Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Not a fan of Malek, otherwise a great cast.

Panapaok wrote:
December 10th, 2021, 6:19 pm
Not a fan of Malek, otherwise a great cast.
I'm not either...but! Before Tenet, I really had a dislike for Aaron Taylor Johnson, and I think for what he is asked to do in Tenet, he rocks. Maybe Malek will surprise, Nolan has a tendency to recalibrate actors.

User of Interest wrote:
December 10th, 2021, 3:14 pm
How does this cast stack up against Nolan’s previous ensembles in your guys opinions?

It's his most star-studded cast since The Dark Knight Rises.

But to me at least, Washington/Pattinson/Debicki had the best chemistry as far as leads go in a Nolan film. Their interactions felt natural and effortless.

But this one has the potential to be the best of the best. I'm still stoked that he's working with Blunt.

I'd have to wait for the entire cast to compare with Interstellar, which remains imo his best cast, because every part is played a very talented actor, even the smaller one are played by David Oyelowo, Topher Grace, Tim Chalamet or Ellen Burstyn! And the three leads were all at the top of their career. Look at their film/tv show released in the two or three years before, it's insane. You even get Matt Damon out of nowhere! And Caine gets one of his best part in a Nolan film

Oku
Star-power-wise, it's definitely up there with a few contenders. After TENET's underperformance and his leaving WB, I kinda get the sense that he's trying to leave as little to chance as possible(?)

Casting-fit-wise, tho? That's gotta be Dunkirk, the GOAT. Every single role in Dunkirk (save one) is perfectly cast: the everyman Tommy, the bastardly Alex, the dashing Collins, the badass Farrier, the stout Mr. Dawson, the terrified Shivering Soldier, etc. etc., all played by actors who perfectly embody their roles.

It's like the opposite of TENET, which as much as I love, consists mostly of actors/actresses reciting exposition right off the script pages in roles that could have been really played by anyone. I don't feel a sense of perfection, the "this is the best actor/actress that they could have gotten for this" feeling the way that I do with Dunkirk.

Oku wrote:
December 12th, 2021, 10:25 am
Star-power-wise, it's definitely up there with a few contenders. After TENET's underperformance and his leaving WB, I kinda get the sense that he's trying to leave as little to chance as possible(?)
If that was the case he probably wouldn’t have cast Cillian as the lead tbh.

Big fan of Pugh. Also really like Blunt. Murphy is cool.

Neutral feelings in regards to Safdie and Malek.

Don't really care about Damon and Downey.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 12th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Well I’m the opposite I tend to care more for the experienced legends rather than the flash in the pans so I care most for Damon and Downey jr and less for Florence Pugh and the rest. Pugh is actually very overrated. Hardly been in anything but as usual nowadays gets so much press and attention.

jonathantstorm wrote:
December 12th, 2021, 10:44 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
December 12th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Well I’m the opposite I tend to care more for the experienced legends rather than the flash in the pans so I care most for Damon and Downey jr and less for Florence Pugh and the rest. Pugh is actually very overrated. Hardly been in anything but as usual nowadays gets so much press and attention.
I think everyone in the cast has done legit work, even Malek (Short Term 12, Mr. Robot). Florence Pugh is most definitely not a "flash in the pan" or 'overrated'...'Little Drummer Girl', 'Little Women', Lady Macbeth', 'fighting with my family'...you should have more respect for someone who is this good at such a young age and has already amassed quite the filmography.