Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Here comes the 'Retard' guy... :D

CinemaCon is going on this week...Universal presents their upcoming slate on Wednesday...maybe Nolan gives them a little tease to show of Oppenheimer??? Not likely, but a person can hope.

something like a title design would even be nice

Forum Pro
I know that Cinemacon is an event that markets upcoming titles within its calendar year (so between this week and next Cinemacon), so anything Oppenheimer related will have a better chance at next year's. But a title/logo reveal might not be that out of the realm of possibility.

WB pissed at Nolan, gonna release the "Barbie" movie head-to-head against Oppenheimer next year... :D

Forum Pro
Oppenheimer is my most anticipated movie of 2023. Nolan is my favorite working director. But one week before its release is Mission Impossible 7 and the week after is Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Now with Barbie releasing on the same day, there must certainly be some sweaty palms at Universal. Obviously Barbie has a different demographic but one has to imagine there is some overlap. Another obvious is that people can always watch both opening weekend but how many will make that decision? Oppenheimer will have IMAX screens for one week only and who knows if it will dominate other premium formats the weekend of its release. I'm both curious and nervous as to how this will play out; are there any glaring factors I'm overlooking that should wane or heighten my thoughts regarding the situation? What is the possibility that Oppenheimer moves from its July date?

Warner Bros is so petty. I love it.

Oku
radewart wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 8:47 pm
WB pissed at Nolan, gonna release the "Barbie" movie head-to-head against Oppenheimer next year... :D
That's great news, honestly. The man produces his best-received work when he is challenged/threatened. He had to prove to the world that TDK was no fluke, and we got Inception. After Interstellar's not-so-enthusiastic critical reception, we got Dunkirk.

With Dunkirk, the man was back to being on top; he achieved the trifecta (rave reviews, box office smashed, dozens of Oscar noms), with nowhere left to go. So it was only natural that he would make something like TENET, which I absolutely adore, but at the same time recognize that it is complacent and self-indulgent, and not nearly as radical as Dunkirk.

Now that TENET has received the most mixed reviews of his career, the fire is lit again. He has to prove to the world again that he's still got it. And hopefully, that means that we will be rewarded with an innovative, radical film a la Dunkirk.

DylanHoang wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 9:02 pm
Oppenheimer is my most anticipated movie of 2023. Nolan is my favorite working director. But one week before its release is Mission Impossible 7 and the week after is Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Now with Barbie releasing on the same day, there must certainly be some sweaty palms at Universal. Obviously Barbie has a different demographic but one has to imagine there is some overlap. Another obvious is that people can always watch both opening weekend but how many will make that decision? Oppenheimer will have IMAX screens for one week only and who knows if it will dominate other premium formats the weekend of its release. I'm both curious and nervous as to how this will play out; are there any glaring factors I'm overlooking that should wane or heighten my thoughts regarding the situation? What is the possibility that Oppenheimer moves from its July date?
First, there's little chance that Oppenheimer only gets IMAX screens for one week.

Second, Oppenheimer is not moving. The man loves the third weekend of July so much that he's basically freezing a movie that could easily be released in December 2022 in storage for seven months just so that he can have it out on his favorite weekend.

My completely unfounded side theory is that his superstitious love for the third weekend of July grew even fiercer after TENET moved to September 2020 and then proceeded to disappoint at the box office. I feel like that that only confirmed in his eyes the holiness of that date lol

-

And also WTF did some posts get blipped or something? I swear Ace posted some interviews from two of the actors, but it's gone now; and I posted a reply to someone replying with the set photos to my question a few pages back, and that's gone too.

Tenet really didn't disappoint too much at the box office, especially when you factor in global box office. Also, it was released when covid was still going strong, so no realistic person is gonna blame Nolan for its under-performance.

Also, who knows what this Barbie movie even is...a comedy? Is it a satire? Is it aimed at kids? I'm much more concerned about being sandwiched between Mission Impossible and Ant-Man.

That being said, after reading the book, and just looking at recent performance of adult-themed movies at the box office, I can't see this being a huge box office success. I hope I'm wrong, though, and it doesn't mean the movie can't be really great, still.

Forum Pro
Oku wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 9:32 pm
radewart wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 8:47 pm
That's great news, honestly. The man produces his best-received work when he is challenged/threatened. He had to prove to the world that TDK was no fluke, and we got Inception. After Interstellar's not-so-enthusiastic critical reception, we got Dunkirk.

With Dunkirk, the man was back to being on top; he achieved the trifecta (rave reviews, box office smashed, dozens of Oscar noms), with nowhere left to go. So it was only natural that he would make something like TENET, which I absolutely adore, but at the same time recognize that it is complacent and self-indulgent, and not nearly as radical as Dunkirk.

Now that TENET has received the most mixed reviews of his career, the fire is lit again. He has to prove to the world again that he's still got it. And hopefully, that means that we will be rewarded with an innovative, radical film a la Dunkirk.

DylanHoang wrote:
April 26th, 2022, 9:02 pm
First, there's little chance that Oppenheimer only gets IMAX screens for one week.

Second, Oppenheimer is not moving. The man loves the third weekend of July so much that he's basically freezing a movie that could easily be released in December 2022 in storage for seven months just so that he can have it out on his favorite weekend.

My completely unfounded side theory is that his superstitious love for the third weekend of July grew even fiercer after TENET moved to September 2020 and then proceeded to disappoint at the box office. I feel like that that only confirmed in his eyes the holiness of that date lol

-

And also WTF did some posts get blipped or something? I swear Ace posted some interviews from two of the actors, but it's gone now; and I posted a reply to someone replying with the set photos to my question a few pages back, and that's gone too.
Super great points you've made there. I didn't realize that pattern with him re Inception +Dunkirk till you pointed it out and Dunkirk is my favorite movie of all time. So do we think Oppenheimer and Ant-Man will do some sort of shared IMAX schedule? Because with it coming out the week after, I only assume it will take those screens. After all Ant-Man and the Wasp was released in IMAX back in 2018.