Soundtrack: Göransson Returns

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Who Will Score Nolan's Oppenheimer/A-Bomb/WWII Film?

Göransson
58%
Zimmer
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 90

Nolan62 wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 6:47 pm
Completely agree with that, Zimmer started the movement with Dunkirk but we know how much Nolan pushed him to his limits, and that was demanding for him (notably through the fact of merging the three narrative structures with the music etc...), and Nolan went even further with Ludwig, with a film of a different nature but also with a form of abstraction and an experimental narrative structure to work on musically.

I think that Nolan will find here a new angle of approach that will be surprising, to say the least, and that will require a form of musical experimentation, and that he will therefore call upon Göransson again.
Dunkirk is the most technically difficult score ever made, & it's not even close. Nolan said "No one's ever mixed music in this way, and no one ever will again" (BAFTA Q&A in London).
Plus, Zimmer's work is generally more abstract. It's infinitely harder to create a simple tune that has the ability to carry an entire film than it is to use Hip-hop/EDM influences to carry a rhythm (something any good EDM artist can do lol).

321Music wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 2:22 am
Dunkirk is the most technically difficult score ever made, & it's not even close. Nolan said "No one's ever mixed music in this way, and no one ever will again" (BAFTA Q&A in London).
I still can't believe they lost the Oscar that year :(

KEM
Give Hans' team to Ludwig and he's washing him, and that's not even a diss to Hans, after all he's the reason I decided to pursue media composition as a career, but Hans has an absolutely massive team with the best the world has to offer dedicated to their specific strengths, Ludwig is pretty much a one man show, he has like 2 assistants and a few synth programmers he hires from time to time, but for the most part he does it all himself. If you gave him Zimmer's team he'd pretty much be unstoppable

Nah! Obviously having a big team helps but Zimmer has proven himself way before he got the team he has. Listen to the suites he creates by himself - it's all there.

filipeG wrote:
September 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm
And yes, I've heard the Mandalorian score. There are some nice pieces, but still..... In all of Göranssons soundtracks, there's not one that touched me like the interstellar soundtrack.
But it's unfair to any composer and to any other score to be constantly compared to Interstellar. Hans himself hasn't even made a score like that since. Interstellar will always be, well... Interstellar lol.
Bale Fan wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 1:31 am
I also gotta disagree with people’s assessment that Göransson doesn’t have the sensibility to do “intimate” or “emotional” pieces. “Betrayal” and “The Protagonist” work perfectly well at setting the pensive and wistful mood in their respective scene.
Too many quote on this one, but I totally agree.

Just that tiny little nod to Betrayal at the end of the movie gives me chills every time.

KEM wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 5:03 am
Give Hans' team to Ludwig and he's washing him, and that's not even a diss to Hans, after all he's the reason I decided to pursue media composition as a career, but Hans has an absolutely massive team with the best the world has to offer dedicated to their specific strengths, Ludwig is pretty much a one man show, he has like 2 assistants and a few synth programmers he hires from time to time, but for the most part he does it all himself. If you gave him Zimmer's team he'd pretty much be unstoppable
Wrong. There is no world where Ludwig "washes" Hans. If you look at the cue sheet of any Zimmer score, all the best tracks are done by Zimmer himself. Heck, the reason why Interstellar stands out is because Hans did it all by himself & therefore every track is on the highest level.

The matter of the fact is that Zimmer is more talented & prolific than Ludwig & it's evident time & time again.

If Zimmer sticks with Denis then Nolan would be getting the short end of the stick (which is still fantastic but subpar).

There's so much misunderstanding of artists, art and the workings of the film industry on the forums these days :D

KEM
321Music wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 5:26 am
KEM wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 5:03 am
Wrong. There is no world where Ludwig "washes" Hans. If you look at the cue sheet of any Zimmer score, all the best tracks are done by Zimmer himself. Heck, the reason why Interstellar stands out is because Hans did it all by himself & therefore every track is on the highest level.

The matter of the fact is that Zimmer is more talented & prolific than Ludwig & it's evident time & time again.

If Zimmer sticks with Denis then Nolan would be getting the short end of the stick (which is still fantastic but subpar).
Pretty much none of those cues are solely Zimmer, Interstellar is probably the score he put the most amount of input into and it’s easily the weakest score he did with Nolan, Lorne Balfe put pretty much all the cues together for The Dark Knight Trilogy, and all of his recent stuff has pretty much been all Steve Mazzaro and Andrew Kawczynski, Hans is amazing, no doubt about it, but his team does a ton of heavy lifting.

Ludwig is at a very advanced skill level with multiple instruments, and he also has much more abilities as a composer because his music theory and composition knowledge is at a much higher level. Hans is a better synth programmer, and he has much more experience in the industry, but look at what Ludwig has done at just 37 years old, by the time he’s Hans’ age he WILL be the king of the industry, no question about it

No Interstellar score slander in here, please. I have it on good authority that it's a bannable offense.

KEM wrote:
September 12th, 2021, 6:22 am
Pretty much none of those cues are solely Zimmer, Interstellar is probably the score he put the most amount of input into and it’s easily the weakest score he did with Nolan, Lorne Balfe put pretty much all the cues together for The Dark Knight Trilogy, and all of his recent stuff has pretty much been all Steve Mazzaro and Andrew Kawczynski, Hans is amazing, no doubt about it, but his team does a ton of heavy lifting.

Ludwig is at a very advanced skill level with multiple instruments, and he also has much more abilities as a composer because his music theory and composition knowledge is at a much higher level. Hans is a better synth programmer, and he has much more experience in the industry, but look at what Ludwig has done at just 37 years old, by the time he’s Hans’ age he WILL be the king of the industry, no question about it
Not even gonna reply to your Interstellar comment tbh. As for the rest of the paragraph, anyone who knows a thing or two about Zimmer's working method knows that you are heavily downplaying his contribution.

Yes, Ludwig probably is a better player than Hans.. But Hans is still the better composer. He used his lack of formal education to his benefit which enabled him to continually revolutionize the industry over & over again. Ludwig will never have Zimmer's innate ability. Period. It's something you're born with. Just listen to both of them talk, it doesn't take much to realize that Zimmer is more insightful & overall functions at a higher mental plane.

Not to mention Zimmer's insane dedication to his craft, he's notorious for being the hardest working composer out there. Ludwig is insanely diligent as well but there's levels to it, & he's more chill. Want examples? Harry-Gregson Williams said Hans writes music for 23 out of the 24 hours a day (Edith Bowman podcast) and just this week Hans said in a BMW conference that even at his age (64) he's only starting & has no plans of slowing down whereas on the SCORE podcast last year, Ludwig admitted to being satisfied with how far he's come.

Want me to dig even deeper? Did you know that Ludwig took a 3 month vacation from music last year after Tenet? Hans writes music each & everyday to this day. Heck, in the documentary "Der Sound für Hollywood" his wife revealed that he only took 2 and a half days off for their honeymoon & that's it! Never took a vacation after that for years. Not that you need these examples for proof, his output shows! So don't tell me Ludwig is catching up anytime soon. He will be the biggest future composer, but he won't touch Zimmer territory unless he radically improves... & even then he'll be lacking Zimmer's mental capacity...

Apologies for the ramble, but when it comes to this industry, I know my shit & Hans not only is more brilliant than Ludwig, but is also willing to go to higher measures to achieve excellence. And that, my friend, is why he's been at the top all these years & is staying there.

Gosh I hate putting one artist down (especially Ludwig) in favor of the other but you left me no choice...

Also, Zimmer is not just a composer. He's an "all around creative collaborator" as Chris Nolan put it. He contributes to the film in more ways than one.

You can learn more about that in "The Nolan Variations" .. for example, the whole idea of (Interstellar spoiler alert) a parent being a ghost in his children's past came from a dinner Chris and Emma had with Hans in London during Christmas Eve (which followed by a snow fight between the three at Piccadilly Square).

The idea of Romilly listening to a thunderstorm through his earphones was also Zimmer's. The boy singing the anthem in TDKR as well. Hans also told helped Chris & Lee Smith cut the scene where Bruce first gets swarmed by bats in the bat cave... The examples are endless!

Hans isn't just a musical secretary. He's someone who challenges & pushes Chris in every way & vice versa. He's arguably his most important collaborator. Ludwig strikes me as someone who's too polite to be challenging Chris the same way (I could be wrong but unlikely given their apparent personalities).

"We fight like cats and dogs but in the best, the most productive way. We love each other, with everything that comes with that. We fight like brothers at times and we love like brothers.
It’s an extraordinary partnership and a wonderful creative collaboration, but we do things and dive into things fully. And when you do that, passions run high. Always with great respect for each other and great love for each other, but we do challenge each other, and we do fight about things. But I think in the best way possible."

- Christopher Nolan on Hans Zimmer.