Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
TeddyBlass wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 8:32 pm
KEM wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 7:24 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 8:57 pm
speaking of the subject, will we see any archive footage ? detonations tests maybe?
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the chances of that are 99% no, doesn’t at all seem like something he would do, and I hope he doesn’t, that’ll make it feel like a National Geographic biography, not a Nolan cinematic experience
I wouldn’t be so quick to assume what constitutes a Nolan cinematic experience. While not necessarily archive footage, Nolan does use footage from a Ken Burns doc in Interstellar.
its just that to me two things wich Nolan cares very much about seem to converge, usage of Film as a medium and its preservation, both as an artistic medium and as archival material, and real atomic test footage, cant get more real than that as footage goes, but who knows maybe that extensive digital work needed is the time it takes to accurately simulate a realistic atomic bomb, i bet he plans to use very strong lights to do as much a he can practically, perhaps even practical shockwave effects somehow

KEM
TeddyBlass wrote:
KEM wrote:
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 8:57 pm
speaking of the subject, will we see any archive footage ? detonations tests maybe?
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the chances of that are 99% no, doesn’t at all seem like something he would do, and I hope he doesn’t, that’ll make it feel like a National Geographic biography, not a Nolan cinematic experience
I wouldn’t be so quick to assume what constitutes a Nolan cinematic experience. While not necessarily archive footage, Nolan does use footage from a Ken Burns doc in Interstellar.
Where at? I never noticed it

KEM wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 12:54 am
TeddyBlass wrote:
KEM wrote:

at the start, the footage of people talking about the dust storms.

KEM
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:19 am
KEM wrote:
TeddyBlass wrote:

I’m gonna have to rewatch it, I’ve only seen Interstellar 2 or 3 times and it’s been a few years

KEM wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:23 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:
KEM wrote:

I’m gonna have to rewatch it, I’ve only seen Interstellar 2 or 3 times and it’s been a few years
It's cool, he recreates the esthetic of the documentary with Ellen Burstyn, so the other talking heads are from "The Dust Bowl", but she isn't but looks like it. It repurposes actual accounts and then places Interstellar into a very tangible reality. It's like how the Kieve Opera house sequence in Tenet is a direct reference to a real-life terrorist situation, and Dunkirk being filmed at Dunkirk, in the exact same spot as the evacuation.

KEM
A Borges man wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 2:10 am
KEM wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 1:23 am
Nicolaslabra wrote:

It's cool, he recreates the esthetic of the documentary with Ellen Burstyn, so the other talking heads are from "The Dust Bowl", but she isn't but looks like it. It repurposes actual accounts and then places Interstellar into a very tangible reality. It's like how the Kieve Opera house sequence in Tenet is a direct reference to a real-life terrorist situation, and Dunkirk being filmed at Dunkirk, in the exact same spot as the evacuation.
I just watched a video on YouTube and now I remember, yeah that always seemed very out of place to me, probably why I had completely forgotten about it

Hoyte is confirmed back, baby!

KEM
And it’ll be shot in IMAX of course, so excited!!

Oku
I hope that this being a biopic and not an action film, that the IMAX scenes can have a precise logic behind their usage, instead of his usual style of squeezing in as much IMAX footage in as possible by constantly shifting the aspect ratio.

Out of his films The Dark Knight comes the closest to that. There is also Star Trek Into Darkness (all outdoor scenes are IMAX, all indoor scenes non-IMAX), and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (scenes inside the death arena are IMAX).

Glad Hoyte is back!

It’ll be interesting to see how they’ll use IMAX on this. They push the format and innovate with every movie they make. It’ll be amazing no doubt.