Soundtrack: Göransson Returns

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Who Will Score Nolan's Oppenheimer/A-Bomb/WWII Film?

Göransson
58%
Zimmer
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 90

321Music wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:27 pm
Tarssauce wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 8:02 pm
Would appreciate a link to the interview, please.

I guess lots of people would think Nolan kind of replaced Zimmer but it’s likely that Zimmer didn’t want to return. Zimmer stopped working with Ridley Scott for example.
This is the interview he's referring to I believe. It's not recent though, it's from 2017

Also, both Zimmer & Göransson have a very experimental approach so I don't think that's been a factor in Nolan's decision. I just think Nolan & Zimmer have moved on (who knows if temporarily or forever) to new creative directions in the meantime. Göransson & Villeneuve are fantastic at what they do & will help break new ground for Nolan & Zimmer respectively. Plus Hans not only is busy with Dune Part 2 (He confirmed he's begun writing for it now) but also has a tour in 2022, so no way is he gonna have enough time to manage a Nolan project simultaneously.
They both have an experimental approach, but when you look at it, Zimmer still has a symphonic approach that maybe Nolan didn't want anymore, I mean, when you hear the Dune score, it's very experimental but it still has this sense of epicness and symphonie that belongs to him.

Ludwig is in another playfield, and that completely corresponds to the way Nolan approachs his movies now.

Long live the Ludwig/Nolan era.

Also : without clicking to the video, that Nolan's face is magic.

"You don't want to work with me anymore Hans, is that it?"

KEM
Both are definitely experimental but Ludwig has a much more modern approach to it because he’s much younger and has more modern influences and collaborators, Zimmer obviously has the greatest sound design pretty much ever but there’s still an old school approach to his music, both are amazing and Nolan wouldn’t have made a bad decision with either but I personally am a much bigger fan of Ludwig and I’m glad he was the pick and will continue to be going forward, he has a much fresher approach

Nolan62 wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:33 pm

They both have an experimental approach, but when you look at it, Zimmer still has a symphonic approach that maybe Nolan didn't want anymore, I mean, when you hear the Dune score, it's very experimental but it still has this sense of epicness and symphonie that belongs to him.

Ludwig is in another playfield, and that completely corresponds to the way Nolan approachs his movies now.

Not looking to argue who's better/more experimental. It's no secret I find Zimmer to be superior (you can find my points in previous comments I wrote on this forum) but I still appreciate Ludwig's ability & I'm looking forward to what he brings to this project.

Also, regarding the Dune score. Check this out & see if you can find anything as remotely this experimental :)

321Music wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Nolan62 wrote:

Not looking to argue who's better/more experimental. It's no secret I find Zimmer to be superior (you can find my points in previous comments I wrote on this forum) but I still appreciate Ludwig's ability & I'm looking forward to what he brings to this project.

Also, regarding the Dune score. Check this out & see if you can find anything as remotely this experimental :)

Dude, this is just early 2000s Zimmer + Lisa Gerrard....get it...it's vaguely oriental make sure there is a lady warbling. Don't get me wrong love Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and M:I2...but don't try to sell this as new and experiment. In fact, more evidence that without Nolan, Zimmer is moving backwards......did Nolan invert Zimmer?

321Music wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Nolan62 wrote:

I agree with you, it's experimental, but what I mean is that you can still globaly feal the kind of vast musical atmosphere he create, and when I say that, I totally love it, he's one of the greatest composer working today.

But Ludwig plays and matches/connects sounds and music in a different way. But that's what makes them two differents composers, and they're both great. But Ludwig has something so original that I'm very excited about the prospect of him enterring a collaboration with Nolan now.

A Borges man wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:47 pm
Dude, this is just early 2000s Zimmer + Lisa Gerrard....get it...it's vaguely oriental make sure there is a lady warbling. Don't get me wrong love Gladiator, Black Hawk Down and M:I2...but don't try to sell this as new and experiment. In fact, more evidence that without Nolan, Zimmer is moving backwards......did Nolan invert Zimmer?

... I mean if you knew the tiniest bit of info about Dune you'd know Denis wanted the female presence in the score. Not to mention it's completely different to Gladiator as a score.

Nolan62 wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 5:51 pm
I agree with you, it's experimental, but what I mean is that you can still globaly feal the kind of vast musical atmosphere he create, and when I say that, I totally love it, he's one of the greatest composer working today.

But Ludwig plays and matches/connects sounds and music in a different way. But that's what makes them two differents composers, and they're both great. But Ludwig has something so original that I'm very excited about the prospect of him enterring a collaboration with Nolan now.
Fair enough. I see your point of view.

KEM
Hans’ experimentation is more in the way of sound design, Ludwig’s experimentation is more in the way of crossing genres. I mean TENET is basically all EDM and trap sounds with djent rhythms, and then doing it all inverted. Hans NEVER would’ve done that, never in a million years, Hans has the best sound designers in the game and his sound design is impeccable, if anything I’d like to see them work together in the future

KEM
And on a technical level Ludwig is a much more knowledgeable composer, he has a higher level of education in the field and is capable of writing much more complex music than Hans is. Completely subjective as to who you like more but that isn’t something you can argue

KEM wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 6:09 pm
Hans’ experimentation is more in the way of sound design, Ludwig’s experimentation is more in the way of crossing genres. I mean TENET is basically all EDM and trap sounds with djent rhythms, and then doing it all inverted. Hans NEVER would’ve done that, never in a million years, Hans has the best sound designers in the game and his sound design is impeccable, if anything I’d like to see them work together in the future
I'd like to see them work together as well. Would be a trip for sure.
As for Tenet, I would have loved to see how Hans would've approached inversion.