Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
User avatar
Posts: 720
Joined: February 2015
Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime

User avatar
Posts: 431
Joined: December 2019
Location: United States
Frankthetank wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 1:28 pm
marshallmurphy wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 10:36 am
Tenet's casting was so refreshing. Cillian Murphy is really the only exciting actor in this for me, and Kenneth Branagh. Robert Downey Jr. is okay, but even the women are boring. The thing I liked about Tenet's casting was that Nolan gave really great but definitely more "unknown" actors a chance - actors that should be well-known because they really are great at what they do, but who don't get a lot of roles for one reason or another (skin color, height). I know this film doesn't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to having a more diverse cast, due to the time period, but I just thought I would voice my love for the Tenet cast.
I wouldn’t describe Downey Jr., Pugh, Safdie as boring. These are some of the more exciting castings for me at least.
I was excited about Safdie as well, I forgot to mention him. Robert Downey Jr. is also one of the more exciting actors in the film. The boring comment was really meant for Pugh and Blunt (I'm a woman, so I feel like I'm allowed to call them boring) and most of the other men. I love Emily Blunt, but I like seeing her in lead roles and not just as an accessory to a man, which I'm assuming is the treatment she's going to get here. For me, she works better as a "bad ass" versus just being someone's wife. I don't want to rip on Pugh, but I find her boring. She always looks the same, pretty much always acts the same - there's nothing unique about her. Compared to Debicki, who despite being a giant is barely ever recognized from role to role. I understand that Hollywood prefers short women like Pugh, but it's boring. I'm only five-feet tall, and I still think it's boring. And she's been getting so many roles recently, I'm sure I'll be tired of her before this film comes out.

For me, Tenet's casting was amazing. I rememeber reading about John David Washington's casting and I was super excited. Then Debicki and Pattinson joined. Everything about the cast is perfect, in my opinion. I love it. It feels unique. It feels like I haven't seen it on screen before - and that's probably because I haven't. That being said, I'm sure this cast will grow on me, and I'm sure everyone will do a great job.

User avatar
Posts: 3402
Joined: January 2009
marshallmurphy wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 4:20 pm
I love Emily Blunt, but I like seeing her in lead roles and not just as an accessory to a man, which I'm assuming is the treatment she's going to get here. For me, she works better as a "bad ass" versus just being someone's wife.
It's definitely something we'll have to see for ourselves, but based on the book, Blunt's character is much more than just "a wife" - she is a very energetic, very peculiar, somewhat even toxic character who has an immediate and striking impact on her environment - including Oppenheimer himself. Oppenheimer, on the other hand, is a slim, physically weak and shy person who is nevertheless very charming, and sometimes becomes an emotional hothead. There's definitely a potential inclusion of the breakdown of their marriage - which includes Oppie's affairs with other women as well as Kitty's growing alcohol problem.

So if this was Scorsese, there would be tremendous potential for the portrayal of a toxic marriage. Since this is Nolan, I have a feeling that it won't be explored that much. But there's a definite potential. It's not unlike Borden's marriage in The Prestige but here the wife character is much more detailed and outlined (I mean, she was a real person, and an extraordinary one after all). And their relationships toward their children is another, rather troubling aspect, so... there's a lot to explore here. Even if Nolan will just scratch the surface, I think it's impossible for Blunt not to become the equal of Murphy here.

Posts: 182
Joined: January 2018
marshallmurphy wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 4:20 pm
Frankthetank wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 1:28 pm
marshallmurphy wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 10:36 am
Tenet's casting was so refreshing. Cillian Murphy is really the only exciting actor in this for me, and Kenneth Branagh. Robert Downey Jr. is okay, but even the women are boring. The thing I liked about Tenet's casting was that Nolan gave really great but definitely more "unknown" actors a chance - actors that should be well-known because they really are great at what they do, but who don't get a lot of roles for one reason or another (skin color, height). I know this film doesn't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to having a more diverse cast, due to the time period, but I just thought I would voice my love for the Tenet cast.
I wouldn’t describe Downey Jr., Pugh, Safdie as boring. These are some of the more exciting castings for me at least.
I was excited about Safdie as well, I forgot to mention him. Robert Downey Jr. is also one of the more exciting actors in the film. The boring comment was really meant for Pugh and Blunt (I'm a woman, so I feel like I'm allowed to call them boring) and most of the other men. I love Emily Blunt, but I like seeing her in lead roles and not just as an accessory to a man, which I'm assuming is the treatment she's going to get here. For me, she works better as a "bad ass" versus just being someone's wife. I don't want to rip on Pugh, but I find her boring. She always looks the same, pretty much always acts the same - there's nothing unique about her. Compared to Debicki, who despite being a giant is barely ever recognized from role to role. I understand that Hollywood prefers short women like Pugh, but it's boring. I'm only five-feet tall, and I still think it's boring. And she's been getting so many roles recently, I'm sure I'll be tired of her before this film comes out.

