Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
EXCLUSIVE: Christopher Nolan is readying his next film, and Deadline hears that like Dunkirk, it will focus on a seminal moment in World War II. This one is J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb during WWII. Here is a bombshell development: while none of Nolan’s recent movies had gone outside Warner Bros, I’m hearing that several of the major studios across town are reading the screenplay and speaking with Nolan and his reps.

This might be residue from the umbrage Nolan took when WarnerMedia declared its intention to go day and date with its entire 2021 movie slate, without forewarning talent, their reps or even the studio’s financing partners in the films. Nolan, among the superstar directors who are the most vociferous supporters of a good old fashioned theatrical release, was outspoken in his ire on WarnerMedia’s move. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Warner Bros is among the studios in the mix on this, but clearly it has lost pole position. Warner Bros followed Nolan’s directives in releasing his last film, Tenet, even though the film’s grosses suffered because the pandemic was still raging, and moviegoers weren’t ready to return to theaters en masse at that point. The film still grossed $363 million, the biggest global number since the pandemic erupted, outside F9, Godzilla Vs. Kong and Black Widow. Nolan and his wife/producing partner Emma Thomas did not have a formal deal at the studio, but like Clint Eastwood, they have been very loyal about making their films there. Those collaboration led to billions in box office receipts.

Details are a bit scant at the moment on casting, but I’m hearing talk that Cillian Murphy might be involved. He collaborated with Nolan on two of The Dark Knight films, Inception as well as Dunkirk, is in the mix. The project has the sweep of his last historical epic Dunkirk, looking at WWII from the development of the atomic bombs that ended the war with Japan. So there will clearly be many big star parts.
https://deadline.com/2021/09/christophe ... 234829960/
Last edited by nolannolanchrischris on October 8th, 2021, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wow we may get it at the end of next year, I kind of sounds as a smaller movie

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
God I can't wait for this. So good to finally know what he's doing next.

Ace
The film would carry a substantial budget, believed to be over $100 million, which could make it less attractive for some studios.

And again, expect the unexpected.
We absolutely don't know where and how far he'll go on this new project. But it's already sure to be something different, a new approach and a strong improvement in his filmography.

And Cillian Murphy.

CAN'T WAIT.

We already want to know more :lol:

Sounds like it still will be large scale like Dunkirk just not action really.

Kind of glad he’s not doing another crazy sci fi concept.

And OMG Cillian!!! Will he finally give him a lead?!?! With him being the first name mentioned in casting … maybe?!?!

Allstar wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Sounds like it still will be large scale like Dunkirk just not action really.

Kind of glad he’s not doing another crazy sci fi concept.

And OMG Cillian!!! Will he finally give him a lead?!?! With him being the first name mentioned in casting … maybe?!?!
I just hope that people won't see it as an easy way to see him taking up a WWII subject again :lol:

The subject, the story, the angle seems to be completely new and different at the moment. And it will!

he’s gonna bomb a Japanese city isn’t he

This is beyond exciting! The subject matter, WWII again! I’m so hyped right now (such a Nolan fanboy).

I wonder how fast this will go into production. Late 2022 or Summer 2023?

I have no doubt that a studio or several are absolutely willing to give him the budget he needs.