Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
filipeG wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:48 pm
BobCobb wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 7:31 pm
El Especial wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 6:16 pm

was thinking the same thing
Maybe he filmed the smoke trails separately and superimposed them into the cloud shots?

Curious: What did u guys think of the Trinity test?
I thought it looked kinda….small. lol
Yes, I was also expecting a bigger explosion.
Same was kinda lackluster

BobCobb wrote:
El Especial wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 6:16 pm
filipeG wrote:
July 20th, 2023, 6:32 pm
regarding the no CGI situation. I wonder how was the last scenes of the nuclear warheads, sky and planet on fire were created.
was thinking the same thing
Maybe he filmed the smoke trails separately and superimposed them into the cloud shots?

Of course it looked small, Nolan said in several interviews that he used old school technique in photography called
Forced perspective 😂

Maximillian wrote:
July 21st, 2023, 9:00 pm
filipeG wrote:
BobCobb wrote:

After seeing this video I’m convinced the scale was realistic. Moreover, the sky was dark so we don’t see the mushroom cloud rising – further making it seem “smaller”.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 8:02 am
Maximillian wrote:
filipeG wrote:

After seeing this video I’m convinced the scale was realistic. Moreover, the sky was dark so we don’t see the mushroom cloud rising – further making it seem “smaller”.

without having seen it, but having consumed hours of atomic test footage throughout my life i can theorize that some people might have been expecting to see something that would more closely resemble the scale of the larger thermonuclear tests, im talking Ivy Mike, Bravo and of course Tsar, also also the test takes place in the desert, no visual references in sight, lets take the Beirut explosion, wich was literally 1/20 the yield of Trinity and yet it looks absolutely and terrifyingly huge, because of all the direct references of size with the buildings, and all the different prespectives.

Edit: sorry forgot to add the last bit.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 8:20 pm
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
July 22nd, 2023, 8:02 am
Maximillian wrote:

without having seen it, but having consumed hours of atomic test footage throughout my life i can theorize that some people might have been expecting to see something that would more closely resemble the scale of the larger thermonuclear tests, im talking Ivy Mike, Bravo and of course Tsar, also also the test takes place in the desert, no visual references in sight, lets take the Beirut explosion, wich was literally 1/20 the yield of Trinity and yet it looks absolutely and terrifyingly huge, because of all the direct references of size with the buildings, and all the different prespectives.

Edit: sorry forgot to add the last bit.
Having seen it, I'll just put my thoughts on this in spoilers below:
Personally, there were a few shots that revealed it to be an obviously chemical explosion (I'm thinking particularly of one shot that looked like a simple pillar of flame, and another that seemed to have "stacked" mushroom clouds, for lack of more precise terminology), but the extreme close-ups of the fireball and the wide shots showing a small mushroom cloud in the distance from behind the scientists watching were fantastic.

Saw it laser IMAX 1.90 and I was wondering how it feels to see this in 1.43 with the switching ratios considering most of it (though I didn't pay attention all the time, but the quality difference between 5 perf and 15 is night and day) seems to be 5 perf/2.20. Distracting? In 1.90, it works very well with just a thicker bottom black bar.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new IMAX film cameras (first ones supposedly ready later this year) are silent enough that Nolan can finally go nuts and shoot everything 15 perf.

i see a whole lot of new BTS images
where are these images from?
from the Unleashing Oppenheimer book?

Ace
666kalpa wrote:
August 9th, 2023, 9:27 am

i see a whole lot of new BTS images
where are these images from?
from the Unleashing Oppenheimer book?
Yeah, the digital version of the book has been out since the film but have to wait till October for the physical version.