Soundtrack: Göransson Returns

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Who Will Score Nolan's Oppenheimer/A-Bomb/WWII Film?

Göransson
58%
Zimmer
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 90

A Borges man wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 7:08 pm
I mean, Lisa Gerrard is on the Dune soundtrack, No? Hardly spreading misinformation comparing Zimmer's new work to his older work...both featuring women warbling in order to imbue the score with some orientalist energy...mate.
If that's all you took out of listening to the sketchbook, it's not worth continuing this conversation.

Some of the cues in the sketchbook seem straight out of the dark knight, cool sounds but thats what i mean when i say Zimmer has found his sound and is comfortable exploring that specific palette.

Yeah im glad im not the only one who heard a bit of tdk/previous zimmer scores from the dune score

KEM
It’s not uncommon for composers to quote/reference themselves, I can assure you it isn’t intentional. Every composer has specific habits and techniques that they use, that’s what makes up their “sound” in the first place, so it’s inevitable that a composer will end up doing something similar to what they’ve done before, whether it be a motif, a certain sound, a chord progression, etc. and don’t forget that composers get hired for projects based on their previous works, so producers/directors always want the composers to do something similar to what they did on a film that made them interested in hiring them in the first place

Oku
After seeing Dune, Team Göransson now all the way baby

Oku wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:56 am
Yes, it is!

KEM
Oku wrote:
I’m seeing Dune today, obviously I’m a Göransson fanboy so he was already my choice by I’m interested to hear why Dune made you not want Hans

i cant speak for oku but while i love the score i guess im not too floored like others by the incorporation of that kind of female vocal. like it’s GREAT don’t get me wrong but ive seen it done before in fucking tw3 and quite better. other than that i feel the tenet score have more standouts than the dune one. still a excellent score (i have it on my phone and been listening religiously, srsly i don’t hate it), but i just like the tenet score that much.

No time to die score> Dune score.

Also love Zimmer for not using the John Williams score for Superman, the Elfman score for Batman, but then putting a lot of John Barry for Bond.

Oku wrote:
exactly what's on my mind when I was watching Dune

guys no intention to be mean but i think our good old zimmer has lost it