Cast

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 8:06 pm
Announce the rest of the all~star ensemble already :twisted:
Before Tenet's ensemble was revealed, we got the three main leads. Been saying this but I doubt we get the full ensemble before early next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big name/third lead within a couple of weeks.

Bacon wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 8:31 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 8:06 pm
Announce the rest of the all~star ensemble already :twisted:
Before Tenet's ensemble was revealed, we got the three main leads. Been saying this but I doubt we get the full ensemble before early next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get a big name/third lead within a couple of weeks.
I also think it depends on the nature of his projects, I don't think the management is always the same (promo, announcements etc.. ), I have the impression that he has certain projects that play the mystery card to the fullest, especially when it comes to his films that involve an original SF concept, that's why for Inception or Tenet (where it was all about ideas coming from him, material coming from him), there was really almost no information until the very end, and there was a much stronger anticipation.

Now I think it's different, because of the nature of the project, I expected that after Murphy's announcement, we wouldn't have anything for another month or two and we'd have to wait again, and then there's the casting announcement about Emily Blunt, so I think we'll have a lot more information than we think in a much shorter time.

And that's not really to our displeasure!

Oku
The casting for this film has been two out of two so far, and they're knocking out of the park.

It's a totally different mood from the TENET casting days when the reactions were positive, sure, but also muted and cautious--with the final film itself ending up proving the initial mixed reactions correct, to a certain degree.

As Dunkirk being a total 180 from Interstellar showed (little dialogue, short runtime, no melodrama, etc.), I do think this is his Dunkirk v2, i.e. a course-correction film that specifically addresses the complaints about his previous film (Interstellar/TENET).

If that is the case, then the film will probably also have crystal-clear dialogue to put the inaudible dialogue criticism to rest, as well as of course having strong characters (of course, due to its nature of being a biopic, but also) to address criticisms of TENET lacking characters.

Tenet is truly a remarkable and phenomenal film, and it is a synthesis of everything that Nolan undertakes, creates and has always undertaken when it comes to materializing all his obsessions, his questions about the metaphysical, philosophical, scientific nature of things (time, fatality, belief etc...), he does so by creating a whole world and an original concept in it and then uses a genre/story that best fits to bring that concept.

So Nolan purely achieved his vision with Tenet, which is very different from an Inception for example, he was able to achieve a form of additional maturity and experience, a greater freedom too. So he made a daring film.

But I think Nolan doesn't think in terms of a single form, so every project is thought differently for him, but it's true that when you look at it, Dunkirk was kind of the opposite of Interstellar (in terms of nature), and here you could see the same thing with Oppenheimer being an opposite response (creatively) to Tenet.

But I think it's purely from Nolan himself, who is always trying to renew himself and see what difference he could make in each of his projects, in the way he conceives them, in the way he approaches them.
Last edited by Nolan62 on October 20th, 2021, 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KEM
Personally I hope this movie is just as loud as TENET, I want them to turn the music way up and brickwall the entire movie like TENET, best film experience I’ve ever had

Yeah blasting that noise when Cillian Murphy and Emily Blunt's characters are having one of those emotional oscar-moment conversations that every biopic has, that should work.

Just kidding I just hope it gets loud when it need to get loud and very much looking forward to the rather quiet scenes where we can appreciate the actors performance.

Oku
Now we just need the main antagonist/villain to be cast, and then we'll have the main trio, right?

I want Mr. Hardy, but I know that that's a choice quite lacking in imagination lol

Oku wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:57 am
Now we just need the main antagonist/villain to be cast, and then we'll have the main trio, right?

I want Mr. Hardy, but I know that that's a choice quite lacking in imagination lol
I love hardy, but considering Murphy is Irish, and Blunt is a brit; we are gonna need at least some Americans. Keep thinking about Josh Brolin, or Tracy Letts, maybe Matt Damon? Jesse Plemons (the meth-Damon rises).

A Borges man wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 3:13 pm
Oku wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:57 am

I love hardy, but considering Murphy is Irish, and Blunt is a brit; we are gonna need at least some Americans. Keep thinking about Josh Brolin, or Tracy Letts, maybe Matt Damon? Jesse Plemons (the meth-Damon rises).
To see Jesse Plemons working with Christopher Nolan is something I would really love to see in the future!! And I'm sure it'll happen one day.

Jesse Plemons would be great. So would Adam Driver or Mark Ruffalo. Matt Damon feels too big for a film where the lead is played by Cillian Murphy. As was said before, I don't think we'll have big names like Damon, Gosling or Bradley Cooper.

Tracy Letts is of course a good idea. Simple rule: anybody who was in Little women is a good idea (except Watson). That of course includes Bob Odenkirk if his health problems are behind him. Talking of Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks would be perfect.