Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Oku
And now who can predict the logic that will dictate which scenes will be in color and which will be in black-and-white

Regret and reflection is better conveyed with monochrome.

Oku wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 11:01 pm
And now who can predict the logic that will dictate which scenes will be in color and which will be in black-and-white
I made a post a few months ago about how I could see Nolan structuring the whole film by cutting back and forth between two narrative strands - one showing the process of developing the bomb and the other featuring the security hearing years later (sort of like how Godfather 2 cuts between young Vito and Michael’s senate hearings). This might be too obvious and too close to Memento, but I suppose it would make sense to have earlier flashback scenes in black and white with later scenes in color...

Might be the opposite, maybe. Indicating how, at least from Oppenheimer's view, the world lost its color and purpose after using the atomic bomb and indicate his guilt after Hiroshima and Nagasaki and therefore the process against him shall be in black/white.

I doubt that Nolan would present us with bomb tests in black and white, but you never know. But nevertheless, I also feel that portions of black and white shall indicate different timelines and also, that whichever timeline will present a smaller portion of the movie, shall be in black and white. :D

The next movie Nolan shoots will be pure imax, no aspect ratio changes, which is awesome.

blackColumn wrote:
March 17th, 2022, 12:37 pm
The next movie Nolan shoots will be pure imax, no aspect ratio changes, which is awesome.
The more he'll make movies, the more he'll push the boundaries of filmmaking, so this is inevitable, and I can't wait to see it.

This is exciting news. It never made sense to me why IMAX stopped making new cameras. No Time To Die could've had more IMAX scenes if more cameras were available, since Nolan had the cameras for TENET.

Hopefully, the new ones will be dialogue friendly.

I'm kinda ignorant on the subject, but even more than cameras, don't we need more actual IMAX theaters? Speaking just from a US perspective, but unless you're around a major city, a true IMAX theater is not withing reasonable driving distance. Too many people are watching on the crappy liemaxx that AMC's uses...

Oku
The viewing infrastructure can always come later. It's not really time-critical.

On the other hand, once you film the movie, that's the end of it forever. So better IMAX cameras would definitely be my priority.