Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I think this is going to be an epic and long character study about Oppenheimer, so yeah, we can expect a very dense film, but AND with something built with Nolan's sensibilities, so something pretty crazy and something he's never attempted before, so not so traditional in the end.

It's all about Oppenheimer, so not just about the making of the atomic bomb, there will be so much more, but But the Manhattan Project will be a pivotal element that will determine all the events and sens of the film, what happens before and after will be influenced by this event, and I feel that in this way, Nolan will play around that.

When I think that his biopic on Howard Hughes was apparently phenomenal, I feel that this project will be close to it, in terms of ambition and approach, and I expect something completely crazy, because it was the only time (with his first films, including Memento) that Nolan made his step into a real character study(I mean a film that explore a single figure and built a concept around it).

I can feel something closer to his earlier films here, but mixed with the maturity and great scale of his recent ones.

Maybe the anti-Tenet, in a way.
Last edited by Nolan62 on December 9th, 2021, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nolan62 wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 8:25 pm
I think this is going to be an epic and long character study about Oppenheimer, so yeah, we can expect a very dense film, but AND with something built with Nolan's sensibilities, so something pretty crazy and something he's never attempted before, so not so traditional in the end.
Yeah, I also can't imagine him doing a birth-to-death biopic. While probably not as experimental as say, Mishima, probably in the Aviator (I know, I know) or Social Network mode. I can see some sort of structural devices like the hearing or the bomb tests to anchor the whole narrative. Fuck it maybe the movie goes backwards.

A Borges man wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 8:33 pm
Nolan62 wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 8:25 pm
Yeah, I also can't imagine him doing a birth-to-death biopic. While probably not as experimental as say, Mishima, probably in the Aviator (I know, I know) or Social Network mode. I can see some sort of structural devices like the hearing or the bomb tests to anchor the whole narrative. Fuck it maybe the movie goes backwards.
Yeah, I mean look at Memento, all the things is structurally and conceptually constructed in order to fully and formally illustred Leonard sensibilities and psychology(I mean the film plays litteraly around that, and once you understand that, you completely get the film and see how beautiful it is), so I can totally see Nolan trying to find a form that, hasn't been done for a long time, and that is purely responding to everything that is rattached to a character, that is coming from the character(and not a larger concept which embodies more things and where his characters respond to it, like Inception, Interstellar, Tenet, even Dunkirk), and that's what excites me the most about this project, the fact that he'll probably try to go back to his earliers films, but we don't know yet, as for now, it's purely suppositions made by me.

But this is going to be experimental, Memento is experimental, and this is as of today, the most character study he's made in his filmography.

Oppenheimer will all deal with the complexity of the character, and he'll fully play around it, expect something special.

Nolan62 wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 8:40 pm
]
I can totally see Nolan trying to find a form that, hasn't been done for a long time, and that is purely responding to everything that is rattached to a character, that is coming from the character(and not a larger concept which embodies more things and where his characters respond to it, like Inception, Interstellar, Tenet, even Dunkirk), and that's what excites me the most about this project, the fact that he'll probably try to go back to his earliers films, but we don't know yet, as for now, it's purely suppositions made by me.

But this is going to be experimental, Memento is experimental, and this is as of today, the most character study he's made in his filmography.

Oppenheimer will all deal with the complexity of the character, and he'll fully play around it, expect something special.
Mmmm I think that in Inception almost everything is coming from the characters because it’s their psyche and they deal with their own subconscious acting as an obstacle and a solution. The way I see it, it does have concept and certain plot characteristics but there really aren’t opposing externals forces, in the strict sense of the word, interfering with the story presented that they must overcome using the concept because Cobb could’ve just kept living his life the way he was before (however dangerous) and not accept Saito's proposal. The main force moving the story is Cobb, really, in my opinion. There is a plan created by the team which is mainly centered around implanting an idea into a person's subconscious that may come to change everything about him psychologically (which I still wonder. Also based on a lie, sort of tragic), like it happened with Mal, but with the goal of Cobb getting to his family. Then again, one can wonder whether everything was in his head as well since the film kind of alludes to this a bit.

My point is that I think Nolan hasn't been that far from character centered stories as some people make it out to be, and now he could be going for something more focused on this which might include aspects from his unmade Hughe's film although we do not know what it was either but I believe this would be a better approach than him trying to make it at some point, imo at least. Also, based on Dunkirk (also big experimental project) and Tenet's line, he is surely bringing experimentation with him for this one too. However, while I do like the enthusiasm, Nolan could have something else in mind than what we are all expecting for Oppenheimer so maybe let's not jump to conclusions yet. Expectations can be conflictive.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 10:51 pm
My point is that I think Nolan hasn't been that far from character centered stories as some people make it out to be.
In his last two films, the lead didn't even have a name, and here the name of the lead is the name of the movie. It's quite the change in the approach.

I want to see how and if he is going to play with time and non-linear storytelling. All the films maybe not the Dark Knight trilogy play with time. He did it in Dunkirk in a way that I didn't expect at all. It shocked me how he made this war movie a Nolan film.
I hope he does something equally creative here!

Doing a biopic in a non-linear way wouldn't be new. Social Network or Irishman have quite complex structures for example. He would need to do more if he wants to do it in a way that has never been done before, like Dunkirk or Memento (there had been a film where each scene happened before the previous scene (and a Seinfeld episode), but never two storylines, one going backward, the other going formward until they meet)

delete
Last edited by Retskrad on December 10th, 2021, 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

I'm not sure he wants to do something just for the sake of being innovative. I think he willl go for a "traditional" non-linear biopic if it is what the story demands. Or, heck, maybe even a linear one.

The Social Network was the best film of the 2010-2020 decade and it was a biopic that was told in non-linear fashion. I doubt Nolan can make a biopic anywhere near as good as The Social Network.