Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Ace

"It's slightly longer than the longest we've done," he says. "It's kissing three hours." That makes it his longest feature yet, beating Interstellar's 2 hours and 49 minutes.

He continued: "I think of any character I've dealt with, Oppenheimer is by far the most ambiguous and paradoxical. Which, given that I've made three Batman films, is saying a lot."

"The script was so emotional, and it reads like a thriller," Emily Blunt, who plays Oppenheimer's biologist wife Katherine, recalled. "It's almost like he's Trojan-Horsed a biopic into a thriller. It's really pulse-racing, the whole thing. I was just completely arrested by the story, the portrait of this man, and, I guess, the trauma of a brain like that."

Ace wrote:
May 20th, 2023, 5:08 am

"It's slightly longer than the longest we've done," he says. "It's kissing three hours." That makes it his longest feature yet, beating Interstellar's 2 hours and 49 minutes.

He continued: "I think of any character I've dealt with, Oppenheimer is by far the most ambiguous and paradoxical. Which, given that I've made three Batman films, is saying a lot."

"The script was so emotional, and it reads like a thriller," Emily Blunt, who plays Oppenheimer's biologist wife Katherine, recalled. "It's almost like he's Trojan-Horsed a biopic into a thriller. It's really pulse-racing, the whole thing. I was just completely arrested by the story, the portrait of this man, and, I guess, the trauma of a brain like that."
Super interesting description, if Interstellar can be that length so can this. I wonder if the film will feel like a race against time thriller then pull the rug out from under you to reveal the total pyrrhic victory of this goal being achieved.

I'm really interested in this subjective/objective concept and how it's all gonna be structured. Maybe already obvious, but one thing I noticed is that we're most likely going to have multiple scenes play out in both color and black and white.

From Trailer 1

From Trailer 2

Look at the background, I'm pretty sure they're the same.

Good catch. I haven't thought of that.
Never thought the two would overlap timeline wise.

Exactly two months to go for me!

I hope it doesn’t cut to black and white during the same scene.

Innovator wrote:
May 20th, 2023, 9:18 am
I'm really interested in this subjective/objective concept and how it's all gonna be structured. Maybe already obvious, but one thing I noticed is that we're most likely going to have multiple scenes play out in both color and black and white.

From Trailer 1

From Trailer 2

it be cool if some scenes fade from black and white to color like in Memento.

Innovator wrote:
May 20th, 2023, 9:18 am

From Trailer 1

From Trailer 2

good eye!

Wow, definitely didn't anticipate that, since I was still thinking along the lines of the film being in color before 1945 and B&W after, even with the objective/subjective distinction. Maybe the main plot will start with Joe-1 and go through the security hearing all in B&W, while flashing back to earlier scenes from before, during, and after the war in color, including scenes already seen previously in B&W but now presented differently in a kind of Rashomon-esque way?

From Film-Tech forums, where projectionist and other film professionals often posts, here is print counts being made for Oppenheimer:

70mm IMAX - 30
70mm 5 perf - 113
35mm - around 80

http://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/digi ... #post29604

Poster is supposedly employee at Fotokem where film prints are made.

physicshistoryguy wrote:
May 21st, 2023, 12:48 am
Wow, definitely didn't anticipate that, since I was still thinking along the lines of the film being in color before 1945 and B&W after, even with the objective/subjective distinction. Maybe the main plot will start with Joe-1 and go through the security hearing all in B&W, while flashing back to earlier scenes from before, during, and after the war in color, including scenes already seen previously in B&W but now presented differently in a kind of Rashomon-esque way?
That is how I assumed the movie was going start.