Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Tarssauce wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:47 pm
This is beyond exciting! The subject matter, WWII again! I’m so hyped right now (such a Nolan fanboy).

I wonder how fast this will go into production. Late 2022 or Summer 2023?

I have no doubt that a studio or several are absolutely willing to give him the budget he needs.
Same feeling here.

I've learned not to wait too long for his projects to be announced(even if it's hard :lol: ), as he settles in and takes all the time he needs to develop them. But when it comes out of the blue like that, I love it.

Probably in 2022 yes, for a 2023 release.

It'll probably involved the whole "Manhattan project" thing, so maybe some filming in New York?

When you look at it, all of this is very Nolan-ish, it synthetises all his obsessions/thematics sensibilities.
Last edited by Nolan62 on September 9th, 2021, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nolan wants 100 million for the budget... This will not be a small project.

If it ends up being this, I did not see coming another biopic. Regardless, I was skeptic when he announced Dunkirk but was beautifully surprised so let's do this.

I’m ready for whatever he may drop on us. :P

Nolan62 wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:57 pm
Same feeling here.

I've learned not to wait too long for his projects to be announced(even if it's hard :lol: ), as he settles in and takes all the time he needs to develop them. But when it comes out of the blue like that, I love it.

It'll probably involved the whole "Manhattan project" thing, so maybe some filming in New York?

When you look at it, all of this is very Nolan-ish, it synthetises all his obsessions/thematics sensibilities.
I actually meant release date :)

With Tenet, things got announced within months subsequently. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start filming soon once the film finds its home. But considering it’s a new studio and all a 2023 release is more likely. I expect Nolan will do things practically so post production won’t be as long as you’d expect from a movie with that budget. Who knows really.

Read that he talked about Oppenheimer in the Nolan Variations book (which I haven’t read yet) so I need to get a copy ASAP.

No way this is a straight up drama. He’ll find a way to make it fresh and new just like Dunkirk.

Tarssauce wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 8:19 pm
Nolan62 wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:57 pm
Same feeling here.

I actually meant release date :)

With Tenet, things got announced within months subsequently. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start filming soon once the film finds its home. But considering it’s a new studio and all a 2023 release is more likely. I expect Nolan will do things practically so post production won’t be as long as you’d expect from a movie with that budget. Who knows really.

Read that he talked about Oppenheimer in the Nolan Variations book (which I haven’t read yet) so I need to get a copy ASAP.

No way this is a straight up drama. He’ll find a way to make it fresh and new just like Dunkirk.
Yep.

And Tenet dealt with world war and atomic bomb/destruction themes(among others things of course) so it could be seen as a continuity he already had in mind right after having finished Tenet.

I think a late 2023 is most likely probably play in film festivals. It could try for a 2022 release date but it would need to start filming in December which I don’t think will likely happen

Ace
Sources say that Nolan and his camp are talking to Sony and Universal, with conversations also taking place with Warners. The talks are at the highest executive levels. Universal and Warners had no comment while Sony could not be reached for comment.

Ace wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Sources say that Nolan and his camp are talking to Sony and Universal, with conversations also taking place with Warners. The talks are at the highest executive levels. Universal and Warners had no comment while Sony could not be reached for comment.
Funny because Sony and Universal don't even have any sort of film editing facilites/ steenbeck on their lots. It's all gone digital. The Prestige was edited on the WB lot even though it was a Disney film for the same reason

Forum Pro
Law
ChristNolan wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 7:45 pm
he’s gonna bomb a Japanese city isn’t he
He is no doubt going to build a "grand scale city" somewhere in the desert and bomb the fuck out of it.. in IMAX.

Feels much more like an award contender, and less a big summer blockbuster than his previous films. It's a big budget, but Scorsese's films are also very expensive despite not having lots of action. Also, Nolan alone takes 20 millions.

I don't need Cillian as a lead, in Inception and Dunkirk, he had one of the most interesting character despite limited screentime. I'm happy if he gets the same kind of part.