Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Frankthetank wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 3:41 am
Yeah I can’t remember a peep being said about First man either?
Sully, Bridge of Spies, The Post...I could do this forever...The answer is: people don't give a fuck about any of the movies I listed. Wow, Tom Hanks is in a lot of White movies...i think he might be racist.

Frankthetank wrote:
can’t remember a peep being said about First man either?
First Man featured an entire scene with black people singing that going to the moon isn't going to help them fight racism and social inequality.

Demoph wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 4:31 am
Frankthetank wrote:
can’t remember a peep being said about First man either?
First Man featured an entire scene with black people singing that going to the moon isn't going to help them fight racism and social inequality.
Oh shit. "An entire scene"...the recital of a poem, and a fraction of screen time. None of those black actors were given characters. Is that better? Is that what people want, a brief mention that yes there was indeed POC in that period, in the geographic vicinity, but not be given characters? I think adding First Man to list stands, and should be held accountable for trying to have its cake and eat it too.

After all the drama, I think it goes back again to The Social Network poster and its message "you don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies" (not to be misunderstood with implying Nolan is perfect as no Filmmaker is, as far as I know :P). It just happens. To be fair though, since it is Nolan behind Oppenheimer a few of those people might feel he could inspire others if there was a more diverse cast in it perhaps.

The funny thing is Nolan rarely addresses these types of debates, dilemmas or however you may call it, and I think that can be more sensible because if he were to it might only end up adding fuel to the fire. The cast seems appropriate for Oppenheimer if you ask me. Diversity is great but it's wise to approach it in order to tell a story the best way possible instead of mainly making a stand on the subject like some shows tend do in recent memory while forgetting about storytelling because sending a "message" takes precedence. Not against social commentary in films but not many writers can pull it off smoothly in my opinion.

A Borges man wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 2:26 am
What's not the greatest look? That Oppenheimer is so white? He made the largest budgeted film with a Black lead in history...while not going to rectify his casts being primarily white, this, on a historical level, does count for something. The scientists at Los Almos were almost exclusively white. Many people are citing Black scientists having worked on The Manhattan Project, yes this is true; but, they didn't work at Los Almos. Those scientists were primarily working, if I remember correctly, at the Met LAb in Chicago, not at Los Almos, which is where Oppenheimer lived and worked while developing and working on the Atomic bomb. Diversity is of utmost importance in a popular medium like film, it is shocking to me that Rami Malek is not mentioned, he is Egyptian. One can make the argument that he is white-passing, or that one person makes little difference, but it needs to be noted.
Here is the big ugly BUT:
People don't get up in arms about Licorci Pizza, or The Darkest Hour, or Ford vs Ferrari, or Phantom Thread, or the Irishman, or House of Gucci ...like how many movies do I have to name? It has become very obvious that Nolan has become an internet lightening rod. Like, 2 weeks after chair-gate, Zach Snyder came out said that he actual doesn't have chairs on his sets, and no one, I mean no one gave a shit. No one talks about how poorly Inurritu treated the indigenous cast on the Revenant, like actually broke labour laws. Or the David O. Russell is a human monster, attacks his casts, and gropes trans women. Or the fact that Tarintino almost fucking killed Uma Turman. I want to just go one fucking week without Nolan drama. Holy Shit.
I mean it's not a great look that straight after a story that made several mainstream publications, Nolan's next film has an almost exclusively white cast so far, though I was just mildly joking. I didn't say it was justified either but I have no doubt that it's fueling part of the conversation here, on top of Oppenheimer's extraordinarily large cast. Does Tenet count for something? Yes! But it's also true that the large majority of Nolan's principal casts have been white and in some cases, casted white despite the source. It doesn't make Nolan a monster, nor am I suggesting so. If there's not a story reason in the case of Oppenheimer, then so be it.

FWIW, there have been plenty of people who have criticized Paul Thomas Anderson for similar lack of diversity, it's just on a much smaller scale because the vast majority of PTA's films have a tiny footprint compared to Nolan. Scorsese has gotten flak for this too. All the directors you mentioned get their fair share of flak for the things you mentioned (well more that Inarritu is just an ass, but the rumors about his latest film....), of course Nolan is a top 5 recognizable name of directors so he's gonna attract more drama. Most of it isn't going to be fair, but Nolan's not perfect, there's room for critical discussion on it without going overboard and obviously Twitter is not the healthiest place for nuanced discussion.
Last edited by Time on March 11th, 2022, 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

What a stupid discussion.

It's like complaining that Black Panther had only like 1 white actor. Imagine if people begin to complain why there was no white actors playing African counterparts.

You have to cast the right actors for the right type of movie you're making. They can be black, white, asian, anything, as long as they are right for the part and not right for manipulated masses who follow trends.

As a filmmaker you want to tell the story the best way possible. Period. What are you supposed to do? Put a black actor playing a real white character just because if that doesn't happen everyone gets offended? Give me a break.

Also, let's keep in mind the fact that plenty black, white and asian people work behind the scenes. If they kept crew members out of the movie because of skin colour, that would be a problem.

The recent news that Zoe Kravitz was turned down for The Dark Knight Rises because she was "urban" and the fact that Nolan made three Batman films and Morgan Freeman was the only person of color in all of them makes me think Nolan might be racist on a subconscious level. Dunkirk was all-white. Oppenheimer is 99% white. Interstellar had a token black scientist. There's a pattern here.

Now that I think about it, on the Tenet press tour Nolan talked about how the way JDW walks, talks and the way he's built made him cast JDW as the lead. Now that's just nasty. It frankly reminds of the white people in Get Out.

KEM
^Someone ban this clown

Retskrad wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 11:58 am
The recent news that Zoe Kravitz was turned down for The Dark Knight Rises because she was "urban" and the fact that Nolan made three Batman films and Morgan Freeman was the only person of color in all of them makes me think Nolan might be racist on a subconscious level. Dunkirk was all-white. Oppenheimer is 99% white. Interstellar had a token black scientist. There's a pattern here.

Now that I think about it, on the Tenet press tour Nolan talked about how the way JDW walks, talks and the way he's built made him cast JDW as the lead. Now that's just nasty. It frankly reminds of the white people in Get Out.
I have to admit this made me laugh 😂

Ugh...