Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
You know who'd be an amazing Albert Einstein and I can picture him vividly in the role? Christian Bale.

Angus wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 11:58 pm

No.

I always liked Ralph Fiennes. I hope Nolan works with him. Not sure if he could do a role in this film. Not sure if he does a good American accent. Maybe FDR?

Demoph wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 8:02 am
There was usually a thread about casting, no?

Apparently Cillian Murphy is already attached, before finding financing, which usually means a big part, if not the lead, though nothing is confirmed yet.

Now, it's hard to anticipate casting not knowing much about the approach Nolan has chosen, so here are a few possibilities:

-the Beautiful mind approach: about the intimacy of the life of the scientist, in which case, there would be a big part for the actress who'd play his wife. Any casting preference?

-the Imitation game approach: the supporting cast is the people he works with to discover the A-Bomb, focusing on their dilemma, their conflicts...

-multiply perspectives: have Oppenheimer be just one of the storyline, and have other storylines all related to the atomic bomb. Their could be a Japanese storyline, Truman could be an important character...
Honestly I think he will do a film that is completely different from what anyone expects and believes a "biopic" *should* be. Just like how he made something completely unique, singular, and ahead of its time with Dunkirk. I feel like there's a lot of potential for innovative never before done type of storytelling and cinematic evocation of emotion with the story of a man creating something as significant as that of a weapon that potentially is in a way the biggest existential threat to humanity's existence. With the totally unique way he did a historical "war film", I think we can expect him to do something that is completely different than any type of historical "biopic" that's ever been done. That's what I'd expect (and want) at least, rather than a "regular" (albeit high-quality) biopic-drama.

dissonance wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 2:07 am
Demoph wrote:
September 10th, 2021, 8:02 am
There was usually a thread about casting, no?

Apparently Cillian Murphy is already attached, before finding financing, which usually means a big part, if not the lead, though nothing is confirmed yet.

Now, it's hard to anticipate casting not knowing much about the approach Nolan has chosen, so here are a few possibilities:

-the Beautiful mind approach: about the intimacy of the life of the scientist, in which case, there would be a big part for the actress who'd play his wife. Any casting preference?

-the Imitation game approach: the supporting cast is the people he works with to discover the A-Bomb, focusing on their dilemma, their conflicts...

-multiply perspectives: have Oppenheimer be just one of the storyline, and have other storylines all related to the atomic bomb. Their could be a Japanese storyline, Truman could be an important character...
Honestly I think he will do a film that is completely different from what anyone expects and believes a "biopic" *should* be. Just like how he made something completely unique, singular, and ahead of its time with Dunkirk. I feel like there's a lot of potential for innovative never before done type of storytelling and cinematic evocation of emotion with the story of a man creating something as significant as that of a weapon that potentially is in a way the biggest existential threat to humanity's existence. With the totally unique way he did a historical "war film", I think we can expect him to do something that is completely different than any type of historical "biopic" that's ever been done. That's what I'd expect (and want) at least, rather than a "regular" (albeit high-quality) biopic-drama.
It is not really wrong to assume that it'll be something completely innovative, original and different. We are talking about Nolan.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 1:24 am
I always liked Ralph Fiennes. I hope Nolan works with him. Not sure if he could do a role in this film. Not sure if he does a good American accent. Maybe FDR?
I would love that too, he's a great actor.
I really want new faces/fresh faces to work with him.

I just want him to cast Al Pacino again.

And Chalamet. That reunion is bound to happen at some point lol

Branagh will probably be in this too. Also fingers crossed for a Watanabe reunion.

Oppenheimer had a pretty thin neck, and when I think thin necks, I think Christian Bale...

He's also a pretty good actor too, I guess.

I would support Cillian Murphy being the lead, it's his time to shine.

I also hope Pattinson is brought back, specially since he was the one who basically gave Nolan the idea for this film.

And please, let Michael Caine be in this somehow. The 'Goodbye, Sir Michael' in Tenet felt 'meta' to me too, for the lack of a better word, but I hope Nolan continues to bring him back as much as possible.