Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Pioneerr wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 7:56 am
Any reactions on the cinematography?
I saw the film twice: 2K digital and 35mm film.

Hoyte`s work is AMAZING here. It remind me of The Master in color and Good Nights and Good Luck in B&W.

Uruguayan wrote:
July 18th, 2023, 8:28 am
Pioneerr wrote:

Hoyte`s work is AMAZING here. It remind me of The Master in color and Good Nights and Good Luck in B&W.
This is bang-on.

It's Dunkirk meets The Master for the color sequences. Astounding work on the whole, Hoyte has a solid chance at a nomination and winning isn't out of the question.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 3:35 am
Uruguayan wrote:
Pioneerr wrote:

This is bang-on.

It's Dunkirk meets The Master for the color sequences. Astounding work on the whole, Hoyte has a solid chance at a nomination and winning isn't out of the question.

-Vader
;)

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 3:35 am
Uruguayan wrote:
Pioneerr wrote:

This is bang-on.

-Vader
how was the 65mm stuff in IMAX? Dunkirk i remember being weirdly grainy, but i suspect indoors the grain is probably gorgeous and blends better with IMAX stuff

regarding the no CGI situation. I wonder how was the last scenes of the nuclear warheads, sky and planet on fire were created.

Gorgeous photography from Hoyte on this movie, his best work so far with Nolan. I won't be shocked if Hoyte wins the Oscar for Best Cinematography on this one.

filipeG wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 6:32 pm
regarding the no CGI situation. I wonder how was the last scenes of the nuclear warheads, sky and planet on fire were created.
was thinking the same thing

Hoyte’s got it in the bag.

El Especial wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 6:16 pm
filipeG wrote:
Maybe he filmed the smoke trails separately and superimposed them into the cloud shots?

Curious: What did u guys think of the Trinity test?
I thought it looked kinda….small. lol

BobCobb wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:31 pm
El Especial wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 6:16 pm
filipeG wrote:
Maybe he filmed the smoke trails separately and superimposed them into the cloud shots?

Curious: What did u guys think of the Trinity test?
I thought it looked kinda….small. lol
Yes, I was also expecting a bigger explosion.