Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
radewart wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 7:36 pm
Good points about all the talent in this cast from above post, but are we forgetting
Matt Damon?
I know he has made some insensitive comments in the recent heightened political comment that have angered people. But I think he is one of the best actors working today. He can do drama, action, and has good comedic chops also.
Does well in big blockbusters like Bourne, Martian, Saving Private Ryan, Interstellar, etc. ,but also can do smaller films like The Informant! and Margaret...

Also, I'm gonna reiterate Jason Clarke! He was awesome in HBO's Winning Time this past Sunday.
I always liked him, I think he always delivers solid performance, and one of his best, in my opinion, is probably in Rounders.

Seeing more and more criticism of the all-white cast on twitter. I respect people's frustration, but I don't know what people want with a historical film. My personal belief is that a director should try to tell the story as accurately as possible. Unless it's something like Shakespeare or other works of classical literature then it's fine to be less strident about race. Denzel was great as MacBeth!

I mean should Nolan change the race of actual people who are important figures to the story being told? Wouldn't a better solution be, if Hollywood (and this is something Nolan and other big name directors should help facilitate) would spend equal time and money on telling historical stories of other races/ethnicities, instead of focusing mainly on stories about White American/European history most of the time?

radewart wrote:
March 10th, 2022, 8:25 pm
Seeing more and more criticism of the all-white cast on twitter. I respect people's frustration, but I don't know what people want with a historical film. My personal belief is that a director should try to tell the story as accurately as possible. Unless it's something like Shakespeare or other works of classical literature then it's fine to be less strident about race. Denzel was great as MacBeth!

I mean should Nolan change the race of actual people who are important figures to the story being told? Wouldn't a better solution be, if Hollywood (and this is something Nolan and other big name directors should help facilitate) would spend equal time and money on telling historical stories of other races/ethnicities, instead of focusing mainly on stories about White American/European history most of the time?
Instead of focusing on the stories of other races/ethnicities, I feel like we need more original films with non-white actors in the lead role (Tenet). I also feel like we need more films with non-short actresses in the lead role (Tenet). Filmmakers should start branching out, it makes movies much more exciting. It's part of what made Tenet great. Nolan cast a black man as the lead and didn't make it about his race, and he cast an extremely tall woman next to him and didn't make it about her height. This never happens in Hollywood. Go Nolan!

Pretty much everyone in the comments is complaining how white the cast is.

I keep on seeing people on twitter brining up "Hamilton" and how it's okay to change the race of people in historical films. And that is the dumbest comparison...that I don't even know where to begin with that :crazy:

Allstar wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 12:24 am

Does it matter what a bunch of people on Twitter are saying? Most of the time people are just saying stupid shit.

The conversation around and about diversity in film is always important...Always. I don't think changing the race of these real life people would work...especially because so much of this story is about who the American government, in the 1940s, allowed to work on such a secret, massive, world changing project.

A Borges man wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 12:48 am
Allstar wrote:

Does it matter what a bunch of people on Twitter are saying? Most of the time people are just saying stupid shit.

The conversation around and about diversity in film is always important...Always. I don't think changing the race of these real life people would work...especially because so much of this story is about who the American government, in the 1940s, allowed to work on such a secret, massive, world changing project.
I don't think it should be about changing the race of real life people, but I suppose the question is, were there POCs involved in the Manhattan Project at all, and if so, are they represented. If not, why. I genuinely don't know, I'm asking.

And if not, well, what can you do. It does speak to some of the projects Nolan chooses from time to time but I would at least hope that future projects will be more diverse when reasonably suited for it. I will say after all the hooplah with Zoe Kravitz recently, it's not the greatest look....

Time wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 1:58 am
A Borges man wrote:
March 11th, 2022, 12:48 am
Allstar wrote:

I don't think it should be about changing the race of real life people, but I suppose the question is, were there POCs involved in the Manhattan Project at all, and if so, are they represented. If not, why. I genuinely don't know, I'm asking.

And if not, well, what can you do. It does speak to some of the projects Nolan chooses from time to time but I would at least hope that future projects will be more diverse when reasonably suited for it. I will say after all the hooplah with Zoe Kravitz recently, it's not the greatest look....
What's not the greatest look? That Oppenheimer is so white? He made the largest budgeted film with a Black lead in history...while not going to rectify his casts being primarily white, this, on a historical level, does count for something. The scientists at Los Almos were almost exclusively white. Many people are citing Black scientists having worked on The Manhattan Project, yes this is true; but, they didn't work at Los Almos. Those scientists were primarily working, if I remember correctly, at the Met LAb in Chicago, not at Los Almos, which is where Oppenheimer lived and worked while developing and working on the Atomic bomb. Diversity is of utmost importance in a popular medium like film, it is shocking to me that Rami Malek is not mentioned, he is Egyptian. One can make the argument that he is white-passing, or that one person makes little difference, but it needs to be noted.
Here is the big ugly BUT:
People don't get up in arms about Licorci Pizza, or The Darkest Hour, or Ford vs Ferrari, or Phantom Thread, or the Irishman, or House of Gucci ...like how many movies do I have to name? It has become very obvious that Nolan has become an internet lightening rod. Like, 2 weeks after chair-gate, Zach Snyder came out said that he actual doesn't have chairs on his sets, and no one, I mean no one gave a shit. No one talks about how poorly Inurritu treated the indigenous cast on the Revenant, like actually broke labour laws. Or the David O. Russell is a human monster, attacks his casts, and gropes trans women. Or the fact that Tarintino almost fucking killed Uma Turman. I want to just go one fucking week without Nolan drama. Holy Shit.

Also Dastmalchian is of Iranian descent fwiw.

can’t remember a peep being said about First man either?