Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
It's all there at The Nolan Variations :o
"It is among those included in an anthology of speeches Oppenheimer gave after the war, threading the needle of his ambivalence about nuclear technology, which Robert Pattinson gave to Nolan as a gift at the film’s wrap party."
“It’s eerie reading, because they’re wrangling with this thing they’ve unleashed. How’s that going to be controlled? It’s just this most monstrous responsibility. Once that knowledge is out there in the world, what can you do? You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. It was a savvy, thoughtful wrap gift, actually, because, like you, I’ve grown up in the postnuclear age. In Graham Swift’s Waterland, there’s a whole section about apocalyptic thinking. We’ve grown up in the shadow of the ultimate destructive knowledge. There’s very little you would miss if that technology disappeared. It’s like that Sophocles line they quote in Angel Heart, which is the only reason I know it: ‘…how terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the man that’s wise?’ To know something is to have power over it, generally, but what if the reverse is true, if knowing something gives it power over you?”

Cills stans unite

natalie wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 9:04 pm
It's all there at The Nolan Variations :o
"It is among those included in an anthology of speeches Oppenheimer gave after the war, threading the needle of his ambivalence about nuclear technology, which Robert Pattinson gave to Nolan as a gift at the film’s wrap party."
“It’s eerie reading, because they’re wrangling with this thing they’ve unleashed. How’s that going to be controlled? It’s just this most monstrous responsibility. Once that knowledge is out there in the world, what can you do? You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. It was a savvy, thoughtful wrap gift, actually, because, like you, I’ve grown up in the postnuclear age. In Graham Swift’s Waterland, there’s a whole section about apocalyptic thinking. We’ve grown up in the shadow of the ultimate destructive knowledge. There’s very little you would miss if that technology disappeared. It’s like that Sophocles line they quote in Angel Heart, which is the only reason I know it: ‘…how terrible is wisdom when it brings no profit to the man that’s wise?’ To know something is to have power over it, generally, but what if the reverse is true, if knowing something gives it power over you?”
I'm actually reading the book, and it's fantastic. Didn't reach that part yet.

My god, this project is going to be something.

Oh i do hope Cillian is going to be in this movie.

In case Nolan starts shooting in early 2022, Lee Smith should finish working with Vaughn (still filming) after Lame finishes working with Wilde (already in post-production).
Hoyte isn't busy at the moment.
(I checked IMDB for these informations, was surprised Lame isn't working on the next Baumbach :shock: )
For the music, I guess Zimmer and Goransson could both fit it in their schedule if Nolan asks early enough. But which one will he ask?

Oh dear lord, it’s happening

This project really has the potential to be both a very human and intimate drama and a big scale powerful drama at the same time (about the moral consequences of such an invention that weighed on Oppenheimer and at the same time about all the consequences on the human level that this invention generated), with material for a great dramaturgy.

I don't know why but I'm already thinking about First Man when I look at it.

Perhaps Nolan's finest film yet? In terms of emotional power. I hope so!

LMAO

He had a girlfriend who killed herself, so Nolan could focus on her instead, to keep good habits.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Ace wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Sources say that Nolan and his camp are talking to Sony and Universal, with conversations also taking place with Warners. The talks are at the highest executive levels. Universal and Warners had no comment while Sony could not be reached for comment.
Sources say that Nolan and his camp are talking to Sony and Universal, with conversations also taking place with Warners and Paramount. The talks are at the highest executive levels. Universal, Warners and Paramount had no comment while Sony could not be reached for comment.
Hollywood Reporter updated to this to include Paramount.

If we get any Japanese perspective.... Ken Watanabe reunion?