For me, Tenet's casting was amazing. I rememeber reading about John David Washington's casting and I was super excited. Then Debicki and Pattinson joined. Everything about the cast is perfect, in my opinion. I love it. It feels unique. It feels like I haven't seen it on screen before - and that's probably because I haven't. That being said, I'm sure this cast will grow on me, and I'm sure everyone will do a great job.
You also have to remember Tenet’s plot could be anything, therefore you can go for bolder casting. Oppenheimer is historical fact, so naturally you’ll be more constricted in the casting process. Still think it’s a strong cast.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 242
Joined: May 2020
Frankthetank wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 5:51 pm
marshallmurphy wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 4:20 pm
Frankthetank wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 1:28 pm


I wouldn’t describe Downey Jr., Pugh, Safdie as boring. These are some of the more exciting castings for me at least.
I was excited about Safdie as well, I forgot to mention him. Robert Downey Jr. is also one of the more exciting actors in the film. The boring comment was really meant for Pugh and Blunt (I'm a woman, so I feel like I'm allowed to call them boring) and most of the other men. I love Emily Blunt, but I like seeing her in lead roles and not just as an accessory to a man, which I'm assuming is the treatment she's going to get here. For me, she works better as a "bad ass" versus just being someone's wife. I don't want to rip on Pugh, but I find her boring. She always looks the same, pretty much always acts the same - there's nothing unique about her. Compared to Debicki, who despite being a giant is barely ever recognized from role to role. I understand that Hollywood prefers short women like Pugh, but it's boring. I'm only five-feet tall, and I still think it's boring. And she's been getting so many roles recently, I'm sure I'll be tired of her before this film comes out.

For me, Tenet's casting was amazing. I rememeber reading about John David Washington's casting and I was super excited. Then Debicki and Pattinson joined. Everything about the cast is perfect, in my opinion. I love it. It feels unique. It feels like I haven't seen it on screen before - and that's probably because I haven't. That being said, I'm sure this cast will grow on me, and I'm sure everyone will do a great job.
You also have to remember Tenet’s plot could be anything, therefore you can go for bolder casting. Oppenheimer is historical fact, so naturally you’ll be more constricted in the casting process. Still think it’s a strong cast.
Very good point

User avatar
Posts: 682
Joined: November 2019
This is what happens when there isn't major casting news in weeks, people start talking negative stuff.

This is a very exciting cast...and has a lot of potentials. I mean I think Murphy, Branagh, and D'Arcy are the only Nolan holdovers. I wonder what accent Branagh is gonna have? Downey JR will be an interesting experiment, considering Downey is doing a Nolan, new PArk-Chan Wook and a new Shane Black means he is shedding the Disney/MArvel prison he has been in. Safdie, Harnett, and DeHaan are fascinating, Harnett in particular has had a lot of untapped potential. Love D'Arcy and Dastelmalchian.

I don't really like the Malek, but that is not to say he isn't a good actor, and in Nolan's hands has great potential. I hated Aaron Taylor Johnson, citing him as my least fav actor, found that guy grating; Loved him Tenet, which wasn't a major role, but time soldier is the shit.

The danger with Blunt is that she is the befuddled wife of Captain Philips, Sully, or First Man. Kitty Oppenheimer is a very intense personality, if Nolan can pull it off, Blunt will kill the Oscars. Pugh is in the same boat, Nolan needs to really imbue her with humanity....
but, she actually could work as the Mal like spectoral wife/girlfiend...she is more complicated and I don't know how Nolan will utilize her structurally...she is the only one of the core cast that is at neither Los Almos nor the hearings.
This cast is the first cast I've seen by Nolan that is risky, like I have no idea what most of this performance are gonna look like it. IT's kind of dangerous.

User avatar
Posts: 682
Joined: November 2019
A Borges man wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 6:21 pm
This is what happens when there isn't major casting news in weeks, people start talking negative stuff.

This is a very exciting cast...and has a lot of potentials. I mean I think Murphy, Branagh, and D'Arcy are the only Nolan holdovers. I wonder what accent Branagh is gonna have? Downey JR will be an interesting experiment, considering Downey is doing a Nolan, new PArk-Chan Wook and a new Shane Black means he is shedding the Disney/MArvel prison he has been in. Safdie, Harnett, and DeHaan are fascinating, Harnett in particular has had a lot of untapped potential. Love D'Arcy and Dastelmalchian.
Forgot about Modine! Too many hot heads in this movie!
I don't really like the Malek, but that is not to say he isn't a good actor, and in Nolan's hands has great potential. I hated Aaron Taylor Johnson, citing him as my least fav actor, found that guy grating; Loved him Tenet, which wasn't a major role, but time soldier is the shit.

