taking course.
That's not that original either, but so many biopics have been made before, that unless Nolan gets really weird with it, it's gonna have a little bit of "done that before" feel to it.