Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
X-MementoMori-X wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 7:04 am
blackColumn wrote:
October 18th, 2021, 1:59 am
danevito wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 8:14 pm
imdb doesn't say anything about IMAX 1.43. And this doesn't seem to be that kind of movie that justifies that large format? lots of dialogue.. remember he didn't use any IMAX camera for the prestige or inception.
My feelings from the beginning. An imax biopic makes no sense.
We still don't know what kind of biopic it will be.
It doesn't have to be Darkest Hour. Maybe it's more like Mishima.
Love Mishima. Do you have the criterion? It is the most beautiful movie and physical media I own. Everyone go watch it.

It would be cool if Nolan gave it a watch before making Oppenhiemer. It is without a doubt the best Biopic, and the best movie about a writer. Also, a movie about a questionable person, perfect for his new movie.

Oku
Just thought of another wish for this, please film the entire ending scene in IMAX ratio

Dunkirk and Tenet gahhh

I think color grading of last three Nolan films has been less than stellar. Not sure how much of it is done under the supervision of cinematographer but sure miss Wally. The colors are subdued, contrast is ramped, the image is overall not amazing. The infamous green tinted image of Dunkirk should not have happened.

imo, Dunkirk's color grading is right on point

blackColumn wrote:
February 16th, 2022, 4:08 am
I think color grading of last three Nolan films has been less than stellar. Not sure how much of it is done under the supervision of cinematographer but sure miss Wally. The colors are subdued, contrast is ramped, the image is overall not amazing. The infamous green tinted image of Dunkirk should not have happened.
Not a green tint, bro. Photochemical grading is not your traditional digital color grade. If you're talking about the seafoam green in the shadows and the reflected light then your wrong...looks beautiful, get your eyes checked.

Nolan is colorblind so the onus was on cinematographer and the person color grading it. And they made it trashy green. (Make sure you watch it on a monitor with 300 PPI and above with good color and HDR, this movie is muted, ugly and monotonous and quite some people noticed that.

blackColumn wrote:
February 17th, 2022, 11:53 am
Nolan is colorblind so the onus was on cinematographer and the person color grading it. And they made it trashy green. (Make sure you watch it on a monitor with 300 PPI and above with good color and HDR, this movie is muted, ugly and monotonous and quite some people noticed that.
I saw it 70mm IMAX, and I have the 4k with a massive OLED. The movie is beautiful...quite some people noticed that.

The color grading in Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet are just as bad as the color grading in Zack Snyder films.

KEM
I loved all the green hues in Dunkirk, thought it looked amazing. And TENET also looked incredible

Retskrad wrote:
February 17th, 2022, 1:12 pm
The color grading in Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet are just as bad as the color grading in Zack Snyder films.
Can't say about Synder but there is a video on how Marvel movies look bad on youtube, the reason is primarily muted colors. We know for a fact that same applied to large extent on Interstellar, Dunkirk and Tenet (the prologues of Dunkirk and Tenet have more contrast than color).