Teaser Trailer

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Tarssauce wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 5:11 pm
And if this marketing plan works, why change it at this point?
Didn't really work for the last one.

I feel like marketing a biopic as if it's a superhero movie might be a little risky.

Insomniac wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 7:01 am
Tarssauce wrote:
May 16th, 2022, 5:11 pm
And if this marketing plan works, why change it at this point?

I feel like marketing a biopic as if it's a superhero movie might be a little risky.
Is there really any way of making 'Oppenheimer' look like a superhero film, though?

I don't think a one minute teaser a year in advance will hurt.

Personally, I'm much more interested in what the full trailer will look like probably in December.

Insomniac wrote:
May 17th, 2022, 7:01 am

Am I missing something? Because I think it worked very well. The hype was through the roof. The teaser was an event by itself and it generated interest without giving anything away.

To be fair, not even superhero movies use this strategy anymore, but it has worked for Nolan. It would be strange to market a drama biopic this way but apparently this is a thriller.

I keep remembering what he said about mixing different genres and bringing something new to audiences. I don’t think this is a straight up drama biopic. There’s gotta be more. He’s filming it in IMAX for goodness sake.

MyCocaine wrote:
December 25th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Very interesting. Bring on a David Lean-esque war film. Or perhaps it will something entirely different.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a sci-fi with war elements and time travel.
Sky007 wrote:
December 28th, 2015, 3:14 pm
Again, I've been firmly expecting big shades of Back to the Future/ET with this. The teen leads only add to it. Gotta be a war movie mixed with a hybrid of something.
Vader182 wrote:
December 28th, 2015, 4:10 pm
There's something odd about this.

Warner Brothers wouldn't give him this release date unless they thought he had a blockbuster. A WWII evacuation movie led by unknown teens coming out mid-July does not sound like a blockbuster. There's a missing piece of the puzzle still. Not saying sci-fi or fantasy (at all), but this could serve as the background to something grander.
ChristNolan wrote:
January 21st, 2016, 5:03 pm
How gripping can this story be really? Setting a war film around a massive retreat is interesting, but where's the kicker? There has to be one if its due out in July.
Sky007 wrote:
January 29th, 2016, 1:37 pm
Haha that's definitely this. Im now thinking the war aspect might not even be the actual story. Like, it might be about WW2 in the same way The Last Crusade uses it as a backdrop.
Willem wrote:
February 11th, 2016, 7:27 am
I'm still uncertain. Will it be just a WWII film? Or will there be more to it, like time-travel or something (I hope not)? I think the release date and the short shooting schedule in France may proove that there's more to it... But that's just a wild guess. What do you think?
Nothing changes ;)

See Nolanfans knows lol.

Obviously, time travel wasn't it but DUNKIRK was far from a traditional three hour war movie some were expecting. It ended being an epic survival-thriller/horror film with an unconventional structure and relatively short runtime.

No time travel in OPPENHEIMER either but I expect a different timeline structure at least.

This also reminds me of when we doubted getting a year out teaser for TENET till the last minute it was sent to theaters.

Forum Pro
All quiet on the trailer front with Jurassic World coming out. I guess it’s for sure coming out with Nope.

Oppenheimer doesn't seem like the type of movie that fits playing a trailer before a new "Jurassic Park", doesn't really seem like it fits "Nope", either. Also, a film's trailer doesn't always have to debut before a film from the same studio. Wasn't Tenet first teaser before "Hobbs and Shaw" which wasn't WB?

Joshua Strong wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 4:43 pm
All quiet on the trailer front with Jurassic World coming out. I guess it’s for sure coming out with Nope.
We’ve been through this with Tenet. Teasers don’t need to be announced in advance. We got the news of the teaser last minute before it played in theaters.

Obviously it doesn’t mean it’s a sure thing but it is a possibility.

Joshua Strong wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 4:43 pm
Damn it

So do we think Nolan has learned any lessons from the Tenet era or will it be business as usual? Already dreading the announcement teaser being theater exclusive or having some lame "See the teaser in IMAX for maximum effect" text on it.