The danger with Blunt is that she is the befuddled wife of Captain Philips, Sully, or First Man. Kitty Oppenheimer is a very intense personality, if Nolan can pull it off, Blunt will kill the Oscars. Pugh is in the same boat, Nolan needs to really imbue her with humanity....
but, she actually could work as the Mal like spectoral wife/girlfiend...she is more complicated and I don't know how Nolan will utilize her structurally...she is the only one of the core cast that is at neither Los Almos nor the hearings.
This cast is the first cast I've seen by Nolan that is risky, like I have no idea what most of this performance are gonna look like it. IT's kind of dangerous.

Posts: 1345
Joined: December 2017
A Borges man wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 6:21 pm
This is what happens when there isn't major casting news in weeks, people start talking negative stuff.

This is a very exciting cast...and has a lot of potentials. I mean I think Murphy, Branagh, and D'Arcy are the only Nolan holdovers. I wonder what accent Branagh is gonna have? Downey JR will be an interesting experiment, considering Downey is doing a Nolan, new PArk-Chan Wook and a new Shane Black means he is shedding the Disney/MArvel prison he has been in. Safdie, Harnett, and DeHaan are fascinating, Harnett in particular has had a lot of untapped potential. Love D'Arcy and Dastelmalchian.

I don't really like the Malek, but that is not to say he isn't a good actor, and in Nolan's hands has great potential. I hated Aaron Taylor Johnson, citing him as my least fav actor, found that guy grating; Loved him Tenet, which wasn't a major role, but time soldier is the shit.

The danger with Blunt is that she is the befuddled wife of Captain Philips, Sully, or First Man. Kitty Oppenheimer is a very intense personality, if Nolan can pull it off, Blunt will kill the Oscars. Pugh is in the same boat, Nolan needs to really imbue her with humanity....
but, she actually could work as the Mal like spectoral wife/girlfiend...she is more complicated and I don't know how Nolan will utilize her structurally...she is the only one of the core cast that is at neither Los Almos nor the hearings.
This cast is the first cast I've seen by Nolan that is risky, like I have no idea what most of this performance are gonna look like it. IT's kind of dangerous.
Exactly, this is really the most Nolanian casting to date, in my eyes. And let's not forget that Nolan has an artistic intention behind all this, and that this cast is constituted for a precise purpose, they are all cogs, in a way, that will respond to the artistic, aesthetic and conceptual mechanics that Nolan will have put in place.
Just to remind you that the film is called Oppenheimer, Nolan likes to take risks, to renew himself and to try new things, but each of his films puts forward a mechanism answering a concept, in Memento, it is the state of Leonard which constitutes the mechanics of the film, In The Prestige, it is the rivalry between the two magicians and the BIG trick that is built around it, in Insomnia, it is the insomnia that Pacino suffers and how it affects his psychology, and the psychology of the antagonist. In Inception and Tenet, it's purely the mechanics of the concepts, the inception in one, the palindrome that structures the film and the name of the mission in the other.

Here, Nolan will probably do what he hasn't done for a while, articulate a mechanic around a character (and a real person for the first time) and his psychology, it will be the Cillian Murphy show, the other actors will have their importance too because they will feed Nolan's intentions.

The casting is different, because Nolan never makes the same film, even if his cinema is palpable in each, he tries to explore new things.

And you can always feel his desire to do things that he doesn't usually do in his previous films, so I feel like we're going to be surprised, and Emily Blunt is going to be amazing. And again, all the sides and elements of the story are real, so even if it's going to be his own vision of all of it, it might help building a strong character. This is the first time he's doing this kind of film.

I agree with you on the big risk of this casting, like Dunkirk back in the day, none of these people are bankables, but once again, the film will mainly focus (I think) on Oppenheimer. But I feel like only Nolan, in Hollywood, can afford this kind of casting today.

Posts: 1229
Joined: January 2019
A Borges man wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 6:29 pm

I mean I think Murphy, Branagh, and D'Arcy are the only Nolan holdovers.

Forgot about Modine! Too many hot heads in this movie!
Dastmalchian and Damon have also worked with Nolan in the past. So that's six actors working with him again.

Posts: 1512
Joined: January 2013
Good points about all the talent in this cast from above post, but are we forgetting
Matt Damon? I know he has made some insensitive comments in the recent heightened political comment that have angered people. But I think he is one of the best actors working today. He can do drama, action, and has good comedic chops also.
Does well in big blockbusters like Bourne, Martian, Saving Private Ryan, Interstellar, etc. ,but also can do smaller films like The Informant! and Margaret...

Also, I'm gonna reiterate Jason Clarke! He was awesome in HBO's Winning Time this past Sunday.

Post Reply