Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Now +1 year of waiting... I think Nolan's films tend to benefit from a longer post-production period, but I wonder what extra work Oppenheimer will need compared to the rest. I think I remember when we first got news about the project, some mentioned it would have extensive digital effects? Not sure.

radewart wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 3:40 am
I wish Nolan/Universal would consider a Thanksgiving release or Christmas. Plenty of time to get the move ready for the end of the year, and next July looks like a blood bath. Don't want any part of that new Mission Impossible movie.
Yeah, while Twitter is pitting it against 'Barbie', I'm really worried thanks to that film instead.

EOLB wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 8:51 am
radewart wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 3:40 am
I wish Nolan/Universal would consider a Thanksgiving release or Christmas. Plenty of time to get the move ready for the end of the year, and next July looks like a blood bath. Don't want any part of that new Mission Impossible movie.
Yeah, while Twitter is pitting it against 'Barbie', I'm really worried thanks to that film instead.
Dunkirk came out the same month as Spider-Man Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes, and it (along with the other two) made it's money back. July being packed is nothing to worry about, especially since there's enough time for some of these films to move to different months.

If it has wrapped, I'm surprised that Universal are not pushing for a festival and 2022 launch.

In any case, perhaps Nolan will find time to work on the Bond reboot now he might actually be free when that film goes into production

Honestly this bond reboot feels coming out of nowhere. Nolan is all about one at a time, being very focused when tackling on a certain project, especially when it's post-prodution. Plus Tenet is his Bond and I don't see him stepping into the territory of franchise filmmaking again.
Last edited by DUNKIRKIE on May 22nd, 2022, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

KEM
Wow, that was VERY fast

I think in regards to the post-production: we know there was quite detailed plate work being filmed (in New York no less, in busy metropolitan places). This tells us that their will be a lot of compositing and assembling of footage, probably for the time period. That also tells me that there is probably period model work (we know how much Nolan loves models). Also, the bombs: I'm gonna take a guess that if its CGI, like the wormhole in interstellar it might be so detailed and massive that it might take a few months to render...or if it's a Douglas trombellesque practical effect (ala 2001, tree of life) they are going to be working on it in the studio for a good amount of time, you can't rush that stuff.
As others have point out as well, the absences of action makes shooting a different process. Also, who knows the might have shot an insane amount of footage, and need a year to edit this thing. It is not unheard of: Scorsese and Telma do it all the time.

The film schedule seems quick compared to Tenet and the Batman flicks shooting schedule, but it was longer than The Prestige and only around a couple weeks or so shorter than Dunkirk.

Waitedalongtime wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 9:12 am

Dunkirk came out the same month as Spider-Man Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes, and it (along with the other two) made it's money back. July being packed is nothing to worry about, especially since there's enough time for some of these films to move to different months.
I think those were different times to where we are currently at now and who knows how 2023 will be. Oppenheimer is most likely going to be different than Dunkirk too and with a longer runtime probably. Now, Nolan's name still pulls through mainly, the topic and cast are also an attractive point but Mission Impossible being a sequel (specially after the quality of the other movies), Tom Cruise, and its trailer getting rave reviews so far can be of concern, specially the big action set pieces mentioned about the trailer. In that sense, Oppenheimer might be more about visual splendor, so to speak, mixed with horror perhaps but action is more enticing for a wider audience. Of course, that's just my take.

Let’s hope for the best either way. Nolan's brand carries a lot of weight thankfully.

Yess!! So this is it!

This is exciting time, I think it has the potential to be one the best and most amazing films Nolan will do(hoppefully), all the signs are pointing out: The post-Tenet(which was amazing and a synthesis of all the obsessions/thematics and style he can have/adopt) nature that this project will have, the casting(Murphy's first role in a movie!) and just simply the story, his depth and resonance that it has and will have, and the stylistic/cinematic forms that Nolan will have in response to that, which will be quite original and suprise us to say the least.
Now we're even more enterring the anticipation phase, the wait for the teaser is already here, lets just hope he'll arrive very soon, normally and probably this summer!
:gonf: :gonf: