Fan Posters

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
CASE wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 7:58 am
I don't like it. Conti doesn't look like Einstein that much to put on him such an unconventional hat in my opinion. 0% people on the planet would tell that he's supposed to be Einstein.
I get that you are enlarging this problem on purpose in a way, but I'll reply anyway. First of all, maybe viewers aren't supposed to go "hey, that's Einstein"? What I mean is, there will be plenty of information handed out beforehand that he is, in fact, Einstein (he'll probably be introduced by his name in one way or another). It's not like this is a puzzle game where you have to guess who he is by his looks. He is an actor portraying a historical figure, it's not rocket science.

But also, I think it should be lauded that Nolan isn't recreating historical faces via CGI and de-aging bullshittery - we should be thankful that he goes down the long-forgotten route of "casting actors as people", even when the person portrayed is, like, one of the most iconic faces of the 20th century. We should further be thankful that they weren't looking for an impersonator but rather an actor who can, through his craft, represent this iconic figure for a few minutes of screen time, instead of engaging in modern viewer's (inexplicable) obsession with the accurate recreation of familiar faces down to the last pixel.

If you think about it, did David Bowie look ANYTHING like Nikola Tesla? He still pulled it off, and Nolan pulled it off as well. That's just how films work. Resemblance is mostly relevant to Buzzfeed writers, but when it comes to actors being cast in historical roles... they tend not care about physical resemblance that much (another good example comes to mind: Colin Firth in The King's Speech. He didn't look like George VI at all, and he was the main protagonist of the film!)

DHOPW42 wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 8:29 am
CASE wrote:
I don't like it. Conti doesn't look like Einstein that much to put on him such an unconventional hat in my opinion. 0% people on the planet would tell that he's supposed to be Einstein.
I get that you are enlarging this problem on purpose in a way, but I'll reply anyway. First of all, maybe viewers aren't supposed to go "hey, that's Einstein"? What I mean is, there will be plenty of information handed out beforehand that he is, in fact, Einstein (he'll probably be introduced by his name in one way or another). It's not like this is a puzzle game where you have to guess who he is by his looks. He is an actor portraying a historical figure, it's not rocket science.

But also, I think it should be lauded that Nolan isn't recreating historical faces via CGI and de-aging bullshittery - we should be thankful that he goes down the long-forgotten route of "casting actors as people", even when the person portrayed is, like, one of the most iconic faces of the 20th century. We should further be thankful that they weren't looking for an impersonator but rather an actor who can, through his craft, represent this iconic figure for a few minutes of screen time, instead of engaging in modern viewer's (inexplicable) obsession with the accurate recreation of familiar faces down to the last pixel.

If you think about it, did David Bowie look ANYTHING like Nikola Tesla? He still pulled it off, and Nolan pulled it off as well. That's just how films work. Resemblance is mostly relevant to Buzzfeed writers, but when it comes to actors being cast in historical roles... they tend not care about physical resemblance that much (another good example comes to mind: Colin Firth in The King's Speech. He didn't look like George VI at all, and he was the main protagonist of the film!)
I wholeheartedly agree with every single word. And I really appreciate your first sentence. BINGO! ;)

CASE wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 7:43 am
CASE wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 7:28 am
What is this stupid hat anyway? Did Einstein really wear something like that?

(This isn't Oppenheimer with him, btw)
Huh, so my "Einstein in hat" research on google graphics and looking just at the half of the page wasn't enough... :)

I don't like it. Conti doesn't look like Einstein that much to put on him such an unconventional hat in my opinion.
0% people on the planet would tell that he's supposed to be Einstein.
He looks like some cartoon turkish guy without his flying carpet. I would go with more classical Einstein look.
But who knows maybe there are more scenes with him.
I just really hate (like who the hell would even sew such a crap) this hat and I don't know why. It doesn't even keep you warm properly, it looks dumb, I don't know...
But as I said it's a minor thing :P
I'll let Chris Nolan know

El Especial wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 8:04 pm
CASE wrote:
DHOPW42 wrote:
December 27th, 2022, 7:43 am

(This isn't Oppenheimer with him, btw)
Huh, so my "Einstein in hat" research on google graphics and looking just at the half of the page wasn't enough... :)

I don't like it. Conti doesn't look like Einstein that much to put on him such an unconventional hat in my opinion.
0% people on the planet would tell that he's supposed to be Einstein.
He looks like some cartoon turkish guy without his flying carpet. I would go with more classical Einstein look.
But who knows maybe there are more scenes with him.
I just really hate (like who the hell would even sew such a crap) this hat and I don't know why. It doesn't even keep you warm properly, it looks dumb, I don't know...
But as I said it's a minor thing :P
I'll let Chris Nolan know
No way, you're just kidding. I won't fall for that.

On the Einstein resemblance, that'll be the case with many of the actors. Damon doesn't exactly resemble the real Leslie Groves. But even if they're not the spitting image, if they can get the real life characteristics down then that's what matters more. Cillian also isn't a perfect match for the real Oppenheimer, he's close but not all the way, but if he communicates the character well then it's not a big deal.

Bravo :clap:

Ace