Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Retskrad wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 11:10 am
I love you Hoyte, but Greig Fraser is the best cinematographer working today. The Batman is a visual masterpiece and it's a crime that it didn't get nominated by the Academy. Even Roger Deakins, the GOAT himself, said on his podcast that he saw the film 3 times and thought it was best shot film of 2022.
i gotta hand to you, Greig is an absolute beast, thing is he`s more into the digital production side of filmmaking, and Hoyte seems perfectly fit for Chris`s all on camera and analog approach, if anything the Hoyte Nolan and Fraser Villeneuve`s dynamics are perfect in my eyes.

I'll Hoyte over this Fraser guy. As Nicolas said he's more on the digital side and I prefer my cinematographers on the non-digital side.

bootsy wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 4:28 pm
I'll Hoyte over this Fraser guy. As Nicolas said he's more on the digital side and I prefer my cinematographers on the non-digital side.
Its interesting because its starting to diverge even more and with guys like Greig (and others like Claudio Miranda), its not even about shooting on digital anymore, its about the virtual sets, real time graphics integration, really interesting stuff, then you have guys like Roger who shoot digital, but keep a very much on camera and practical approach, and then you have the Hoyte`s and the Blaschke`s and Richarson`s who are almost completely analog, i like and hope that we keep getting all these flavors of cinematography.

trevanian wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 10:34 am
dissonance wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 3:00 am
MaxContract wrote:
August 10th, 2023, 3:15 pm

Deakins would never work with Nolan because they have a massive disagreement with film vs digital

Fraser is good but I don’t see his style working well with Nolans

I feel I’d like to see Nolan work with someone like Christopher Doyle
Interesting to know all that you're stated. What is Fraser's style and why would it not work well with Nolan?

Also what is Deakins' disagreement with film vs digital?
Deakins has just kind of evolved into a digital guy. If you look at any of his interviews since SKYFALL or so, he gives plenty of reasons, but honestly, as wonderful as the guy's work usually is, I am not impressed with his digital stuff, because it does look digital (have covered several films he shot, starting with O BROTHER and MAN WHO WASN'T THERE, up through SF and BLADE RUNNER 2049.) Now Fraser can emulate film to a certain degree when he shoots digital, but I guess Deakins embraces the different aesthetic. Deakins didn't think Bond needed to be on film because he didn't really care about the history of the franchise (hadn't seen a Bond film since the mid-60s when he got hired to shoot SKYFALL.)

I think Fraser would work well with Nolan, because I think Fraser would have no problem shooting film again. That's just going by the times I have talked with him (about DUNE and MANDALORIAN, both digital shows.)
When and how/why did you have a talk with Greg Fraser?

bootsy wrote:
August 16th, 2023, 4:28 pm
Is there a difference in the two in visual appearance, besides the film grain, and technicalities of workflow?

Film > Digital any day.

But people seem to forget one of the most beautiful looking digitally shot movies was HER. By Hoyte Van Hoytema.

Personally I think Jarin Blaschke who does Robert Eggers films and M Nights films is a better fit for Nolan than the cliche Greig Fraser choice.

BobCobb wrote:
August 18th, 2023, 1:51 am
Film > Digital any day.

But people seem to forget one of the most beautiful looking digitally shot movies was HER. By Hoyte Van Hoytema.

Personally I think Jarin Blaschke who does Robert Eggers films and M Nights films is a better fit for Nolan than the cliche Greig Fraser choice.
Blaschke is an interesting pick, but if he shares any of Egger`s philosophies he wont stand for the idea of multiple aspect ratio versions of the film, and i understand the point too, the other thing is that Nolan himself has a kind of verite style, both Wally and Hoyte have experience shooting hand held and light in a justified naturalistic way, Chris himself also shot Quay like that, i think if he wasnt a director he would be a terrific cinematographer haha, but i digress, i just thing that Blaschke doesnt really fit Nolan`s shooting style and philosophy in regards to the image.

in regards to the whole film vs digital debate, im so over it, and i think cinematographers have been to for a while now, i`ll go far as to challenge Chris`s claims that IMAX is unmatched in visual quality, i think he should just embrace and admit that he shoots on film, and large format because he likes it, and that should be reason enough for any filmmaker to choose any medium.

BobCobb wrote:
Film > Digital any day.

So this guy was arguing with me on 70mm IMAX vs Dual Laser (assuming both are in a fully equipped theater, with 12-channel sound and 1.43:1 screen). He said the Dual Laser is actually better in most ways, and that contrast and brightness is actually even better than 70mm IMAX (which I looked up and turned out to be true). I saw Opp in 70mm IMAX but didn't see it in Dual Laser (but I did see it in Single Laser, which is what most "IMAX with Laser" theaters have apparently). Would you guys agree or disagree? Is Dual Laser actually tangibly better in contrast and brightness an preferred in that regard to 70mm IMAX?

dissonance wrote:
August 18th, 2023, 12:44 pm
BobCobb wrote:
Film > Digital any day.

So this guy was arguing with me on 70mm IMAX vs Dual Laser (assuming both are in a fully equipped theater, with 12-channel sound and 1.43:1 screen). He said the Dual Laser is actually better in most ways, and that contrast and brightness is actually even better than 70mm IMAX (which I looked up and turned out to be true). I saw Opp in 70mm IMAX but didn't see it in Dual Laser (but I did see it in Single Laser, which is what most "IMAX with Laser" theaters have apparently). Would you guys agree or disagree? Is Dual Laser actually tangibly better in contrast and brightness an preferred in that regard to 70mm IMAX?
is Dual and regular laser a 4k projection ? i ask because i think we only have the dual xenon ones here, and they are 4k, but i would say if the jump in brightness and contrast is big enough over 70mm imax, then the percieved image quality could be better, Steve Yedlin has some good material on why contrast and brightness may have a way more powerful effect on the percieved resolution of an image than actual resolution

dissonance wrote:
August 18th, 2023, 1:17 am

When and how/why did you have a talk with Greg Fraser?
For articles that ran in ICG magazine on MANDO and DUNE. Was supposed to do BATMAN as well but that fell out (probably just as well, when I finally saw it, I was a little less than thrilled with how some of it seemed so obviously done with the LED wall.